•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

RawTherapee - postprocessing of astrophotos 4 free

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Senpai

Senpai

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:10 PM

Let me introduce my new find - RawTherapee, the freeware program for postprocessing of images with 16-bit color.

Initially the program is intended to edit and convert RAW pictures from digital cameras.

However, as it turnd out, it perfectly suitable for postprocessing of astrophotographies (taken with DSLRs).

In a program arsenal - a full toolset for batch and single postprocessing:

16bit color manipulation;
Levels (autholevels);
Lab Curves;
HSV (Hue-Saturation-Value) curves and color managemen;
Unsharp mask, RL deconvolution, contrast;
Several noise reduction tools (!);
Fringe reduction tools (!);
Highlights and shadows recovery tools (!);
The essential transform tools;
Process history with fast Undo;
Batch processing (!);

The main feature of the program - possibility to save and reapply all of used tools in batch processing (presets).

Process one photo from the set than save options and apply them to all images from the set in batch queue.

And, of course, it is freeware, multilingual with different OS support (Windows, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Mac OS).

Many thanks to developers! :goodjob:

RawTherapee website: http://rawtherapee.com/
Download page: http://rawtherapee.com/downloads

Posted Image
Graphic intreface screenshot.

Posted Image
The result of 1 minute of work in RawTherapee. Image, taken with unmodded Canon 350D+Tair-3 (1/4.5, F=300mm, nonAPO telelens) calibrated and stacked in freeware DeepSkyStacker.

#2 EdKiefer

EdKiefer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

While I have not tried many astro photo's with RT , I do follow there development and it is very feature rich converter (one of the best free IMO ). Works great, just make sure you have a lot of memory as some of options are memory intensive .
It is constantly getting updated .

#3 Senpai

Senpai

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

Yes, 2Gb of RAM is a minimal requiremet to install and use the last 4.X version of the program.
But I have successfully installed and used 3.X version of RawTherapee on my notebook with 1Gb of RAM.

#4 groz

groz

Vanguard

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

I just pulled this in from the ubuntu repositories. On a quick look, seems to be a lot of potential here, loading raws from back when I used the canon dslr. I've got a couple of tiff files, outputs from stacking, and it doesn't seem to want to load them on the first look.

Dont have time to fuss much today, but, this one looks like it has some decent potential if I can get it to load something other than raw and jpeg.

#5 daev

daev

Technically Enlightened

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:11 PM

Gonna have to add this to my kit... Krita is pretty minimal, and is the only other 16bit app I could find.

dave

#6 Senpai

Senpai

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:23 AM

It realy loads 16-bit TIFFs if they are not compressed (uncompressed). See my screenshot (TIFF loaded there)

#7 planesaver

planesaver

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:53 AM

Do you know of anyone having success on Windows 7 32 bit? There is no download yet for this.

#8 avarakin

avarakin

Vanguard

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:05 AM

Gonna have to add this to my kit... Krita is pretty minimal, and is the only other 16bit app I could find.

dave

Daev,
Showfoto (part of digikam) is also 16 bit and works well.
Event better option for processing under Linux is fitswork under Wine - works really well, actually even better than under W7.

Alex

#9 daev

daev

Technically Enlightened

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:19 AM

Event better option for processing under Linux is fitswork under Wine

great...another curve to learn! :lol: Maybe when I settle on a build. Ubuntu seems to have issues with multimonitor support, and I'm bouncing builds hoping I don't have to drop all the way back to 10.04.

dave

#10 daev

daev

Technically Enlightened

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

Senpai, I just wanted to post a HUGE thank you for dropping this little gem on us here. :bow: Batch processing is nothing short of wonderful for terrestrial photos (I do a lot of panoramas). I'm still working on using it for astro processing, but there's a lot of promise there.

If anyone is using the older ver. 3, upgrade if your system can handle it. Ver. 4 is an impressive step above. I can't help but feel that these guys have tamed tonemapping to the point where it's a useful tool for normal photography.

I've not donated to these guys yet, but that's a good thing. The more I use it, the more I learn, and the more I plan on tossing their way. This is a great tool.

dave

#11 jedimasterk

jedimasterk

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

Don't forget Photivo, another excellent program. works under Windows and Linux. Also if running Linux only, the new Darktable v1.0 has been released. As well as AfterShot Pro (Win,Mac,& Linux) from Corel. Don't have to be locked down with Adobe software all the time.
http://photivo.org/p...tart?redirect=1
http://www.darktable.org/

#12 daev

daev

Technically Enlightened

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

^OS-independent processing is really looking up these days. About dang time us open-source types got a little love! :lol:

dave

#13 Mag

Mag

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:17 PM

I have been using Raw Therapy Linux distribution for processing astrophotos for some time.  I've never used Photoshop, so I cannot compare the two.  I use Nebulosity to acquire deep sky images, stack, and adjust as much as it can, then export, saving as a lossless 16-bit TIFF file.  Then open for post-processing in Raw Therapy, which has far more processing tools and options.  Results (more being added all the time) can be seen at http://www.astrobin.com/users/Mag/. Raw Therapy Linux offers very sophisticated and powerful 16-bit loss-less processing, and is very stable.  Processing parameters can also be named and saved, then batch applied to any future photographs as a starting point with one click.  I'd be interested to see if anyone else is using RT for processing.  At some point the question has to be asked regarding processing of how far it departs from original frame information, becoming essentially a reconstituted photo based on some programmer's "artist's conceptualization."

#14 George Simon

George Simon

Viking 1

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:07 PM

I have been using Raw Therapy Linux distribution for processing astrophotos for some time.  I've never used Photoshop, so I cannot compare the two.  I use Nebulosity to acquire deep sky images, stack, and adjust as much as it can, then export, saving as a lossless 16-bit TIFF file.  Then open for post-processing in Raw Therapy, which has far more processing tools and options.  Results (more being added all the time) can be seen at http://www.astrobin.com/users/Mag/. Raw Therapy Linux offers very sophisticated and powerful 16-bit loss-less processing, and is very stable.  Processing parameters can also be named and saved, then batch applied to any future photographs as a starting point with one click.  I'd be interested to see if anyone else is using RT for processing.

Thank you for resurrecting this thread. I did not know about the existence of RawTherapee until I read your post and the previous posts in this thread.

Right now, my workflow is similar to yours, except that when I leave Nebulosity, I bring my image into GIMP for final processing, which, of course, involves the loss of data due to GIMP's 8-bit color depth. I am intrigued by what I have read so far about RawTherapee. However, I note that it does not support layers and layer masks. Has the lack of this feature negatively impacted at all your use of this program for astro processing? If not, have you developed some work-around?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics