•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Are these new?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#26 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

Posted 30 July 2005 - 02:01 PM

After checking with other RASC members in my RASC Halifax center we all agreed that the optics in our Vixens, whether they be binos or scopes, were very good but the common thread was that of an uncoated surface.

15 or 20 years ago FMC and BAK-4 were only found on top quality binoculars. People forget that there were a lot of other parameters that made these binoculars the absolute top. Brands like Vixen and Swift marketed (and continue to do so) several sub-top models which are really very good, yet are not FMC+BAK-4. I take my Swift 20x80s as an example of these: they have BK7 prisms, and are fully coated (not fully multicoated), yet are a solid performer and have a quality construction.

Nowadays, unfortunately, FMC+BAK-4 are no longer the signature of a top quality bin, and there are many mediocre bins demonstrating that, despite being FMC and having BAK-4 prisms, they can be outperformed and/or outlasted by bins that do not.

#27 HfxObserver

HfxObserver

Apollo

• ****-

Posted 30 July 2005 - 02:28 PM

Despite not being FMC the 7X50 Geoma binos from Vixen are the best 7X50's I've looked through. A usefully sharp to 90% of the field to the edge. A light weight at barely 26oz means long panning.

The Vixen 4-inch f9? a fellow observer has is an excellent unit despite one internal reflection it's provided razor sharp images of Jupiter and Saturn.

-Chris

#28 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:31 PM

I just talked to Mike at Oceanside Photo and Telescope about these Vixen 20x80 Giant Waterproof Binos ($589!). He had a pair in front of him and gave me a bit more info than you can find on any web site.

- He said the fit, finish and overall build quality felt like a Fujinon. Definitely a step above the less expensive Chinese binoculars.
- He couldn't find a sticker indicating where they were made, but he said looking at the lens cells they appeared to be of Japanese origin.
- He said the eye relief appeared to be close to 16mm.
- Edge sharpness appeared to be very good. There was minimal field curvature and the view was sharp until very close to the edge.
- I forgot to ask about chromatic abberations.
- He couldn't see anyway for the end user to collimate them.
- He said that for about $20 they would have a tech check a pair before shipping and guarantee collimation before shipping. He said they would put a "shock sticker" on them, but I'm not sure what that meant.

I really wish I could see these in person before ordering a pair. Anyone live near OPT and willing to look at them in person and provide a first hand report?

#29 later

later

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 August 2005 - 04:04 PM

"shock sticker"

is a great invention.........should be used by all shippers of fragile objects. It is a device that clearly shows if the package has undergone undue shock (impact) during shipping.

#30 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 11 August 2005 - 05:00 PM

That's a great idea. I didn't know such a thing existed. Thanks for clarifying it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics