•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Two binoculars bump into the north american...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 davidmcharg

davidmcharg

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 July 2005 - 07:26 AM

Hi from Scotland. Last night was a little colder than recently. A little single malt and out under the night skies.

Well last night i wondered out for some observing here in Scotland and decided only to take the binoculars out with me. I headed out around 12.30/1am and i took two pairs of binoculars.
1. Nikon Superior E 10x42
2. Zeiss 8x30 B/GA.
After dark adaption for some 20 minutes it was immediately clear that the skies were very very good. I took in my usual Messiers and also just enjoyed panning the skies.
Cygnus was truely stunning....cricky i spent so much time just panning around. My biggest surprise was bumping into the north american. At first i thought na....can't be. confirmed it with both binoculars. Last night goes down as the clearest sky i have seen this year. I was tempted to bring out the TV85 but had to head in due to an early rise required this morning. I checked an old sketch made with the TV85 and 35 Pan and sure enough it was the north american....was beginning to think that single malt had knackered my eyes :)

The neighbours cat wandered in the back garden and there is me sprawled out on the ground...and the cats thinking...this guys is nuts..!

I have been experimenting with these two little binoculars for quite some time and i have to say they are simply great. Its very interesting to have other binoculars to compare against and each time i switch between them i am quite surprised at the difference in the views.

Yesterday i went for a walk out over some local fields and i disturbed a fairly large pack of rabbits. A few minutes later a little fox comes out the wood and decides its time for dinner....rabbit. I just happened to be about 50 yards away and caught it all thru the binoculars. Nature.

I have reverse aperture fever....from big dobs back to medium sized dobs down to small refactors and finally good old binoculars.

Cheers
David.

#2 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 16 July 2005 - 09:54 AM

That is impressive. I can usually see the "Gulf of Mexico and Florida coastline" but have trouble seeing the actual nebula in my Mag 4-5 skies.
"Reverse aperture fever" is not discussed much here; but I think as we get older, more experienced, maybe more mature, it starts to set in. I guess it is just part of the bell curve for amateur astronomy.

Ed Jones

#3 holger_merlitz

holger_merlitz

Mariner 2

Posted 16 July 2005 - 09:58 AM

Hi David,

Interesting experience! Small but quality binoculars can go a long way; I think they are frequently underestimated. These days I am almost exclusively using my 8x30 Nikon EII and it does a great job in all kinds of situations, including the night sky. Surely, bigger guys may show something more, but then you will need a tripod to make full use of that advantage. A small binocular is always at hand. But quality is of some importance here. First, it should be mechanically robust enough to survive being carried around all that time without any de-collimation. Second, a high-end coating and stray light protection can, to some extent, compensate for its smaller size, creating a bright image of high contrast. Last not least: Quality binoculars are built of best materials available, allowing them to be rugged but of moderate weight at the same time.

Have fun,
Holger

#4 davidmcharg

davidmcharg

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 July 2005 - 10:29 AM

Agreed on small binoculars. I have to say i would spend the
money all over again on the same binocs. As said for me binocular observing is all about handholding...if i am going to mount something then i am thinking out comes the scope. I read a post not so long ago about why spend serious money on decent small binoculars....well because
bottom line you will most likely use them more than anything else.

#5 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 16 July 2005 - 11:13 AM

Night after night, with superb dark mountain skies, I have searched for the North America with a 40X100 binocular and a 200mm SCT (using a nebula filter). If I have seen it (and I have memorized the star chart), I certainly haven't been keenly aware of it. So along comes a Scot with instruments in the opera glass size range (just kidding!) and nails it. Is it the haggis? Is this why the sun will never set on the British empire? Does caber tossing increase visual acuity? I mean, hoot mon! :bow:

#6 davidmcharg

davidmcharg

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 July 2005 - 11:35 AM

Hey Joed i confess its the haggis.....get two nice bottles of whisky....finish them off and then use the base of the two bottles for some nice objectives for a pair of binoculars....i guarantee you will see stranger things than the north american.

Clear skies.

Cheers
David.

#7 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

Posted 16 July 2005 - 09:25 PM

Very inspiring indeed! Awesome job bagging NGC7000. Or, awesome whiskey... Either way, thumbs up! :grin:
It's funny how a good majority of young, brash amateur astroblokes dream of their next "big scope" purchase. Of course, I have been no exception, "window shopping" the web for the best prices on 8" dobs (a remakable step up from my current 4.5"). But as time goes by, I realize that a good pair of binos will enable me to see 'nearby' objects that often get forgotten about. And at a size no one can argue with, they will unquestionably see the night more often than most scopes could dream.

BTW, don't fret about the cat. They judge anything that breathes.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics