•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Oberwerk 20x80 Standards

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus, a.k.a. Scanning4Comets

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2005 - 03:46 PM

From what I have been reading, the Oberwork 20x80 standards seem to be the best out there in the 20x80 range of binos.
Ed Z ,(as far as I am concerned), is the GURU of binoculars and his reviews are saying that these have AMAZING edge correction , etc.
Are these Nitrogen purged as well?...I plan on getting these since they seem to be the cream of the crop for 20x80 Binoculars !!! any other comments from users that have tried or own these would be great to hear from !!! Thanks and clear skies.
-----------------
Mark
12" Gso Scope

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 13 July 2005 - 04:13 PM

I don't believe they are N2 purged...as far as their description is concerned. That is not mentioned. Well, I don't know about "cream of the crop" but I'm certain they perform well for the price.

#3 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

Posted 13 July 2005 - 04:17 PM

Hi Mark-
Just upgraded my binocs to the 20x80 Oberwerk LiteWeights ("LW")- they're notably lighter (3.6#s?) than the stds., and i'm finding them marginally hand-holdable for short periods (got the "L" tripod adapter, too :grin:). I've never used the Obie stds., but i'm thrilled with my LWs! Check 'em out ;) mike b

#4 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

Posted 13 July 2005 - 04:19 PM

...Looks like this forum is suffering from double-images. Oh, yeah- it's the binocular forum ;)

#5 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 13 July 2005 - 04:52 PM

Anonymous reviewer had nice things to say about the Steiner Predator 20 x 80 :

http://www.cloudynig...0/o/all/fpart/1

There ARE other 20 x 80 and 20 x 90 binoculars around , but for some reason , a dearth of reviews of them.

One example is the Orion Megaview 20 x 80

Others include Strathspey 20 x 80 and 20 x 90, which , like the Oberwerk , Burgess and probably a few others , are imported from China to importer specifications.

There were also once upon a time 20 x 80s available bearing the names Vixen , Parks , Zenith , Swift , Celestron , Helios , Orion and Opticron , some of which there were at least TWO versions of.

Many , but not all , of these actually LOOKED very similar to each other , but I once looked through a Opticron ( not the ribbed "rubber -coated " version ) which to me seemed optically superioe to a 20 x 80 Orion I once checked.

Then of course there is the Miyauchi 20 x 77 , and the seemingly far superior Kowa Highlander ( at considerably higher price )

A couple of other "contenders" with a higher price tag than the Chinese bins , but with smaller objectives and reportedly "superior" performance would include :

Fujinon 16 x 70 ,Nikon 18 x 70 ,Takahashi 22 x 60 , Zeiss 15 x 60.

It does seem a little strange to me that the bigger Japanese players who rule the roost in 70mm models then seem to skip the 70 -100mm range before diving in BIG time with huge 120 - 150mm beasts.

Yes , it does seem that within a CERTAIN price bracket , the Oberwerk 20 x 80 standard takes some beating -- but that is not to say it is the " cream of the crop " per se.

I can't help thinking that if , for example , a 25 x 85 came along bearing the name Nikon , Fujinon or Takahashi , there would be some "serious reviewing" taking place :-)

Regards , Kenny

#6 Alby

Alby

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:03 PM

Mark;

I believe NW is right about the lack of N2 in the standard 20x80s.
The deluxe II are N2 filled.
A quick e-mail to Kevin at Oberwerk would settle it!
Not to sell any of our fine scope shops short....I did save a good chunk of coin purchasing my BT directly from Oberwerk.
You could get the deluxe cheaper that way, something to consider?

Cheers

Alby

#7 luca

luca

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:25 PM

Not to sell any of our fine scope shops short....I did save a good chunk of coin purchasing my BT directly from Oberwerk.
You could get the deluxe cheaper that way, something to consider?

Now I'm confused. May I ask how did you purchase directly from Oberwerk? On their website they link several 'dealers' (of which only two are in Canada).

#8 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:26 PM

I suggested not long ago in another thread that in the 20x80 size some consideration should be given to the Oberwerk 20x80 IF. That's the binoc NW has.

If you set the two side-by-side the 20x80 IF will look like a better designed package. Braced, center post, waterproofed, and finish. the 20x80 standard looks too long for it's boot's, is not braced, but is much lighter, has no center post, it uses traditional L bracket. It looks like a 15x70 with a 3" extension added to the front of it.

The 20x80 Standard puts up some impressive specs. It has a longer focal length than most, so false color is better. And boy does it have nice coatings and a sharp field of view.

But, I'd like to hear some more comments from NW on his version of the 20x80 IF. I have the 25x100 IF, so I can attest to the build quality. But give us a few comments on the 20x80 IF. (Should read 20x80 Deluxe II)

Both of these binoculars perform better than the LW versions (I have the Burgess LW) which are more like oversized 15x70s and maybe with a less sharp field of view. If your choice is between the 20x80 Standard and the 20x80 LW, get the Standard.

edz

#9 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:30 PM

You can order anything directly off the Oberwerk website.

edz

#10 Alby

Alby

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:39 PM

luca;

Yes you're right about the dealers. I'm also very faithful to one of those stores. For me in this case it was an exception.

Simply put.....I ordered my binocs from Oberwerk online. Yes there were duty fees and the like, but the store charges you those as well and then some:)

Not to venture off topic.....Markus, go for the 20x80 deluxe II. I think in the long run you'd be happier.

Alby

#11 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:10 PM

I can't even find any IF 20 x 80s either on BigBinoculars.com or on Oberwerk.com.

The 20 x 80 deluxe11 which Alby recommends are also the ones Kevin B at BB describes as being " the BEST 20 x 80s" he stocks.

They are however , CENTRE FOCUS.

I'm confused ?

Kenny

#12 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:38 PM

That's the one I mean Kenny.

My mistake. I thought the 20x80 was also IF. It's CF.

It is from the same model line as the 25x100 IF. In fact, it is also the same model line as the Mariner 10x60. They all share the same prism housing. Except the 25x100 doesn't have the focus wheel, it's IF.

I have here in my hands the 25x100 IF and the Mariner 10x60. The eyecups vary between the two but the entire prism/eyepiece housing is identical on the two. And judging from the photos, it is identical to the 20x80 Deluxe II. In fact the 20x80 and the 25x100 look like twins.

edz

#13 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:13 PM

The deluxe II is a great all around bin. It's rugged, looks good, feels good. The coatings pass the "face" test and appears uniformly applied. EdZ, You mentioned the feature on the 20x80 obie std which puzzles me...no center post. It looks like those big 80mm objectives are going to break off at any moment. I'm sure it's fine, but at 80mm is when I would expect to see the center post being used. The triplet design is nice. [I would be curious to see what the views are without it.] The optical performance is great for what they are priced. Triplet should mitigate CA, but some is still present when looking at the brighest objects, Jupiter for instance, which I was doing last night. And moon showed a whisp of yellow around its limb. Not a big deal.

The eyecups twist out, but I never use them extended. I would rather have eyecups that wrap around your eye socket like the 22x100 obies do.

They are, of course, very portable. When combined with a study tripod and fluid head, its hard to beat it. A photo of it is here

#14 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 13 July 2005 - 09:06 PM

There is a big consideration between the mounts that you need for these various 20x80s.

The 20x80 LW could easily mount to a Bogen 3130 on Bogen 3011 legs, about $125-$150. In fact, even a little less tripod, like the Orion Paragon XHD, but that's quite a bit shorter.

The 20x80 Standard could still use the same mounts as above.

The 20x80 Deluxe II would be pushing the above mounts. It's 7#, the 3130 Bogen mount could take it, but with strain.

I think NW uses the same mount for his 7# 20x80 that I use for my 10# 25x100. I have the Bogen 501 head on the shorter 3246 legs, or also the same head on a Manfrotto 028, much taller with the lower third section in the legs. That's probably about $300-$350 worth of tripod/head combo.

Keep that in mind.

edz

#15 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 14 July 2005 - 07:09 AM

I use a Bogen 475 tripod and 501 head. A bit of an overkill, I admit, but I don't have to worry about buying another tripod/head again.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics