•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Off Axis Guider (Atik) Question(s)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Wiles

Mike Wiles

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:15 PM

Hello all,

After months of threatening to do it, I believe I'm going to dabble in some prime focus imaging and I'm looking at ordering up one of the Atik off-axis guiders to assist in the guiding chores. The image train I'm looking at right now is this:

C11 Edge HD --> T-Adapter --> Off Axis Guider --> QHY8PRO camera

I'm considering downsizing to a more manageable focal length as well and my image train could quickly look like this:

AT8RC --> Field Flattener --> Off Axis Guider --> QHY8PRO camera

Either way, if I understand correctly - I have a small problem to overcome. The off axis guider has female M-54 threading on both sides....so I'll need:
an M-42 female to M-54 male adapter to fit between (and connect) the flattener & OAG
and a M-54 male to M42 male adapter to fit between (and connect) the OAG to my QHY8PRO.

So now my questions:

1 - Am I correct in my understanding of what I need above?

2 - Anyone have a source for these adapters? There's a bewildering assortment out there and a definite lack of knowledge on my part has me shy to take the plunge.

I've spent a good amount of time looking at some of the results that are out there. BuckeyeStargazer has done some really cool stuff with a setup almost exactly what I'm considering. Anyway, thanks for any help or advice you can offer.

I'm not even married to the Atik OAG...but it's been reviewed favorably, seems reasonably priced and the t-thread for the guide camera will fit my current guider (QHY5).

Mike

#2 Vladimir Elvov

Vladimir Elvov

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:58 PM

Hi Mike,

Did you have enough of Hyperstar?

#3 Mike Wiles

Mike Wiles

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:34 PM

Did you have enough of Hyperstar?

Not quite yet. I'm beginning a transition out of such wide field imaging though. Hyperstar is tough to beat for wide field imaging in a very short amount of time. My motivation though has always been to get to some longer focal lengths and shoot "eyepiece sized objects" and I feel like I'm approaching the point where I'm ready to start moving in that direction.

#4 antimorris

antimorris

Vendor (Enterprise Astronomy)

• Vendors

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:50 PM

Mike - you should be able to find them fairly easily. I have a few links to places but they are all over here in Europe (UK or Germany) but if you do a google search you should be able to find a source there in the US as well. If not, I can post the links I have where I got the adapters here.

I really like the Atik OAG - I got it a few months ago and have been very pleased.

#5 Vladimir Elvov

Vladimir Elvov

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:18 PM

Mike,

What objects do you mean - M27?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics