•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Kindle Fire Astronomy apps?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

#51 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:32 AM

There's MS fanboys, Android fanboys, and Linux fanboys.

...and then there's the sane people who aren't fanboys, and get to use the best tool for the job :)

(also, I'm still giggling at the idea of trousers big enough to hold a 7" tablet... seriously, even 5" is stretching it... maybe that's not a problem with elastic? :D)

#52 weezy

weezy

Vanguard

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:14 AM

Some cargo pants will - on the leg.

#53 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:30 AM

It might fit, but it's not going to be pleasant. You still have a large, fairly heavy solid object swinging about and banging into your leg all the time (I've had this even with my iPhone, which is small and light in comparison - it's just not a good place to store it). It needs to be either tightly held in place so it can't swing into your leg, or it has to be somewhere where it won't move around too much - i.e. the top pockets.

#54 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:09 AM

For a point of reference, my buddy fits his old style Kindle in his shirt pocket. It's a pretty big pocket but it fits.

Jon

#55 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:37 AM

A shirt pocket makes a lot more sense, there's less movement and it's less in the way. A 7" tablet is possibly too big though - the kindle is only 6" I think, plus the android tablets all seem to be very tall but narrow (which would make it easier to fit in the pocket, but stick out much further).

#56 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:56 AM

A shirt pocket makes a lot more sense, there's less movement and it's less in the way. A 7" tablet is possibly too big though - the kindle is only 6" I think, plus the android tablets all seem to be very tall but narrow (which would make it easier to fit in the pocket, but stick out much further).

I measured my friends Kindle, its 4 7/8 " x 7 1/2." It fits in some of my larger shirt pockets but it's a tight fit. Both my friend and I wear XLT shirts so the pockets may be larger than smaller sizes.

Jon

#57 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:22 AM

Actually, looking at the specs... the fire is the same size as that. A bit fatter, but almost the same width and height. Confusing when the screen is 1" bigger on the fire, but I forgot that the kindle has a keyboard, so I guess that's the difference. So I guess the fire would possibly fit into those pockets at a push.

#58 Ken Kobayashi

Ken Kobayashi

Ranger 4

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:02 PM

For a point of reference, my buddy fits his old style Kindle in his shirt pocket. It's a pretty big pocket but it fits.

What kind of shirt has a pocket that big? I assume you don't mean a chest pocket.

7" is a nice size though. I bought a 7" tablet (HTC Flyer) to "supplement" my 10" tablet (Galaxy Tab 10.1), and the Flyer has become my primary tablet. It's a lot more comfortable to hold in my hand, and easier to take out from my satchel. It's big enough for almost all purposes: e-mail, video, web, etc. I still use the Tab at home but carry the Flyer with me at all times.

#59 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:08 PM

What kind of shirt has a pocket that big? I assume you don't mean a chest pocket.

Indeed, his older Kindle fits in his chest shirt pocket. It surprised me so I tried it in my shirts, it fit in some, most though it was too tight.

Jon

#60 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:51 AM

I must say, I was sceptical about this 'kindle in a pocket' story, but I totally get it now. It's so obvious when you think about it. Dungarees! The ones with a single, giant pocket right in the middle! You can fit a cat into one of those pockets, and like they say in the Amazon adverts, "If it fits a cat, it fits a kindle™".

#61 Don Trinko

Don Trinko

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:16 AM

I have a 7" Chinese clone. It does run market and it does fit in my pants pocket. However; It is a tight fit and if I put it in the protective neoprene case it is hard to put in and take out. Don T.

#62 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:19 AM

I have a 7" Chinese clone. It does run market and it does fit in my pants pocket. However; It is a tight fit and if I put it in the protective neoprene case it is hard to put in and take out. Don T.

Don;

How are you liking your Chinese Clone? Do you have a link for it?

Jon

#63 Don Trinko

Don Trinko

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:20 AM

most things are fine. the camera is a webcam and not a very good one.
I am able to connect to my wireless network from my basement. Occasionally the web browser locks up. When it does "reboot". I do not think this is the hardware but the software.
It came with market and many other apps, 4 gig of memory.
I paid $87.99.
I have seen nicer tablets with 2 cameras and better cameras but they were considerably more expensive.
I do not have a link but it was an "Odem" and I found it on Ebay. Don T.

#64 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:06 PM

most things are fine. the camera is a webcam and not a very good one.
I am able to connect to my wireless network from my basement. Occasionally the web browser locks up. When it does "reboot". I do not think this is the hardware but the software.
It came with market and many other apps, 4 gig of memory.
I paid $87.99.
I have seen nicer tablets with 2 cameras and better cameras but they were considerably more expensive.
I do not have a link but it was an "Odem" and I found it on Ebay. Don T.

Don:

Thanks for the info... A camera is not important, I have a good one on my cell phone. I will be interested in hearing how it runs Sky Safari.

I am getting the hots for a Tablet. I was in the campus bookstore yesterday and saw a couple of Android Tablets, one was the Samsung Galaxy Tab, about $500, the other was an Asus model at about $400. Oh my my are they nice...

I may just have to shell out some money one of these days.

Jon

#65 Don Trinko

Don Trinko

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:59 PM

For $87.99 I figured I could take a chance. BTW the manual is also near worthless. Don T.

#66 Ken Kobayashi

Ken Kobayashi

Ranger 4

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:41 PM

Does it have a capacitive touchscreen, or resistive? I'm guessing it's a typical TN panel?

Still, $88 is pretty good for an Android tablet that runs Market.

#67 Don Trinko

Don Trinko

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:13 AM

I think it's a TN but I am not sure. Don T.

#68 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:13 AM

Does it have a capacitive touchscreen, or resistive? I'm guessing it's a typical TN panel?

Could someone explain the difference of the screens, and how does one know which screen a product has?

#69 Ken Kobayashi

Ken Kobayashi

Ranger 4

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:30 AM

A resistive touchscreen is the type that was used on the Palm Pilot and many older phones as well as most GPS navigation systems. It reacts to pressure. Some of them are tuned to only react to high pressure, and require a plastic stylus or a fingernail. Some are tuned to react to human fingers, but still require a firm press on the screen, not just a light touch. Resistive touchscreens usually don't have multi-touch capability (i.e. two-finger gestures), but I understand some do.

A capacitive touchscreen is the type used on most modern smartphones. It senses electrical contact with the skin, so it only requires a very light touch. But it does not sense other objects (e.g. a plain plastic stylus - though there are styluses that are specifically designed to be sensed by capacitive screens.)

There's a third type of sensor called "active" or "electromagnetic" - it only reacts to a specially designed stylus, but has very high resolution, and also has pressure sensitivity. Wacom and Ntrig are the two leading manufacturers. Some tablets combine this with a capacitive touchscreen - e.g. the HTC Flyer and Jetstream, and the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet. (Also most high-end Windows tablets have this.)

As for the display type, see here. Basically, TN is the type used on most laptops and computer displays. They have narrower view angle than more advanced types (IPS, PVA and similar). View angle is a more important concern on handheld devices - you want to hold it at any angle you want (e.g. whatever is most comfortable to type on) and still be able to see the screen clearly. If you tilt the display and the color and contrast gets noticeably worse, it's probably a TN screen. If you can lay the tablet flat on the desk/table, sit back in a chair and still read the screen clearly, it's probably IPS or similar.

#70 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:47 AM

Thanks so much, for your great, detailed explanation! :bow:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics