•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Apogee 25 x 100

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2004 - 01:11 AM

Have just received my Apogee 25 x 100 binoculars.
It's mainly very bad news:
I'm not sure how bad, but I'm seeing double, ie TWO images, separated by quite a lot.
I'll be in touch with the supplier tomorrow, but meantime has anyone any suggestions, though obviously I'm not going to start messing around with them.

But there is a little good news:
Although they are pretty heavy, I was able to mount them in Heath Robinson fashion on the tripod of my ETX90.
Looking through the binoculars with one eye shut (I do realise this is not the way to use them!) earlier tonight I could easily & clearly see Saturn as a small disc, as well as its ring (Cassini division not visible!) & also one of its moons, Titan.
Later I could see Jupiter, with a couple of 'lines' ie markings & its 4 Galilean moons, as well as getting excellent views of our Moon.

IF the collimation problem (assuming that's what it is) can be resolved I will be delighted with the binoculars - I think they are fantastic value for money. But I'll need to find a sturdy inexpensive tripod too.

Any advice/comment appreciated.

#2 edcannon

edcannon

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2004 - 08:55 PM

Did you find EdZ's article about collimation?

http://www.cloudynig...-collimatin.htm

There are other articles online, one at Oberwerk for sure.

Good luck!

Ed Cannon - ecannon@mail.utexas.edu - Austin, Texas, USA

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:56 PM

i'm sure you can send them back for another pair. anyway collimation is done by screwing the eyepiece all the way out and removing the back plate and lift the plate up and out of the way, there are 3 collimating screws push pull type. top left center and bottom. there are 6 screws really but are used to loosen and tighten regards john cota

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics