•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

meade sct question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:17 AM

i sure would like to have meades 8" sct fork mount, daul drive. no goto but with the option to install later. cant seem to find a dealer that sells a sct like this. if someone in here knows of a model like this, i would appreciate info on the model # and dealer that sells them also i have a couple more questions please. can these scopes track in the altazimuth position and can you disengage the drive motors in order to slew the scope manually. thanks, don.

#2 davidpitre

davidpitre

Skylab

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:33 AM

can these scopes track in the altazimuth position and can you disengage the drive motors in order to slew the scope manually. thanks, don.

Yes and yes.

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:48 AM

can these scopes track in the altazimuth position and can you disengage the drive motors in order to slew the scope manually. thanks, don.

Yes and yes.

True - but not both together. After moving the scope with the drives disengaged it no longer has sufficient information to track in alt/az.

#4 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:28 PM

an lx50 might fit the first requirement....a motorized scope that adds goto with the Magellan II kit. and the clutches can be released for true powerless manual mode.

#5 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:34 PM

an lx50 might fit the first requirement....a motorized scope that adds goto with the Magellan II kit. and the clutches can be released for true powerless manual mode.

The LX50 uses a tangent arm drive similar to that of the earlier LX series scopes (and the LX10). This means that even with motors and encoders it isn't capable of goto operation; motorized slews are limited to a few degrees in DEC.

#6 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 July 2005 - 03:39 PM

ahh ..your right john, course you knew that..hehe
i believe this sytem ends up being more of a push to.
or tell you where to push to.

but here is what i am refering to

Meade Magellan II telescope digital setting circle system for Meade Model LX50 Schmidt-Cassegrains. Allows rapid location of targets by directing the manual motions of the telescope as well as slew control of the telescope for centering targets in the eyepiece field of view. Replaces LX50 keypad for purposes of motor control.

Four speed Dual-Axis drive control allows four slew speeds: 2X sidereal photo guide speed, 8X for high power centering of targets, 16X for centering at low powers, and 32X maximum slew speed.

The LX50’s current RA and DEC are read from the keypads two line red illuminated 32 character LCD display once alignment is completed. Fast two star alignment with two named stars from the Magellan database. Targets can be found either by accessing them in the Magellan II’s 12,000 object database or by moving the telescope to their known coordinates acquired from a star chart or catalog. Display features variable illumination from bright to dim.

Database includes the complete NGC catalog of 7,840 objects, all 110 Messier objects, 4,093 selected IC objects, the planets of the solar system, and allows for entry of up to 125 user defined objects.

Includes all needed hardware, genuine Hewlett Packard 4096 Pulse encoders, and cords for attachment to the LX50. Unit is powered from the LX50 itself and requires no additional batteries.

Please note: this is not a “GOTO” type system and does not provide for several degree per second slewing from target to target such as is achieved by the Autostar technology. This model is also designed for the LX50 only and Meade does not support or make custom parts for other installations.

#7 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 13 July 2005 - 03:51 PM

ahh ..your right john, course you knew that..hehe
i believe this sytem ends up being more of a push to.
or tell you where to push to.

but here is what i am refering to

Meade Magellan II telescope digital setting circle system for Meade Model LX50 Schmidt-Cassegrains.

Yes, that's a push-to system similar to that used on many dobs these days. Supposedly, it would center an object for you once you manually slewed to the neighborhood - but I've heard that they never got that aspect of it working.

BTW - if anyone has an LX50 without the Magellan II Meade's been putting some of those up in their Outlet Store at a nice price so it might be worth keeping an eye on that.

#8 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:14 PM

Gentlemen-

I upgraded my LX50 a few years ago with the Magellan system. Yes, it's a push-to that works very nicely- along with the RA tracking capabilities of the basic rig on a std. wedge- & the accuracy seems to be limited only by the quality of my initial set-up. No worries of losing your tie to the sky when using "manually"- it IS manual! :lol:

Only thing was, my LX50 was apparantly old enough that it's main circuit board wouldn't "talk" to the Magellan, so Meade ended up shipping me a whole new board; Installation was fairly easy, & was probably far-and-away preferable to shipping the entire scope to Meade :scared: I'm thrilled with it!... goto might be fun, but i'd rather have the extra $1000 for accessories! ;) Of course, if y'all hang around CN very long, that'll be gone soon anyway! :roflmao:
:cool: mike b

#9 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:25 PM

thanks all for the info on this scope.( sounds like the sct im looking for) i have the orion intelliscope that has a computer locator on it and you slew it manually to the target. less things to screw up with simplicity,i know these scopes are great on lunar and planetary but how well are thay on dso. with such a long fl you wouldnt think you could get the magnification down far enough to detect dso. thanks again, don.

#10 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 July 2005 - 09:25 PM

good to hear I actually , and obviously have little other then arm chair knowledge of it..optically it should use the same tube as most of the lx series (new uhtc models excluded)..... it looks to be a great scope, the magellen package. Since you have the orion intelliscope I would think you would have an edge on the learning curve.

#11 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:18 AM

Hi Donnie3-
The SCT is, on occasion, hampered a bit by not enough FOV... with simple modifications (a la "Eye-Opener") my 10" can bag just a wee bit over 1 degree, so it's an issue of nicely framing (or even fitting) larger DSOs... but seeing them is only an aperture issue. If one is looking for 3-degree-wide starfields, then piggyback a small F5-ish refractor onto the SCT! ;) mike b

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics