•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Miyauchi BINON Adapter Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2005 - 01:47 AM

Hello and help,

This is a bit off topic, but I have to ask.

I purchased the Miyauchi 7x50 BINON several months ago from Kevin at Oberwerk (BigBinocular.com).

I decided to tripod mount them several days ago for the first time. Well, to my dismay, the binocular thread is not the standard 1/4-20. It is closer to a 7/16" thread. So I popped down to True Value and purchased 7/16" and 10mm short bolts.

The 7/16" tightens just at the end of travel in the BINON's open hinge shaft. But, this can't be correct, and I suspect it is from some bad machining on the end of the bolt thread itself. Like, it does not thread properly! The 10mm only slips freely in and out.

I called Kevin and talked to another person who took down my concern and stated that Kevin would be responding by email that evening. Since that didn't happen, I am assuming the note was lost. Kevin has always been great regarding one's concerns in the past.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here? I am beginning to suspect that Miyauchi missed placing an insert adapter in the BINON, which would take it down to the standard 1/4-20 thread.

Thanks all and regards,

Dave.

#2 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:15 AM

I own several binoculars with non-standard threads, including my 7x50. They are not made to mount.

edz

#3 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:22 AM

EdZ,

Ouch! I'm on disability and have a very bad back. I don't think I could hold a 4x20 opera glass steadily.

Thanks. I'll figure it out, one way or the other, and then I'll let everyone know. Thanks again Buddy.

Sincerely,

Dave.

#4 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:33 AM

Check closely. Some of my non standard binocs don't even have any threads in that hole.

edz

#5 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:01 AM

Hello EdZ,

Yes, there are definitely fine threads there. For sure. The problem is I don't have a tool in my workshop that will measure them correctly. I suspect they may be metric--possibly M12 or more now! I can go to 10mm (M10) only.

But the very strange thing about this is: The 7/16" "American" bolt tightens up at the very end of travel/insertion. I'm tempted to permantely intall the darn bolt with plenty of GOOP for reinforcement. However, I do not believe I would ever be able to disassemble this cluge if I must. Actually, that contraption would not hinder the operation of the unit, tho. But for ~$700 USD, why should I need to? I'll give Kevin another callup.

I know this will work. GOOP (a True Value product, and others) is the strongest "glue" ever made (that I know of), and there are different varieties of it. Takes a long time to cure up, but afterwhich, it really is as hard as a rock. I've been using the products for ~10y. I am NOT endorsing it here. Just my experience with it (found it originally at a jewelry retailer for professionals).

I sincerely believe an adapter was left off my bino. Thank you for your suggestions. I will reconsider.

Sincerely,

Dave.

#6 GLR GROUP

GLR GROUP

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:50 AM

Hi!
Often, in order to support the old binoculars, I use a manfrotto clamp. It's much resistant and it can support weights of 15kg. Moreover the Miyauchi 7x50w has a weight(2.8lbs) similar to a 60mm, so i suggest you a good support.
Excuse for my poor english
Piergiovanni
Italy

Attached Thumbnails

• 532223-manfrotto2.jpg

#7 GLR GROUP

GLR GROUP

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:52 AM

another photo..

Attached Thumbnails

• 532224-manfrotto1.jpg

#8 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 26 July 2005 - 11:06 AM

Pier ,

It looks a little " overkill " for MY Zeiss 7 x 42 , but well worth looking into.

I've always been a little wary of these kind of clamps as I'm frightened of damaging the outer finish to such a precious bino of mine :-)

Regards , Kenny

#9 GLR GROUP

GLR GROUP

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 July 2005 - 01:22 PM

Hi Kenny!
It's a pleasure to read your answer. You are right:in fact I always insert a covering of rubber. ( I hope to have written in correct way:-))
If the binoculars are covered with skin, like the Vixen Ultima , it's impossible don't leave signs...
ahh.. I have as soon as bought a Tripod VT from Telescope-Service.com, in the next few days I will say you my impressions.
ciao!
Piergiovanni

#10 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 26 July 2005 - 01:43 PM

Thank You Pier ,

Looking forward to your next report.

It's always nice to hear from you.

Warm regards ,

Kenny

#11 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:12 AM

Hi there,

Your English is just fine. Actually, I have thought about a number of ways to accomplish this task. Yes, I might just, indeed, strap them onto my (one of four) tripods.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Regards,

Dave.

#12 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2005 - 12:49 AM

Hello any Miyauchi BINON 7x50mm users.

I got the answer from Kevin at "BB.com." As I suspected, he had displaced the qwery. No big deal.

The thread is an M12 (12mm metric) at pitch 1. I ran out of steam at 7/16" and 10mm. I really didn't want to use glue to solve the problem.

Found a local source from a very good friend for these this evening. What an unconvention thread design. But, then again, the BINON is unconventional by design.

Regards,

Dave.

#13 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:35 AM

Final, final update,

Trying to find a 12mm Pitch-1 bolt in the real world is impossible. I looked tonight for ~2h, and nothing!

The standard pitch is 1.75, but 1.25 is available on several spots. What under God's name were Miyauchi thinking?

If anyone has a good metric bolt supplier in the UK, I will appreciate hearing from you.

I'm heading down to my "lab" to see just what threads I am able to tap. I'll fix the *BLEEEP* thing myself, once and for all, if I must go this route.

Reagrds to all, and you know I'm POed.

Dave.

#14 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Gemini

Posted 29 July 2005 - 06:14 AM

I too have a Binon, I hadnt taken off the tripod screw cover until your post..... Wow. I think Kevin is possibly wrong on the pitch.

http://www.boltdepot...read-Pitch.aspx

If you check this link 12mx1.25 is JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) bolt. Keep the forum posted on your findings.... Someday, I may want to tripod mount the binons.

PS whats the serial number on yours mine are 66. I havent seen one over 100 yet...

Mark

#15 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 July 2005 - 02:12 AM

Hi Gatorengineer,

First off, my s/n is stamped as 000154.

I checked again with Kevin last evening. BB shares the building with a machine shop, which is adjacent to BB. Kevin responded very quickly, which he did thru two emails, and confirmed that it IS a 12mm, pitch-1. Darn.

How do you regard the optical design of the BINON? I mean, have you yet formed an opinion on their design criterion to force the lower "half" of the FOV to be in more compliance than the upper "half?" Again, I think this was for terrestrial viewing applications, as has been pointed out by Holger a while ago..

I assume Miyauchi isn't selling too many of these guys. Wonder what the MOD-2 design will be, or, if there will even be one such?

Take care and regards,

Dave.

#16 hvezdar1972

hvezdar1972

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:15 AM

I thought for sure I could help you out, Dave, because McMaster-Carr has always had absolutely every piece of hardware I've ever looked for - but no, the closest they come is M12, 1.25 pitch. Wow, never thought those guys could be stumped.
Nils

#17 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:56 AM

Hey hvezdar1972,

I sincerely appreciate your effort to help me out. I just can not find an M12, 1.00 pitch, anywhere.

I am going to drill and tap a (not sure yet) thread into the BINON. Hope I'm successful--done it before with binoculars with no threads. If I'm not, I'll end up with two handy monoculars to use!

I am reluctant to understand why Miyauchi chose such a very non-standard thread and pitch. Maybe for Japan sales only?

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Sincerely,

Dave.

#18 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Gemini

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:51 AM

I took a lead pencil, and marked the threads of mine over to paper, and then mic'ed em. It sure looks like 1.25 to me..... But......

Before you drill and tap, keep in mind that that hinge is the key to collimation on that bino, and looking at mine it looked none too robust, so not sure its up for a drill and tap. One thought that I had is possibly the whole threaded "insert" comes out. Looking at the insert there is a pin on one side, and a spanner slot on the other. perhaps the whole thing screws out?

Other thought is if you have the resources to drill and tap, you can probably rig up a center axis clamp type mount.

like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

I have one, and it works well on binos without a tripod thread, but the one in the pic isnt big enough for the Miyauchis large diameter.

Just some thoughts....... I feel your pain

#19 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:41 AM

Hi gatorengineer,

You are correct. And, aluminum isn't too robust to start with, so I'll take it slow and easy. I do have the necessary titanium bits and taps to do the job. Also the retaining pin looks a bit feeble to me. The threads will not take up on a pitch 1.25. For sure. I think a 7/16" might fit the bill. Don't know yet.

Also, I agree that the thread assembly appears to come out of the barrel, but, unfortunately, I don't have a replacement pin should something foul up.

By the way, what do you think of the apparent or deliberate decentering of the optical axis, top to bottom? Just curious. I believe you must either accept it or live with it. Sometimes I love it, and sometimes I just grab another bino, if I don't want to reassure myself on a given night!

I am curious as to what M. will do for a subsequent model, that is if they continue the endeavour.

I must make a correction to an earlier statement. My S/N is 70, not the 154 that I mentioned. So, indeed, these guys are not mass-produced yet. Perhaps they are better suited for collectors' items. LOL.

By the way, thanks for your input and recommendations.

Regards,

Dave.

#20 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Gemini

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:11 PM

I dont see the decentering others are talking about to be honest, but I know I dont have the eye others here have. I do note a very slight catseye to the exit pupil of mine. I like the glass alot. But unfortunately I dont find myself using it much. I grab a pair of 10 x 50 zeiss usually, or I grabb something larger. I love my 18x70 astrolux as a wide field glass, a little too much juice to hold though.

In looking at the binon it sure looks like it could be made into several different models, and I am surprised miyauchi hasnt done so. How about an 8x60 with 8.5 fov? or a 10 x 70 with 7 for starts? or given their odd aperature choices, a 10x66 with 6.5, would be sweet, or shooting for the stars, pardon the pun a 12x77 with a 5.5? I did email them to ask, but never got an answer....

#21 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:17 AM

Hello again gatorengineer,

I appreciate your candid statements. If possible, sometime you might tripod-mount the BINON and then check the following:

See if the star pinpoints (at center FOV) are less clear, about the same, or morso, at the upper FOV as compared to the lower FOV.

I will try to modify them this coming weekend. According to the post on the larger FUJI's, I'm really beginning to worry about this surgury. OK, take care and good observing.

One more thing. In upstate New York, due to the heat and pollution, this has not been a very productive season!

Regards,

Dave.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics