•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C9.25 for imaging.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2005 - 01:18 PM

what do you guys think about a C9.25 with a WO Focuser for imaging?

:) anything I should know about being a bad imager?

This will be $825 for OTA...

#2 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:27 PM

Mewlon !

#3 markf

markf

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:28 PM

Hi Emanuele,

It really all comes down to the mount :). For planets, any good tracking mount will work well.

For DeepSpace, long exposure stuff, you'll need a stable and accurate mount, which I'll let the others recommend, as I'm no expert.

But to answer your question, yes, the C9.25 should perform quite well for imaging. Just be sure it collimated! ;)

Mark

#4 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:32 PM

NHRob, I know about the Mewlons, but I decided to go with something less expensive, since I will need: an autoguider, software, CCD Camera...lots of accessories, so I can't really spend a lot on the scope right now.

Mark: I'm sorry but I dont know why my signature did not show up. I have a Gemini G-11 with Gemini for the mount

#5 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:45 PM

interesting , you first started looking for an stf7 I saw this come up on astromart..looks like the 9 .25 might be the better way to go.

Hi looking for a little more aperture so anyone interested in a high quality STF mirage with the following:
Excellent soft padded travel case and origional shiping crate
7x50 Finder and quick release holder.
Camera Holder
1/8 mirror and test certificate
cooling fan
dew shield

Looking for a C9.25SGT or preferably a Nexstar C9.25

#6 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:51 PM

Mike...

I've been in contact with Richard :) After speaking with him I decided to go with the 9.25 for a lot less money! :)

Here's a big help I need. I just received an e-mail from a person that has a Carbon fiber OTA: he flocked the inside of it and the optical axis too, and meticoulosly collimated afterwards.
It sounds great...it has a lot of accessories, but I'm a little weary about the touched optics though...should I be?

#7 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:57 PM

sooner or later it will have to collimnated.
as long as they are not scratched ,chiped ,etc and the coatings are good. you can re-collimnate if you need to.

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

In my opinion, the 9.25 is the finest all around scope for the short money that you can get.

The really serious guys in imaging on CN recommend starting with a small refractor like your Megrez for imaging. http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1 That said, again, as far as SCT's go the 9.25 is a fine choice. You will want the carbon fiber version for added focusing stability. In addition, the XLT does make a difference in my opinion and many others here - more contrasty views --- blacks are blacker and objects are brighter. So... a C9.25 XLT carbon fiber will set you up perfectly.

The Losmandy is a fantastic choice as well for imaging. The big imaging guys here recommend a GEM over a fork.

Many of imaging guys swear about getting a Robo-focus. Ask them what focuser works best with this.

Good luck!

Imaging is not my forte, tried it and WOW what a lot of work and patience needed!

#9 pstarr

pstarr

Skylab

No, I don't think you should be, since I'm the guy that did the work. I was not happy with this scope when I bought it. You can go back through and read all my posts. It has evolved into a great scope. At least you know its history. I'll vouch for its performance.
------------
Paul
C-9.25 CF XLT
soon to be 10" F-6 Zambuto

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 12 July 2005 - 03:05 PM

sooner or later it will have to collimnated.
as long as they are not scratched ,chiped ,etc and the coatings are good. you can re-collimnate if you need to.

Yep! Anyone who says otherwise is full of balony!

However, I constantly TWEEKED my 11" but the 9.25 are more forgiving for what reason I know not - I am not a scope designer so I won't speculate! They require, in MY experience of owning a couple, fewer tweeks and have always provided tighter images.

Get a scope cooler .... it comes in handy!

#11 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2005 - 03:13 PM

hey pstarr!! :)

Didn`t know you where here in CN too! That is so great!! :)
Will look around for your posts...now I'm interested a lot to see what you did to it.

Thanks Piano and Mike :)

#12 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 July 2005 - 03:19 PM

if I did not have a bunch of Meade's that would be on my list.
I used to want an 11" carbon fiber with the fastar option..but I got deals i couldn't pass up on the Meade's.
also I noticed an st-4 autoguider pop up here that might be worth a look. though if you are imaging with a ccd you may be able to guide with an lpi or such ast the laptop will be there. there are posts on that in the ccd and dslr section.
But I have never heard many bad things about the st-4

I have always found it easier to spend other peoples money.. :roflmao:

#13 pstarr

pstarr

Skylab

Posted 12 July 2005 - 04:48 PM

Mike...

I've been in contact with Richard :) After speaking with him I decided to go with the 9.25 for a lot less money! :)

Here's a big help I need. I just received an e-mail from a person that has a Carbon fiber OTA: he flocked the inside of it and the optical axis too, and meticoulosly collimated afterwards.
It sounds great...it has a lot of accessories, but I'm a little weary about the touched optics though...should I be?

actually what I said was that I flocked the inside and meticulously centered the optical axis,(not just the secondary), That is to say when you look down the front of the tube all the relflections are concentric. In many sct they are not. Alignment is spot on but will most likely get jared if shipped.
-------------
Paul
C-9.25 CF XLT
soon to be 10" F-6 Zambuto

#14 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:26 PM

yup i can understand that Paul :)

#15 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:26 PM

Paul,
What type 10" f/6 scope are you building??
Rob

#16 pstarr

pstarr

Skylab

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:31 PM

Paul,
What type 10" f/6 scope are you building??
Rob

Hi Rob,
It will be as follows. 12" dia. aluminum tube, flocked the entire lenth. I might not paint the outside for better heat transfer. It will have a antares 1/25th wave 1.83" secondary for a 18.3% obstruction and a .30 fully iluminated feild. I will use a protostar curved secondary support for no spikes and less total diffraction. I have a low profile JMI focuser and a univ. optics mirror mount that I most likly will modify.
I was lucky enough to get a new 10" F-6 Zambuto mirror directly from Carl Zambuto. From time to time he makes one or two available trough his users group forum. Hope this answers your question
---------------
Paul
C-9.25 CF XLT
soon to be 10" F-6 Zambuto ( tube info )

#17 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:51 PM

Paul...

dor some strange network reasons I cant access my e-mail!

May I ask if I can answer your e-mail tomorrow in the morning! I'm finalizing the details with the financial department.

:D

#18 pstarr

pstarr

Skylab

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:25 AM

No problem, I'll be gone from 9 untill about noon.
Paul

#19 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:04 AM

My used 9.25 XLT I've had for about a month. We had a clear night Friday and I snapped this. The 9.25 is on a CGE that was not carefully polar aligned with no autoguiding. It's a two minute exposure with a Canon 300D at ISO 800 with very light processing. Understand, I don't know imaging yet and the scope has to be far more capable than this shows. But it's still pretty fair for a 9.25 production SCT. I did put a FeatherTouch focuser on it though and colimated the beegeebers out of it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 514287-DumbbelJuly8_2Small.JPG

#20 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:54 AM

THanks Paul...

Jerry, that is an outstanding image! Great work! I hope I'll get images like that once day!

#21 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:10 PM

Ya Paul, OUTSTANDING image of the DB nebula!!!!

WOW!

#22 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 15 July 2005 - 01:01 AM

Emanuele,

A 9.25 up at Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...gory=74930&rd=1

#23 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

• topic starter

Posted 15 July 2005 - 08:19 AM

Thanks Piano...

got a C9.25 already.

Very kind of you.

#24 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 15 July 2005 - 01:58 PM

let us know when it gets to ya! Whatcha mounting it too?

#25 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

• topic starter

Posted 15 July 2005 - 02:09 PM

I will Preston...

will be mounted on the G-11 with Gemini...will post pictures, for sure!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics