•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dark adaption and using binoculars.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 davidmcharg

davidmcharg

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 July 2005 - 10:35 AM

Over the last 2 years of observing with 2 pairs of binoculars (Nikon 10x42, Zeiss 8x30) i have consistently noticed that when i first head out and i am still dark adapting i find it much easier to use the 8x30's than the 10x42 and i cannot exactly put my hands on what it is.
Specifically i find it easier to take in the full field of view of the 8x30's and then after a few minutes the nikons are perfect but it always takes a few minutes.

Any reason why this would be ? Just curious.

Thanks
David.

#2 HfxObserver

HfxObserver

Apollo

• ****-

Posted 16 July 2005 - 11:14 AM

Exit puil of the 8X30's = 3.75 the 10X42's = 4.2
When you first head out you are still dark adapting so have smaller exits pupil as your eye adapts the pupils get larger.

-Chris

#3 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

Posted 16 July 2005 - 05:23 PM

Your eye's pupil opens up in a matter of seconds, so that can not be the difference. The production of visual purple that greatly increases the retina's sensitivity is what takes some time.

Clear skies, Alan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics