•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Source for cheap all-sky cam?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
365 replies to this topic

#51 mrramsey

mrramsey

Vostok 1

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:49 PM

Except for the video capture card since these have a coax output...

What card did they send you Wolfman? The card I got is outdated... I will try it on win 7 to see if it works but the last driver that I can find was for XP :foreheadslap:

Just got done painting the inside of the dome area flat black.

#52 BPO

BPO

Messenger

• -----

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

I looked at those at NEAF last year and really liked them. They seemed to have really clear color video.

Yes, they do, I too am impressed by its abilities to deal with all light levels.

I was trying to save my pennies to get one when this opportunity popped up, so hey, who can pass up FREE!

Not me! :)

But even though it's stated on the website that the network is world-wide, they appear to have no ASC's outside North America.

If that ever changes, let the record show that Benmore Peak Observatory in New Zealand is happy to join! :D

#53 BPO

BPO

Messenger

• -----

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

Except for the video capture card since these have a coax output...The card I got is outdated... I will try it on win 7 to see if it works but the last driver that I can find was for XP :foreheadslap:

My Matrox Meteor-II (non multi-channel variant) has coax-out, and driver support ended with WinXP. Is it one of those?

#54 mrramsey

mrramsey

Vostok 1

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

No I got a Hauppauge ImpactVCB 64900 - Hauppauge Website

#55 Roy Salisbury

Roy Salisbury

Viking 1

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:51 PM

I just got an email letting me know they were ready to ship my system. I have a few questions for anyone that has it.

1. Do they have a USB adapter that can be used? Even if they don't provide one, its not bound to a specific driver or anything is it? I can find a BNC to USB adapter that will work for Win7 x64.

2. Might just be a limitation of whatever driver I use, but I would like to also provide the video stream on my own web site as well. Anyone do that already?

3. Anyone know the power requirements of the camera? I'm sure its only a few watts (5-10), but would be nice to know exactly.

Roy

#56 mrramsey

mrramsey

Vostok 1

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:20 AM

I have been programming all morning - debugging etc. The video controller they ship fails under Win 7 and Vista. I also suspect that the Wsentinel program will likely run into issues as well.

I recommend you use WinXP. If you only have a Win 7 machine you could probably set it up and use VirtualBox or VMWare to run XP inside of Win 7. I do this on my development machine. As for adapters in my experience it is hit and miss as to weather they will function or not.

The power consumption is 12v 150mA.

The Setup I am attempting to do is as follows:

• Standalone XP install
  • Remote administration via Remote Desktop - No monitor/ keyboard etc
  • captures are saved to a secondary 250gb internal drive
  • Utility script to run daily and move the captures from 250GB drive to 1TB drive on my linux server daily
  • Since rsync is a Linux application natively I will setup rsync on the server to automatically transmit the event data to NMSU's server
  • Another script will automatically run to purge old data from the server that is more than 2 weeks old

Simple automation tasks that will require little maintenance. I will also right a program to send me text messages for recorded events.

It should be simple enough to also right a post script to put an event on a website. I am sure that the NMSU website does it automatically when the data is received.

#57 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:16 PM

Is there a reason why you have to use there video capture card?

#58 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:28 PM

I assume they have drivers set up for it and it only has BNC connectors. It is the one they send so why not use it?

#59 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:30 PM

I have been programming all morning - debugging etc. The video controller they ship fails under Win 7 and Vista. I also suspect that the Wsentinel program will likely run into issues as well.

I recommend you use WinXP. If you only have a Win 7 machine you could probably set it up and use VirtualBox or VMWare to run XP inside of Win 7. I do this on my development machine. As for adapters in my experience it is hit and miss as to weather they will function or not.

The power consumption is 12v 150mA.

The Setup I am attempting to do is as follows:

• Standalone XP install
  • Remote administration via Remote Desktop - No monitor/ keyboard etc
  • captures are saved to a secondary 250gb internal drive
  • Utility script to run daily and move the captures from 250GB drive to 1TB drive on my linux server daily
  • Since rsync is a Linux application natively I will setup rsync on the server to automatically transmit the event data to NMSU's server
  • Another script will automatically run to purge old data from the server that is more than 2 weeks old

Simple automation tasks that will require little maintenance. I will also right a program to send me text messages for recorded events.

It should be simple enough to also right a post script to put an event on a website. I am sure that the NMSU website does it automatically when the data is received.

Did you get the new WSentinel program from me? It may just be for WinXP.

#60 mrramsey

mrramsey

Vostok 1

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

Is there a reason why you have to use there video capture card?

Not to say that it is required but in my experience when you are creating a custom application to meet a specific need especially in the case of research one typically focuses on building the program to run in a specific environment. I am sure the cameras and boards were chosen for their specs and cost in a mass quantity to fit the need.

Typically in R&D you are not going to go out and spend big dollars for top end equipment. Could you use a different capture card? Possibly but the reality is there would be a lot of debugging to be done by yourself since they clearly have noted the requirement for XP. The question is weather or not you have the ability to debug the issues or want to even spend the time doing so.

In my case I tested on win 7 first since I had a machine with that os installed. The drivers would not load at all for the capture card. I did not want to forgo the expense to try a different card since it is not clearly stated that that OS will even work with the rest of the software. I chose to reload winXP sp3 onto that machine an use it to their specification... Less Headaches :tonofbricks:

#61 mrramsey

mrramsey

Vostok 1

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:48 AM

I downloaded the latest from the NMSU site...WSentinel 1.1.15 dated November 11,2011.

I do get a message on opening "Creating video mixing renderer 9 failed"

I know that is part of the directx9 environment.... what version are you running?

#62 Roy Salisbury

Roy Salisbury

Viking 1

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:39 PM

Well, I guess I will be doing a lot of testing to get it working. The computer I planned on using does not even have slots for internal cards (its a Mac Mini). Running XP is not an issue if I have too (I already use Parallels for my Win7 x64 instance). I've sent email asking about the specs of the system and other than one email I got thee other day that it was "ready to ship", I have heard nothing about the requirements or software.

Roy

#63 mrramsey

mrramsey

Vostok 1

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

Well, I guess I will be doing a lot of testing to get it working. The computer I planned on using does not even have slots for internal cards (its a Mac Mini). Running XP is not an issue if I have too (I already use Parallels for my Win7 x64 instance). I've sent email asking about the specs of the system and other than one email I got thee other day that it was "ready to ship", I have heard nothing about the requirements or software.

Roy

hmmm... that could be problematic :confused:

I honestly don't think you will get that configuration to work for a multitude of reasons. You might be able to get the camera to function but I have not seen many analog to digital usb adapters that work real well. That itself brings another wrench into the mix... even in a windows system. Now couple that with the fact that you are running Windows7 in a Mac environment with software designed for Win XP and have them all play nice with one another.:smashpc: Let us know how it goes... I do have a couple of Mac programmers on staff here that I can bounce questions off of.

#64 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

Roy

I thought we had pretty much covered the system requirements here. You have to have a computer dedicated to the camera system with >500GB hard drive.

#65 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

I downloaded the latest from the NMSU site...WSentinel 1.1.15 dated November 11,2011.

I know that is part of the directx9 environment.... what version are you running?

I never got the software from the website to work. Joe Chavez sent me a different version and it worked find.

#66 Roy Salisbury

Roy Salisbury

Viking 1

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:41 PM

I'll try a few BNC to USB adapters that I have. If not, I'll look for others. Getting XP running under a virtual instance is a snap. And my Mac Mini has plenty of memory and CPU for it.

Roy

#67 Roy Salisbury

Roy Salisbury

Viking 1

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

I thought we had pretty much covered the system requirements here. You have to have a computer dedicated to the camera system with >500GB hard drive.

A dedicated computer with >500GB matches exactly what I have. But here is what your "requirements" miss:

* Must have a PCI slot for a capture device capable of connecting the camera via a BNC connector.
* Must run windows XP.

Roy

#68 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

A dedicated computer with >500GB matches exactly what I have. But here is what your "requirements" miss:

* Must have a PCI slot for a capture device capable of connecting the camera via a BNC connector.
* Must run windows XP.

Roy

Thanks for pointing that out, I missed it. But one correction, you CAN run Win7, you just have to have a different video card.

I am not sure and I am skeptical it will work with out having the card. BECAUSE, the card had 4 ports on it and it HAD to be connected to the one closest to the motherboard.

#69 mrramsey

mrramsey

Vostok 1

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

From the word doc sent to me by Richard Spaulding at Sandia.

"PC Requirements
The PC used to run the WSentinel must meet the minimum requirements:

1 GHz Processor
1 GB Ram
750 GB Disk
CDROM drive
1 Spare PCI slot available

The software currently runs only on Windows machines. XP is the preferred version to run with the software. "

#70 mrramsey

mrramsey

Vostok 1

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

Stuart -- if you click the 'Help' button in WSentinel then click 'About" it will tell you what version you have.

#71 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:08 PM

Stuart -- if you click the 'Help' button in WSentinel then click 'About" it will tell you what version you have.

They must have updated the website, mine is 1.1.15 too. He emailed me that one directly.

#72 Roy Salisbury

Roy Salisbury

Viking 1

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

From the word doc sent to me by Richard Spaulding at Sandia.

"PC Requirements
The PC used to run the WSentinel must meet the minimum requirements:

1 GHz Processor
1 GB Ram
750 GB Disk
CDROM drive
1 Spare PCI slot available

The software currently runs only on Windows machines. XP is the preferred version to run with the software. "

I never got anything like that when I inquired about the camera. So if it ever shows up I'll try my best to get it to work, but may just have to send it back and go for one of the commercial options.

Roy

#73 njrusty

njrusty

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:12 PM

Great job on mounting. Could you please share your mounting parameters you used? I'd like to duplicate how you installed your system; 90 degree PVC pipe...etc.

I just received my camera system today, but with no instructions, documentation...etc. But, looking forward to installing the system this weekend.

Russ

#74 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:07 PM

[quote name="mrramsey"][quote]
[/quote]

I get this same error running on xp sp3 x32 running wsentinal 1.1.19 Any idea on how to fix this? I don't see anywhere in the program where to change the inputs for the coax either... AM i to guess which one I plug it into?

#75 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:01 PM

Nevermind. I got it..

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics