•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mounting Small Cats

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 abe

abe

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2005 - 08:21 PM

Hi. I'm thinking of picking up a small 5" Intes Maksutov. Does anyone have any mount recommendations?

I'm leaning towards an alt-azimuth fork mount for light weight and simplicity of operation. I'm thinking of trying the Vixen / Televue Porta mount mainly because of its light weight and the presence of slow motion controls. The Televue Pano mount also looks pretty nice but is lacking the slow motion controls.

My main goal is to have something light, portable, and easy to set up (I have an 8" SCT, but it can be a bit much to haul outside).

I'd appreciate any feedback on the topic.

-abe.

#2 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 24 July 2005 - 10:11 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights!

I owned a 5" Mak (Orion) and the included EQ-3 was a perfect match for that OTA. Made a nice grab and go package.

#3 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:38 PM

I assume visual only...the eq 3's a good choice and are still pretty smalland a little easier to keep on track.

but i have a homemade az mount that is pretty handy too, that mounts on to a bogen style tripod..pretty simple

but in reality the tripod is the part that eats up the most room. so there is not, all that much of a difference between the two..Once you get to the eq5's the bulk starts catching up again...not sure on orions ro mount size, but it might be worth a look.

#4 John_Gillies

John_Gillies

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:15 AM

As far as "grab& go" goes, the equatorial mounts are what makes it difficult. A good Bogen/Monfrotto Tripod folds up quickly and and takes up a lot less space for travelling. I use an Orion 5" Mak Cas on a Bogon 501 video head and Bogen tripod. It all sets up in seconds and holds the heavy little Mak and Denk binoviewer like a champ. No slow motion controls on this head but the Alt/Az has dampening controls that make it easy to move the scope on the tripod head smoothly.

#5 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:59 AM

Mounting Small Cats?

Well, some like the 'head and paws' approach, you know, coming out of the frame. But if it's a small cat, you might want to consider mounting the entire body, like one would a prize fish!

#6 abe

abe

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:43 AM

Excellent! I thought about the head and paws approach, but I think I'll need to mount the whole cat for it to be effective.

You'd think that with the explosion in the cat population recently, especially of the russian and siamese variety, that there'd be more options available for cat mounting.

Using GEMs to mount small cats seems a bit extravagent to me. Although it sounds a bit brutal, it seems like it makes more sense to mount small cats on a fork (I hope the ASPCA isn't reading this).

Incidentally, my wife has 16 cats (one of which are mounted). Next to that, it's arguable that having just two cats (that you can look through) is a paragon of restraint and moderation.

-abe.

#7 abe

abe

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:43 AM

Excellent! I thought about the head and paws approach, but I think I'll need to mount the whole cat for it to be effective.

You'd think that with the explosion in the cat population recently, especially of the russian and siamese variety, that there'd be more options available for cat mounting.

Using GEMs to mount small cats seems a bit extravagent to me. Although it sounds a bit brutal, it seems like it makes more sense to mount small cats on a fork (I hope the ASPCA isn't reading this).

Incidentally, my wife has 16 cats (one of which are mounted). Next to that, it's arguable that having just two cats (that you can look through) is a paragon of restraint and moderation.

-abe.

#8 abe

abe

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:00 AM

Oops. I meant to say "my wife has 16 cats, NONE of which are mounted", not "one of which are mounted".

Could be one of those fruedian type slips...

-abe.

#9 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:50 AM

Oops. I meant to say "my wife has 16 cats, NONE of which are mounted", not "one of which are mounted".

Could be one of those fruedian type slips...

-abe.

:roflmao:

#10 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:30 PM

In all seriousness, an Orion Sky View Pro mount would be ideal for this scope. At < $400 shipped, it would also be quite economical.
It is very easy to use, and is more than stiff enough for the 5" Mak, even though the 5" INTES is somewhat heavier than the 5" Orion Mak.
Starhopping with charts is easier on an EQ mount (2 degrees N, then 3 degrees East, for an example), and this mount is just the right height to use a low stool for most of your observing.
And the total is easily picked up and moved.
I recently put my 5" Mak on a Celestron AS-GT GoTo mount, which is somewhat heavier than the Sky View Pro (and twice the price), and I can easily pick up that combination and move it out to my patio, so the SVP/5" Mak combo would be super easy for a grab'n'go.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics