•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

skywatcher 127 or 150?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rhah

Rhah

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:43 PM

Hey all
I currently have a Meade ETX 70 and a 114 mm newtonian Konus wich i dont use that much because its not that practical(transport and collimation). I have been looking for a new, compact, easy to transport scope. Everyone generally has a good opinion of the Skywatcher 127mm Mak, and it seems bang for buck, its one of the best out there.
My question is: Is it worth wating for the sky watcher 150 mm Mak and get a larger aperture, or just get the 127 because the difference is not significant?

Thx in advance for your opinions

#2 Kenny

Kenny

Viking 1

Posted 27 July 2005 - 04:22 PM

Hi!

WELCOME TO CN!!! :) :thewave: :yay:

You don't have to wait for the 150mm, it is already available. You can even get a used one right now at a great price (see my post on the Orion 150mm MAK thread that is also on this forum - the Orion and Skywatcher are identical except for colour). There have been plenty of threads on both Maks on CN so a search should answer many of your questions.

Take care and enjoy the forums,

Ken.

#3 Rhah

Rhah

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2005 - 05:04 PM

Kenny, thx for the warm welcome and quick reply!
I am scanning the forums for other views on the 127 and the 150. I would like to get the 150, but dunno if my EQ3-2 mount will be enough.

Best Regards

#4 Kenny

Kenny

Viking 1

Posted 27 July 2005 - 05:56 PM

Kenny, thx for the warm welcome and quick reply!
I am scanning the forums for other views on the 127 and the 150. I would like to get the 150, but dunno if my EQ3-2 mount will be enough.

Check the "Orion 150mm Mak" thread. It is still on the first page of this forum and I made the last post to it. I don't know about mount requirements, but with the money you save on the used 150mm Skywatcher at Kendrick's (check the "pre-owned" section of their website) you can afford to upgrade your mount if it proves to be necessary.

Ken.

#5 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:13 PM

Hi Rhah,

Welcome to CN.

Just for fun, have you looked at the new Celestron 6" SCT? See Here.

Patrick

#6 Rhah

Rhah

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:43 PM

Hey Patrick!
Thx for the welcome :)
I've had never seen this Celestron model, looks pretty competitive with the Synta 150 Mak. I definitly will have a look.

Best Regards

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics