•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CPC 1100 XLT, 12" LX200GPS, or EQ Reflector

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 Norvin

Norvin

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2005 - 01:49 PM

I have had my Hardin Optical DSH-8 for about 2 years now. I am ready to get a better telescope. I want to get into astrophotography. I want a telescope that can track objects perfectly, has GOTO, etc.

I am looking at possibly buying either a new Celestron CPC 1100 XLT for $3000 or a Meade 12" LX200GPS UTHC for $4100. The Celestron looks better to me and has a good price. Perhaps I might even go with an EQ mounted reflector like the Celestron C10-NGT which sells for about $1100.

Might anyone have some advice on what direction to go? I won't be buying until probably September if I do this.

Norvin
Post #597

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:05 PM

Ironically enough, I personally have never been impressed with DSO images I have seen produced on SCT's (so I bought the Meade 10" for visual, and a 5" APO for imaging)...BUT..here is a website of a guy that has some pretty darn impressive images done on a 10" Meade, pretty much stock (except for the Wedge)....so, THAT being the case, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Meade (although I have no idea 'which is better'...i just know you can get the Meade to work really good!)

www.pknoll.net

--------------------

Gary
10" LX200GPS-UHTC
SV-130S

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:07 PM

Hi Norvin,

Check with the guys in the imaging section.

But I am sure they will tell you that a fork mounted scope is not the way to go. I like forks because they are much easier to work with for me.

They will tell you getting a GEM and a widefield smaller refractor is the way to go for imaging for a start.

Personally, I think the CPC 9.25 XLT is a good way to for all around scope - viewing, imaging, big enough for deep space, goto, ease of setup and keeping weight down. A meade 12" is a heavy scope - although I am a big fan of Meade.

Good hunting!

#4 Norvin

Norvin

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:14 PM

Those images look pretty impressive to me.

I am still debating also about just mounting my DSH-8 OTA on this...

http://www.skywatche...EQ6SkyScan.html

Norvin
Post #598

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:35 PM

I don't know anything about that mount...it looks like a CG-E to me. "Imaging" is a really broad description that needs to be more clearly defined in able to make any recommendations. Planetary/nebula/galaxy/wide-field/etc etc? Webcam/SLR cam/SBIG CCD cam? For targets requiring long guided exposures, periodic error, random error, etc...become extremely important, and the MINIMUM recommended mount would be something in the class of the Losmandy G-11 (according to "The New CCD Astronomy"), although this is not to say that lesser mounts won't work, only to suggest they will not work as well OR that more creative 'work-arounds' need to be employed (such as series of shorter exposures). If you look at those pictures on that website, they are not Robert Gendler quality pictures, but they ARE better then what I typically see on DSO's via a fork mounted SCT.

Personally, I got the 5" refractor on G-11 mount as my equipment of choice to foray into imaging, and I am still trying to decide between the STL-11000 or the ST-8 as camera choice, but my intended targets are Messier objects, and my equipment choices are lightyears ahead of me only because I desire to grow into their full potential, as opposed to outgrowing a more limited potential. (plus I miss terribly observing with an APO as well).

Also, for me, I am a real stickler for "sharpness and clarity", and a star exhibiting any "bloatiness" would drive me nuts, which is another reason for my choice of APO for imaging. (but be advised, I bought a $30,000 3-d graphics program just because I could not get the radiosity controls nor the rendering engine controls and speed from the typical hobbyist programs such as Bryce, Vue d'Sprit, etc etc, and this was just for goofing around! LOL)

Gary

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:46 PM

Hmmmmm...another alternative is to KEEP your DOB for visual work, and get a small APO on good EQ mount for imaging. (depending on intended targets)

Gary

#7 Norvin

Norvin

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:50 PM

I want to image nebulae and galaxies mostly. Still researching the camera type I want to use. It is looking like CCD might be the better choice.

As for the telescope, I want to see everything. I don't want one for one thing then another for something else.

Norvin
Post #599

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 14 July 2005 - 10:24 PM

well....an APO (such as FSQ-106) is the DYNAMITE nebula/galaxy scope for IMAGING, but pretty small aperture for observing. My PREVIOUS solution for a 1-scope-to-do-it-all was a 6" APO (which I ordered), but then decided that one scope cannot really do it all, so i changed my order to 5" APO and have the 10" Meade. But, either a Celestron or Meade, with focal reducer and middle of the road micron sized SBIG ccd and some creative techniques, would do you "best you can get of all worlds without spending a yearly wage". You need the aperture for DSO observation (not for imaging). Before you jump, "The New CCD Astromony" is a book you MUST read...it will give you an idea of the complexities, AND, the particular challenges you will encounter with various scope designs. SCT's can work great, just a lot more work to get higher quality nebula/galaxy. The book is not necessarily an "easy" read, and thats because astrophotography is so extememly complex.

Gary

#9 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 15 July 2005 - 01:49 PM

I would go with A CGE mounted 9.25 if your really wanting to do imaging big time. But for a generall all around use scope a CPC 11in would be awesome. I would stay away from the 12in LX200, they are not that portable and becuase of the fork arms and the inability of the OTA to go down between them, they are awkward to set up.

Something to think about, you can buy a classic LX200 10in for not much more then that 10in Celestron newt you mentioned.

#10 Norvin

Norvin

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2005 - 02:07 PM

I have pretty much made up my mind to go with the CPC 1100 XLT. I am not a 'girlie man' and am quite capable of handling 84 lbs of telescope and mount. This will be the one I slowly save my money for.

Norvin
Post #605

#11 Norvin

Norvin

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2005 - 04:21 PM

I might have spoken too soon. I am now thinking this would be the better option for me...

Celestron C10-NGT

Here are a few vendors that have it at a great price...

http://tinyurl.com/9gybn
http://tinyurl.com/8a9hg
http://tinyurl.com/7c9fh

Norvin
Post #606

#12 jfaaz

jfaaz

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 July 2005 - 04:54 PM

You should consider buying EQ6 SkyScan and either the William Optics 80mm Apo, or an Orion 80mm ED.

You can then mount your 8" on the EQ6 SkyScan with the 80mm piggybacked and image out of either scope.

The EQ6 SkyScan is a much more capable mount for imaging than the CG-5.

#13 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 15 July 2005 - 07:59 PM

I might have spoken too soon. I am now thinking this would be the better option for me...

Celestron C10-NGT

Wimp! :roflmao:

#14 Norvin

Norvin

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:04 PM

Yeah it's one pound lighter than the CPC 1100 XLT. Safety first is the rule in my house!

Norvin
Post #607

#15 Norvin

Norvin

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:13 PM

I considered the SkyScan EQ6, but they tell me I have to get it from Orion since I am in the U.S...

---
Thank you for your e-mail. The EQ5 SkyScan can take up to 40lbs so it should be able to handle the weight of your OTA with no problem. The length should be OK as well since it is a Newtonian. If you do find that the length of the tube is interfering with the tripod legs when observing objects near the Zenith, you may purchase the optional extension tube from Orion. It will ad about 8" to the height. For pricing information please contact Orion Telescopes and Binoculars directly. We do not have the information available.

Clear skies!

Customer Service
Sky-Watcher Telescope
For people curious enough to look up and wonder
www.SkywatcherTelescope.net
---

Norvin
Post #608

P.S. - Obviously EQ5 was a typo in the e-mail.

#16 Norvin

Norvin

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:32 PM

They tell me in another e-mail I have somewhere that Orion doesn't have them yet.

Norvin
Post #609

#17 Jefferson1964

Jefferson1964

Viking 1

Posted 17 July 2005 - 04:08 PM

i would Not go with the c10-ngt. Its a great scope for visual use but the mount is not sturdy enough for imaging IMO. I went through what your going through now when i wanted to move up from my DOB. Went to several star parties asked lots of questions, looked through many scopes. I came to the conclusion that an 8" sct is a good all around scope and the best for me for dso, planets, imaging, portability, stability, tracking to name a few. The cpc 1100 is very tempting for the price and their is a good review of the cpc line at optcorp.com. My only concern is weight which decreases portability and the ability to set up alone. I had a 10" sct and although i could set it up myself it was HEAVY and sold it and moved down to an 8"sct. Now i have a home with a garage and could set it up one time and get one of those scope dollys and just roll it out. Anyway good luck on your choice..........

#18 Norvin

Norvin

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 July 2005 - 04:36 PM

Now I am starting to debate getting a 12" Hardin Optical Dob with black OTA and black base. With so many Dob owners, I think it is only a matter of time before an extremely cheap and nice tracking platform becomes available. I still might go with the CPC 1100 XLT though. The C10-NGT is out of the race. I also think the mount is probably weak.

Norvin
Post #624

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics