•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Burgess Optical Binos

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Moffatt

Mike Moffatt

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:39 PM

Hello, I am new to Cloudy Nights and astronomy. I joined just today after finding some discussion on the Burgess 12x70 binos. I had the opportunity to look through one at the Tulsa Astronomy Club observation site and was very impressed. (I am a beginner and easily impressed). I have a 6" dob I built and after becoming Messier crazy and looking through the Burgess 15x70s had to have some. Anyway, I wanted to buy a pair but had to go out of the country about 6 months ago and came back to find they were discontinued. After searching all over trying to find a supplier with some still in stock I got smart and called Burgess direct. Good news.

They are bringing them back with improvements, said they will be able to ship by the end of August. They will have a different name which has not been decided yet. Will offer them in 70, 80, 90 and 100mm. They have replaced the prism holder with one of Burgess design to make them tougher and hold collimation better. The eye pieces are improved to correct aberation and they will come with a hard case. All that and a decrease in price to $89.00.

They will also be offering 12x60s for an easier manual hold.

Anyway, I can't wait and thought I'd share the news if anyone was looking for some like me and was getting dissapointed.

#2 Mike Moffatt

Mike Moffatt

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:40 PM

Oops, I meant 15x70 binos.

#3 Carpe Noctum

Carpe Noctum

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:54 PM

Welcome to CN, Mike. This is a FANTASTIC community for information, insight and a few laughs for newbies like us.

#4 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 13 July 2005 - 10:11 PM

Hello, I am new to Cloudy Nights and astronomy. I joined just today after finding some discussion on the Burgess 12x70 binos. I had the opportunity to look through one at the Tulsa Astronomy Club observation site and was very impressed. (I am a beginner and easily impressed). I have a 6" dob I built and after becoming Messier crazy and looking through the Burgess 15x70s had to have some. Anyway, I wanted to buy a pair but had to go out of the country about 6 months ago and came back to find they were discontinued. After searching all over trying to find a supplier with some still in stock I got smart and called Burgess direct. Good news.

They are bringing them back with improvements, said they will be able to ship by the end of August. They will have a different name which has not been decided yet. Will offer them in 70, 80, 90 and 100mm. They have replaced the prism holder with one of Burgess design to make them tougher and hold collimation better. The eye pieces are improved to correct aberation and they will come with a hard case. All that and a decrease in price to $89.00.

They will also be offering 12x60s for an easier manual hold.

Anyway, I can't wait and thought I'd share the news if anyone was looking for some like me and was getting dissapointed.

Welcome aboard Mike. Yeah, we had just started talking about the "new" Burgess ED-glass binos. As someone who is addicted to binocular-astronomy and operates from a limited budget, I will watch for these Burgess binos when they finally hit the market. Hopefully the reviews will be good.

MikeG

#5 Mike Moffatt

Mike Moffatt

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2005 - 10:48 PM

What is ED-glass?

#6 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 July 2005 - 07:15 AM

August of which year? 2006? Burgess is known to say many things about the products he wants to market. He recently announced on his Yahoo forum that he would not be making public future product announcements or updates on overdue current products in production. He seems to be willing to make these offerings in private though.

Mike, who did you talk to at BO?

#7 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:34 AM

What is ED-glass?

It's called "extra-low dispersion" glass. Supposedly, it reduces the amount of false color and provides a more "contrasty" image. I guess it would be considered a high-quality glass.

MikeG

#8 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:11 AM

ED glass only reduces false color if it is mated with an appropriate element to counter the varying focal length of different wavelenghts. By itself ED means Extra low Dispersion, and that in itself does not mean the glass will provide less false color. I'm sorry, but I cannot give a technical expanation for Dispersion.

Roland Christen, over on the Astromart forums, recently provided an excellent explanation of this.
http://www.astromart...&news_id=&page=

edz

#9 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 July 2005 - 07:52 PM

I enquired on the Yahoo Burgess Refractor Group about the binos. I received a reply was from the BO webmaster who manages the BO website and answers questions on BO products and their development process. According to the webmaster, BO does have plans for introducing a Series I style bino which are in the design phase and there is no prototype yet. After the prototype arrives for BO approval and after any needed changes, the binos go into production. I don't see how these binos can be ready to ship in that short of time.

My BPD is going off big time on this one.

Mike, I highly recommend an Oberwerk 15x70 based on good reviews by others and my personal experience with other binos from Oberwerk. The Celestron 15x70 is worth looking at if money is an issue.

#10 werewolf6977

werewolf6977

Lord High Smasher

Posted 15 July 2005 - 04:30 AM

YEah, if you're strapped, the SkyMasters are a good deal. Could stand some improvement, but you gets what you pays for... BTW, I like mine.

#11 Mike Moffatt

Mike Moffatt

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2005 - 08:46 AM

The money was not the issue although it is always a consideration. A guy at the Tulsa Astronomy observatory site put a pair in my hands and said take a look. I was impressed by the field of view, the amount of light and the contrast. Grabbed a few dim fuzzies right away. Don't have anything to compare them to and certainly enjoyed looking through them.

As for prototype, ship dates etc. all I can do (and was in fact doing) was reporting what I was told on the phone when I called Burgess. Don't know who I was talking to but he said several times things like; I didn't like the way the old design held collimation, I had to collimate way to many that were new from the factory before shipping, I redesigned the prism holder and etc. I'm assuming I was speaking to Mr. Burgess or whoever passes for that position. He did say the prototype 15x70s had been received and approved.

Siigghhh....who to believe and what to buy, delimas delimas. I almost am afraid of waiting now. The Burgess were an inexpensive way of trying binos before spending a bunch on a pair.

#12 Mike Moffatt

Mike Moffatt

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2005 - 09:05 AM

OK, has anyone out there had the opportunity to compare the Burgess 15x70 with the Oberwerk 15x70? ie. actually looked through both and able to offer a first hand comparison?

mike

#13 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 July 2005 - 09:26 AM

Burgess's webmaster told me no prototypes had been received and that they were still in the early design phase. Bill wouldn't elaborate on your conversation with him or the binos and didn't like me discussing these binos with you, and asking questions about it in his forum.

Some companies will bait you with promises of inexpensive fantasic products that they can't deliver on or have long delays for whatever reasons. I suggest you continue research the wealth of info here and other forums about binos in the size you're looking for before you buy. When you're looking for a product that you will be using for a long time, spending a little more money for a well known quality product doesn't matter in the long run. Very often new products have their problems, so buyer beware. There's also the used market like the CN classifieds and Astromart that have great deals.

#14 Mike Moffatt

Mike Moffatt

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2005 - 09:43 AM

Hmmmm.....sigh some more. I guess I'll go shopping for something else. Got a chance to use my buddies 15x70s last night (forgot to ask the brand). Same class as the Burgess. $100.00 and has a fold in nebula filter. Binos were cool to help confirm my hops on M objects which I'm chasing now for the first time. I've been at this less than a year with a 6" f8 I built. See my icon.

I would like to stay under $200.00 and as close to $100.00 as I can. My 6" is still the primary interest.

Called Burgess a few minutes ago, he is not in until this afternoon. What did you mean by "he didn't appreciate your discussing those binos here"?

#15 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 July 2005 - 09:45 AM

Check the Mini-reviews at the top of the forum.

I was torn between the Obie 15x70 and Stellarvue 15x63 (included case), both good binos. I picked the Stellarvues because they had individual focus instead of center focus. I'm very happy with them. Both companies have excellent product reputations and back their products with excelent and good return policies respectively. Many binos may look the same on the outside, but it's whats on the inside that counts. Distributors pick and choose the level of quality and features from the manufacturers they want to market.

#16 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:18 AM

The webmaster told me one thing, Burgess told you another. I asked a question as to which one was right. He didn't like that and told me to call for info and considered your conversation with him "private". I think you're entitled to get as much info as you can. I used to be a moderator on the Burgess Forum and left after numerous delays (over a year) and excuses concerning a 4" refractor I ordered from BO. BO has a long history of delays in getting their products to market. Some of their products never make it at all and are dropped. I like to see dealers treat their potential customers honestly.

#17 Mike Moffatt

Mike Moffatt

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2005 - 01:37 PM

I actually was a little concerned about that post after making it. Some forums don't approve of what might be an endorsement but then considered what this site is all about. Seems funny that someone would mind what could be considered "good press". I wish if he had wanted it kept private he had said so.

Anyway, enough grumbling about a silly situation, I'll find me some entry level binos somewhere else and if and when those become available and I want to try them I will.

Now, went to dark skies last night and had about 5 hours of heaven. Need to make sure I stay in the "zone of relaxation" I found last night. :-)

#18 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 July 2005 - 08:38 AM

Good to hear you got more time under the stars. Very cloudy here with the hurricane remnants slowly passing thru.

Talking about your experiences with dealer and product is ok here, as long as it doesn't get into bashing. Dealers aren't allowed to reply except to participate as a fellow astronomers. CN requests that problems with a particular dealer be taken up with them and not in these forums. Dealers are allowed to talk about their products in the Vendor forum, but not allowed to talk about competitor's products. I think I have that right.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics