•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Boller & Chivens

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#76 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:00 PM

A long time ago it was a dream of mine to buy property on a high desert in Arizona and

buy one of these surplus professional telescopes.

I had it all worked out.

Roll-a-way dog house for the scope, single wide for me. Package heatpump for the dog

house to keep the scope at evening temperatures during the day.

The drive in was to be paved to keep the dust down.

My mom flipped my wife screamed, I woke up.

But that dream is still alive.

Robert

Edited by clamchip, 14 February 2020 - 06:02 PM.

• jcruse64 and Steve Allison like this

#77 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:05 PM

I’m still dreaming. Only our road isn’t paved. 

#78 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:04 PM

Besides the 36" at Kitt Peak, I believe the 24" at Pine Mountain, in Oregon, is still operational.

Nearer to me, I once visited a 16" installation that Smith College had in Whately, MA. Unfortunately, after many years of use for research and classes, it had been reconfigured for IR work for a research grant (re-coated with gold) and was then effectively abandoned when the grant ended. When we went to see it, it had become a home for wasps. I recall hearing that they eventually sold it and got a Meade 16" SCT to mount on top of their new science building. 

Chip W. 

#79 rutherfordt

rutherfordt

Viking 1

• Loc: Northeast Tennessee USA

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:40 PM

The other 36-inch B&C telescope at Kitt Peak is SARA (Southeastern Association for Research in Astronomy) and it is still operational.  SARA also operates a 24-inch B&C at Cerro Tololo (I used it remotely a couple of nights ago).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics