•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Laser collimator for SCT - Worth it?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 LittleDob

LittleDob

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:45 PM

Would anyone like to comment on the usefulness/uselessness of a laser collimator for a SCT? Purchased new they are kinda pricy, but there are a few on astromart for much less. What worries me though is that every single seller comments that the collimator works perfectly and was used only once! If it works so well, then why sell? (Maybe they figure that once the scope is collimated it will remain so forever more. :smirk:)

Anyway, any comments?
Jason

#2 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 July 2005 - 04:08 AM

well on an sct they are not that handy.. a star test is better... thats is what I have found...so far with a plain laser , (no cheshire)

#3 garyc11

garyc11

Gemini

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:49 AM

i went thru this when i bought my sct should i get a laser or a artifical star i find that using a star works just fine,and it's free.

#4 Catapoman

Catapoman

Apollo

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:24 AM

I borrowed one from a friend once and found I prefer using Bob's Knobs and I regular star.

#5 LittleDob

LittleDob

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for the info!

Looks like I'll stay with what I've got.

Jason

#6 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:41 AM

Would anyone like to comment on the usefulness/uselessness of a laser collimator for a SCT? Purchased new they are kinda pricy, but there are a few on astromart for much less. What worries me though is that every single seller comments that the collimator works perfectly and was used only once! If it works so well, then why sell? (Maybe they figure that once the scope is collimated it will remain so forever more. :smirk:)

Anyway, any comments?
Jason

No, it's because they realize that the SCT collimator didn't do anything that Polaris can't do. If seeing is even mediocre, and you take your time to continually return Polaris to the center of the field after every screw turn, then you can achieve perfect collimation without the purchase of any tools.
Bob's knobs make it easier because no tool is required.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics