•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Intes Micro Alter M603: Thumbs up!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Garfield

Garfield

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:47 PM

Hello All!

Just thought I'd drop a quick note and pic of my new Intes Micro M603 to follow up on my post a while back inquiring about a 6" or 7" MAK as a convenient portable planetary scope. After a lot of thought I decided to go with the 6" M603, figuring that it would provide me with the best mix of portablity and performance on the moon and planets that I was looking for. I also decided the ~35% CO of the F/10 should provide sufficient contrast for a 6 incher, noting that the ~30% CO's of the TEC-6 and M615 wasn't that much better.

Initially I placed a want ad on AM which attracted offers of an M703, an M715 and a couple of M500's, but no 6 inchers were offered up. There were a few TEC 6's around but I couldn't see paying more than twice the money over what I got from Mike at ITE, which is a new 1/8th wave M603.

I've only had it for a couple of weeks and so far am using it on a Manfrotto 075B tripod w/501 head until my Lapides modified Teegul that I have on order shows up. I specifically bought the M603 for the moving-mirror focuser so I could use it with my binoviewer, but I got an unexpected bonus! If you look at the pic carefully you can just make out the Denkmeier dual-arm powerswitch below the Baader Mark IV binoviewer that I normally use on my Portaball newt. I didn't expect to be able to use the powerswitch, but hey, it works, so why not?! :grin:

The scope arrived in a hard-padded case with an 8x50(?) finder (which I replaced with an 8x50 right-angle amici) and 2" Intes diagonal with 1-1/4" adapter. A quick star test showed the scope to be well collimated.

I've only had it out under the moon and Jupiter a couple of nights but am very pleased with its performance. Even though Jupiter is receding in the early evening sky, several equatorial bands were obvious and I was able to pick out the GRS, although it was colourless. A two/three-day old waxing Moon was impressive too even though it was quite low in a murky, humid sky. I was very impressed with the tight star images which showed as very small dots, although not quite the pinpoints one would see in a high-end APO refractor.

I've owned a TV-85 and several 100mm refractors including an ED that I used to use for lunar/planetary quick looks but found them all lacking in aperture to deliver the power and brighness needed for satifying "quick-look" viewing with my binoviewer when I don't want to roll my 12.5" Portaball out. (And I get to observe sitting in a chair now, too!)

The cool-down time is a non-issue right now since there isn't any. Of course the fall and winter will be more of a test.

In summary, I'd have to say my early experience with the M603 suggests that I should be happy with this cost effective, compact 6" optical package. In fact, so far I'm impressed enough with the Mak's performance that some day I may pursue a larger Mak for more dedicated lunar/planetary observing.

Attached Thumbnails

• 513807-Intes Alter M603.jpg

#2 CigTech

CigTech

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 July 2005 - 09:14 AM

Very nice set up you got there.

#3 ezrider23

ezrider23

Apollo

Posted 13 July 2005 - 09:56 AM

very nice!!!! I think you made a wise decision going with this scope.

#4 Clive Gibbons

Clive Gibbons

Mostly Harmless

Posted 13 July 2005 - 11:00 AM

Hi Garfield.
Great looking scope you got there!
These days, we're dealing more with "warm up" issues, huh?
;)
Do you know what sort of coatings the mirrors have?

Have fun with your "big Mak"! :grin:

Clive.

#5 Garfield

Garfield

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2005 - 11:50 AM

Thanks Guys! I'll be experimenting with some further mods and mounts and will post updates together with my longer term impressions in due course.

Clive:

The scope is just the current standard version M603 (non-sitall). Its my understanding that all these now come with "ehnanced coatings" or whatever. To be truthful I don't pay too much attention to the coatings; seems to me paying extra bucks for enhanced/dialetric coatings is an expensive way to gain a couple more percent light thoughput. If I really need more light, I'll buy a bigger scope!! :smirk:

#6 Clive Gibbons

Clive Gibbons

Mostly Harmless

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:17 PM

Thanks Guys! I'll be experimenting with some further mods and mounts and will post updates together with my longer term impressions in due course.

Clive:

The scope is just the current standard version M603 (non-sitall). Its my understanding that all these now come with "ehnanced coatings" or whatever. To be truthful I don't pay too much attention to the coatings; seems to me paying extra bucks for enhanced/dialetric coatings is an expensive way to gain a couple more percent light thoughput. If I really need more light, I'll buy a bigger scope!! :smirk:

No problem, Garfield.
If you like what you see thru the scope, that's great.
FWIW, the actual difference might be more than a couple of percent. Taking the worst case (overcoated aluminum) you're at 88% reflectivity. Compared to an enhanced Al coating, which might offer 96% reflectivity, in a two mirror system, the enhanced coatings will deliver 15% more brightness. If your scope has enhanced Al coatings, the improvement going to dielectric wouldn't be as significant.
The extra cost would be more noticeable! ;)

Clear skies,

Clive.

#7 Garfield

Garfield

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:33 PM

Thanks Clive. Of course your points are quite valid. Don't get me wrong, I'll take the enhanced coatings over non any day - as long as I don't have to pay a premium for it!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics