•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LunarMap for Android

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
74 replies to this topic

#26 arpruss

arpruss

Vendor: Omega Centauri Software

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:28 AM

I just uploaded 1.03 to the Market, with pinch zoom.

Panning will be a bit faster, however, if you stick to the zoom buttons and don't use the pinch zoom. Still, it might be worth the small decrease in speed. (The reason is that the pinch zoom gives resolutions inbetween the prerendered tiles, and the zooming takes time.)

If you don't like multitouch, you can turn it off.

I also increased the tile cache size which should improve performance on many devices.

#27 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:53 AM

Thanks, Alex. I like pinch zoom rather than dealing with zoom buttons. My tablet is pretty fast, so I probably won't see much of a difference in speed.

Mike

#28 JoseBorrero

JoseBorrero

Soyuz

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:54 PM

Love it, Thanks

#29 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

The HD and Lite versions should both be on Amazon now. I understand they're enabled for the Kindle, too.

#30 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:38 AM

I'd like to add satellite feature markers to the HD version. Suggestions on the UI would be welcome. It will look terrible if one marks all the satellite features at once. Maybe just one feature at a time?

Here is something I was thinking about. Currently if you tap on a feature, you get a little info window with the dimensions of the feature and a link to The-Moon Wiki. Maybe instead of a window, I could pop up a little semitransparent info rectangle at the bottom of the screen, and when that rectangle is popped up, the satellite features could be shown?

#31 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:18 PM

Alex,

Maybe instead of a window, I could pop up a little semitransparent info rectangle at the bottom of the screen, and when that rectangle is popped up, the satellite features could be shown?

Yes, that would be better. And/or you could have the satellite features show when the user zooms down to an appropriate image scale, deep enough so that the satellite labels would not clutter the screen.

Mike

#32 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

In 1.05 HD, I added a realtime (only--sorry, no settings yet for a different date) terminator line. It's just a simple line, not a shadow or anything pretty like that, but I found it makes it way easier to find things at the eyepiece.

#33 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

Excellent! If you could eventually have a realtime terminator - something like VMA or LTVT - that would be even more excellent. For me, that would be worthy of a moderate increase in the purchase price. :poke:

:grin:
Mike

#34 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

I just posted LunarMap HD and Lite 1.11 in the Android Market (or Google Play, as it is now awfully renamed).

- Adds satellite features (e.g., Plato B) [HD only]
- Adds astronaut-named features
- Improves memory handling
- Fixes bug with selection of feature types
- Adds a little more info about feature types

With this reversion, the HD version contains all official 9099 IAU named features.

I will upload to the Amazon Appstore on Monday if all is well.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5115333-LunarMapSatelliteFeatures800.jpg

#35 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

Alex,

I'm not seeing labels for the satellite features on Lunar Map HD. When I started up the program after going to Google Play, a screen appeared on Lunar Map HD which showed a list of updates. So I assume my copy was updated. I even shut down my Asus Transformer Android, restarted it, ran the program again. No change.

Yes, I dislike Google Play. No, so far I hate it. Android Market would let me know which of my programs have updates and would offer to update them. I don't see that function anywhere on Google Play. Google Play is a step backwards.

Mike

#36 jimarshall

jimarshall

Ranger 4

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

Alexander,
I recently tried your LunarMapLite-103.apk and get an unexpected stop error on my cheap panimage android 1.6 tablet while your openstarmap 100-4 seems to work fine. This is puzzling since I thought that the openstarmap was for a much higher OS than android 1.6. This tablet is so cheap that I couldn't even download from the market that came with it! :lol:

#37 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

What happens if you go to search, and type in "Plato", and click on Plato B? You may need to zoom in to see better, too.

#38 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

I recently tried your LunarMapLite-103.apk and get an unexpected stop error on my cheap panimage android 1.6 tablet while your openstarmap 100-4 seems to work fine. This is puzzling since I thought that the openstarmap was for a much higher OS than android 1.6. This tablet is so cheap that I couldn't even download from the market that came with it! :lol:

LunarMap uses a lot of memory to smooth the scrolling. I wonder if that was the issue? You might want to try 1.11, which improves memory handling a little.

#39 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

What happens if you go to search, and type in "Plato", and click on Plato B? You may need to zoom in to see better, too.

When I type in Plato under Search, the program centers on Plato. But there is no Plato B to click on. It's just not labeled on the map. I can zoom in all the way and Plato B still does not appear.

I set detail size to the absolute minimum and get the same results.

Mike

#40 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

I don't see any lettered crater names under LunarMap HD.

Mike

#41 jimarshall

jimarshall

Ranger 4

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

LunarMap uses a lot of memory to smooth the scrolling. I wonder if that was the issue? You might want to try 1.11, which improves memory handling a little.

Are you going to make an .apk file available for the 1.11 version? My tablet is not a supported device on the google market.

#42 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

When you go to the options, is "Satellite features" checked? And does it say under it "Only in HD version"?

#43 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

Are you going to make an .apk file available for the 1.11 version? My tablet is not a supported device on the google market.

You can get the lite version from http://pruss.mobi/dl/LunarMapLite.apk

You should eventually be able to buy the HD version from Amazon's Appstore, but first I want to see what Sarkikos' issue is caused by.

#44 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

In Memoriam - R.I.P. (1943-2016)

• In Memoriam

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

well I just blew $1.98 to save time I just purchased it for my phone and then purchased it again from Amazon for my fire instead of side loading the darn thing...

WORTH every one of those 198 pennies to me..

I sure Hope you made a nickle off my purchase(s)...

Clear Skies and THANKS

Bob G

#45 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

When you go to the options, is "Satellite features" checked? And does it say under it "Only in HD version"?

"Satellite features" is not listed under options. So I do not have the latest version? How do I update apps with Google Play?

Moving from Android Market to Google Play is a bad thing for Android users and software writers.

CHANGE IS NOT ALWAYS PROGRESS!

Mike

#46 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

"Satellite features" is not listed under options. So I do not have the latest version? How do I update apps with Google Play?

You run Android Market just as before on your device, go to My Apps, and there should be an update option.

#47 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

Alex,

I just now updated LunarMaps HD. On Google Play, I had to manually go through my list of installed apps, which is over 100. Luckily, it's in alphabetical order. But the info for LunarMaps HD only shows that I purchased it, not that an update is available. I had to take a chance and press on "Purchased" to update the app. Not intuitively obvious at all! This is not good for consumers, writers or vendors.

Nowhere on Google Play is there any information saying that any apps have an update available. When I would run Android Market, the first thing I saw were notices for updates.

But at least I see the satellite objects on LM HD now.

Mike

#48 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

Android Market has disappeared from my tablet. Google Play, Google +, Google Whatchmacallit, Google Gizmo, Google ... are there instead.

I think Google is the New Apple. I don't like it.

Mike

#49 jimarshall

jimarshall

Ranger 4

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

You can get the lite version from http://pruss.mobi/dl/LunarMapLite.apk

You should eventually be able to buy the HD version from Amazon's Appstore, but first I want to see what Sarkikos' issue is caused by.

I downloaded the 1.11 .apk file. It installed OK but will not run, I still get the unexpected stop error. I guess my panimage tablet just doesn't have the technical specifications to run all android 1.6 apps. Thanks for the help.

#50 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

I downloaded the 1.11 .apk file. It installed OK but will not run, I still get the unexpected stop error. I guess my panimage tablet just doesn't have the technical specifications to run all android 1.6 apps. Thanks for the help.

Can you install the Android Log Collector, run LunarMap, and then email me (arpruss@gmail.com) a log from the log collector right after LunarMap crashes?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics