•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help!!! I Loosened The Wrong Screws On My C11 OTA

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Saturn

Steve Saturn

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 July 2005 - 11:57 PM

Help!!!

I was trying to mount a DC11 dovetail plate to the top of my C11 OTA and I loosened two screws at the rear of my optical tube that I can't get to tighten back up now (see photo). I'm pretty sure I was loosening the wrong screws (I believe I was supposed to use the screws closer to the rear of the tube). Can anyone tell me what these screws hold and how I might get them to thread back in? I would be forever greatful!

:foreheadslap:

Attached Thumbnails

• 528376-C11-Screws.jpg

#2 Digital Don

Digital Don

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:20 PM

Steve,

I believe those screws secure the rear cell to the tube.

If so, there should be a nut attached inside. You should be able to see the screw/nut by looking inside the tube.

Assuming the nut is still attached (hopefully!) try pulling up on the screw while slowly tightening it. This should cause the nut to 'lock' against the inside of the tube and allow you to retighten the screw. Use a gentle touch while turning so the nut doesn't spin.

If the nut has fallen off, your only solution is to remove the corrector plate and physically re-thread the nut back on the screw. Not the worst thing in the world, but more complicated than the above. So, lets hope that won't be necessary.

In the old Celestron manuals, they used to warn owners not to remove any screw that did not have another matching screw within two inches. I guess that still applies.

Good luck!

Don :usa:

#3 Steve Saturn

Steve Saturn

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 July 2005 - 04:57 PM

Thanks a million for your help Don. I'm going to check and see how big a problem I have. I'll let you know. Thanks again!

Steve

#4 Steve Saturn

Steve Saturn

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 July 2005 - 05:23 PM

I can't thank you enough Digital Don! Sure enough, they were holding the rear cell. Fortunately I could see that the nuts were still attached. I wedged a thin screwdriver blade under the head of each screw and this provided enough tension on each nut that I was able to tighten the screws back down. Whew.....!!!!!!!!! Thanks a million, I was sweating bullets.

:bow:

Steve

#5 Digital Don

Digital Don

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 23 July 2005 - 10:43 PM

Steve,

That's what friends and forums like this are for! :waytogo:

I also have a C11 but mine is the orange tube version on a fork mount from the 80's (The Stray Cat)

Good luck with your scope!

Don:usa:

#6 garyc11

garyc11

Gemini

Posted 23 July 2005 - 10:48 PM

just to be sure the 2 screws behind the ones he took out are the place where you mount the piggyback camera mount.

#7 Steve Saturn

Steve Saturn

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 24 July 2005 - 01:10 AM

Thanks again all. That was a lesson I won't soon forget.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics