•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

modified altazimuth 3 for my 90 mak

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2005 - 02:16 PM

got my mount the other day from orion, vary nice. using others suggestion on correcting the altitude problem, i designed a counter weight and a handle for it as shown in the photo. the counter weight is held on the mounting plate by one bolt so when loosen it can be moved foreward or back for balance. after adjusting the center altitude bolt it really works super! i have my little orion mak mount on it, a great preformer for its size.thanks, don.

Attached Thumbnails

• 526019-526019-DSCN0184.jpg

#2 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

Posted 21 July 2005 - 03:42 PM

Hi Donnie,

That looks great, congratulation! You're going to have a blast with it.

Would you take a moment though and please reduce the size of the image, it's way too big for the frame and blows everything away. Thanks. Contact one of the forum moderators if you need advice on how to do that.

#3 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 July 2005 - 03:51 PM

Even on my 1280x1024 screen I can't see the whole photo. :bigshock:

#4 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2005 - 06:10 PM

tim" this is the first or second photo ive posted on this forum (really a super forum)once i clicked on to my post i reallized it was way too large. i would really like to know how to reduce the size. were do i fine a moderator on the forum that could help me on this subject. thanks,don.

#5 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:06 PM

Hi Don,

Don't worry, it's no big deal. Everyone has that trouble at first! Welcome to Cloudy Nights, and we all hope you'll stay with us and share what you learn!!

You can contact the moderators of any forum by clicking their names on the index page on level back, or by clicking the 'Notify Moderator' button at the bottom of every post, or just by saying "Help! I need a moderator!" in any post you make, since the moderators read all the posts, and will come to the rescue!

Again, welcome to Cloudy Nights, and you'll get all the assistance you need very soon!

#6 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:41 PM

Nice mod Donnie. :cool: The next step in improving that AZ-3 mount(although not necessary) is to replace those aluminum legs with solid wooden ones, which help alot with high powered viewing. Hands On Optics usually sells them once in while on E-Bay for $59+shipping(what I paid for mine.)

As far as reducing the size those of online photos, I found a free downloadable program called Irfanview that can be found Here ;)

#7 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

Posted 21 July 2005 - 08:30 PM

BTW Don, if the photo size issue is behind us, I'd like to ask about those AZ-3 modifications.

What lead you to need the counterweight mod with a 90mm Orion anyway? Are you having trouble with the altitude bearing? I use that mount with an f/10 refractor about a meter long without a counterweight, but do you have beter performance with a short tube and the CW?

PS - Thanks John.

PPS - That's a sweet lunar set-up. I hope you'll visit us in the lunar forum if you get interested in the moon!

#8 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2005 - 08:58 PM

tim, the last part of your question probably answers it. the tube is so short that loosening the adjusting nut will cause the scope to fall when close to 90 degrees and when i tighten the nut it becomes too tight and hard to slew. i would imagine with a long tube you could adjust the altitude nut just right for ease in slewing. with the adjusting nut semi loose and adjusting the counter weight make for a real smooth motion. it dont look really pretty but it works, thats all that matters. don.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics