•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Something for nothing: Celestron C90

• Please log in to reply
2720 replies to this topic

#2676 Parsonsk

Parsonsk

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 July 2021 - 07:53 PM

What about tripods and mounts. What are you using for the c90?

Anyone using the Celestron Regal tripod?

#2677 Old Man

Old Man

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 13 July 2021 - 08:07 PM

I use this mainly for GnG, I use a Manfrotto photo tripod with an Oberwerks 5000 head, works great.

If I plan ahead I use it on an AVX tripod and mount.

#2678 Jim1804

Jim1804

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh-Durham NC, USA

Posted 13 July 2021 - 08:25 PM

What about tripods and mounts. What are you using for the c90?

Anyone using the Celestron Regal tripod?

At home, it rides on my Twilight 1 - probably overkill, but it's super stable. 

When I travel with it, I either put it on a mini-dob mount screwed on to a photo tripod, or with just the ball head tipped over into the notch - although it's a little side heavy. 

I really dislike using a scope on top of a pan and tilt head - I much prefer having it off to the side. It's MUCH more stable, particularly when pointing up. But on top works for some people, so YMMV. 

I personally think it would ride better on a Twilight Nano mount, either the Alt-Az or the EQ version, although I don't have either of these mounts. There's a thread on CN somewhere talking about the C90 on the Nano EQ - the posts were very positive. Both of these options would mount the C90 to the side of the head, and look like they're less expensive than the Celestron Regal. But others may have more insight. 

#2679 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 13 July 2021 - 09:25 PM

My C-90 is on an old Bogen/Manfrotto 3033 with a LP128 video head. I've gone back to using it as both a daytime spotter and quick peek astro-scope. I can pick it up with one hand and be out the door in a flash. So it gets a lot of use. Zero set up time. The tripod is over-kill but the quick release legs make using it literally a snap. For me, this is where this scope really shines. Keeping it simple, handy and by the door. waytogo.gif

• Sarkikos and Old Man like this

#2680 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Right Coast of the Chesapeake Bay

Posted 14 July 2021 - 06:07 AM

My C90 is attached to a quick-release plate which goes on a 501HDV Manfrotto head on a tripod with elevator column.  I think these small scopes do better riding on top of a good photo head that's spring-loaded and has a panhandle, rather than side-mounted on a little alt-az head.  Up to about a C5 works well with the 501HDV.  Some have put a C6 on this type of setup, but I think that's pushing it.

At least that's my experience.  YMMV.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 14 July 2021 - 06:13 AM.

• sevenofnine likes this

#2681 barbie

barbie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 16 July 2021 - 08:56 AM

I use my 90mm Mak on a Orion Paragon HD tripod with fluid head and it's ideal for one trip, out of the front door quick set up and observe sessions. It is very solid at high magnification with little to no vibration. It's also lightweight enough for me to carry in one hand.
  • Sarkikos likes this

#2682 MajorTom63

MajorTom63

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 July 2021 - 12:48 PM

Got my C90 today! And it appears to be no flocking needed! Got a good deal also! Tripod and a extra eyepiece that they didn't mention when I ordered it. 32mm and 12.5mm plossl. Looking forward to darkness!! 

• Jaimo!, SandyHouTex and Jim1804 like this

#2683 Jim1804

Jim1804

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 July 2021 - 07:16 PM

Got my C90 today! And it appears to be no flocking needed! Got a good deal also! Tripod and a extra eyepiece that they didn't mention when I ordered it. 32mm and 12.5mm plossl. Looking forward to darkness!! 

Congrats, and welcome to the club! Just in time for the planets to make a good appearance...

Sounds like you got the older package with the extra eyepiece - definitely a good deal!

Clear skies,

Jim

• MajorTom63 likes this

#2684 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 20 July 2021 - 05:55 AM

Has anyone wrapped their C90 with Reflectix to control thermals?  This little scope is prone to tube currents, especially when taken out in the colder months.

Mike

#2685 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Viking 1

• Loc: 40°28'36.8"N 75°12'30.5"W

Posted 20 July 2021 - 12:10 PM

Has anyone wrapped their C90 with Reflectix to control thermals?  This little scope is prone to tube currents, especially when taken out in the colder months.

Mike

I recently acquired an old f/11 C90, will want to make a dew shield for it and Reflectix seems to be a common material for that (when the inside surface is blacked, of course).

Sounds like it would be smart to cover the entirety of the exposed tube forward of the focus ring with the shield.

• Sarkikos likes this

#2686 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 20 July 2021 - 01:05 PM

Yes, I wouldn't want the shiny surface of Reflectix surrounding the optical path by extending it over the sky end of the scope, although it seems some do this and think nothing of it.  Why solve the thermal problem and create a glare problem?  thinking1.gif

So I would either blacken the inside of the Reflectix where it extends beyond the sky end of the scope, or first attach a black light-shield and then wrap the Reflectix around that and the rest of the scope.

Some claim you don't need a dew/light shield if you wrap Reflectix around the scope.  I have my doubts about this, in my area at least.  Also, you expose the corrector to ambient light and glare.

In any case, a little C90 seems a good place to start in experimenting with Reflectix.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 20 July 2021 - 07:01 PM.

• BlueTrane2028 likes this

#2687 ellevy12

ellevy12

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 14 August 2021 - 09:29 AM

This is a huge thread !

I stumbled upon celestron C90 and i am thinking of using one as a grab and go scope. just for observing the moon and plants, so i won't need to take my 10" dob downstairs

would you think the c90 is capable for this ?  already saw that mod needed are:

- dew shield

- 90 deg diagonal

- use my rigel or red dot as a finder

what tripod would be good for this "grab and go" task ? photo tripod will be good enough? i want to keep it "budget" and small in space and weight.

thanks!

• Sarkikos likes this

#2688 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 14 August 2021 - 10:15 AM

This is a huge thread !

I stumbled upon celestron C90 and i am thinking of using one as a grab and go scope. just for observing the moon and plants, so i won't need to take my 10" dob downstairs

would you think the c90 is capable for this ?  already saw that mod needed are:

- dew shield

- 90 deg diagonal

what tripod would be good for this "grab and go" task ? photo tripod will be good enough? i want to keep it "budget" and small in space and weight.

thanks!

Yes, yes, and yes.

Mike

#2689 Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Suburbs of Reading PA

Posted 14 August 2021 - 02:06 PM

A good camera tripod will work, but the cheap ones will be disappointing. 

• Sarkikos likes this

#2690 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 14 August 2021 - 02:31 PM

The best photo tripods for small telescopes have a built-in spring for balance stabilization.  This will come in handy when the telescope is pointed near zenith.

Mike

• Steve Cox likes this

#2691 Jim1804

Jim1804

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 August 2021 - 03:41 PM

This is a huge thread !

would you think the c90 is capable for this ? already saw that mod needed are:

- dew shield
- 90 deg diagonal

thanks!

You’ll love the C90 for grab and go planets and lunar - it hangs out in my garage all summer for exactly that purpose. It’s good on double stars too, within the limits of its resolution, of course.

Mine normally rides on a Twilight 1 - complete overkill, but I put other scopes on it too.

If you use a photo tripod, you’re going to want to figure out how to get the axis of rotation off to the side of the mount - you can mount it “sidesaddle” with a pan head, or with a ball head tipped over into the notch (my preference). You can find examples of both in the thread.
  • ellevy12 likes this

#2692 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 14 August 2021 - 06:46 PM

You’ll love the C90 for grab and go planets and lunar - it hangs out in my garage all summer for exactly that purpose. It’s good on double stars too, within the limits of its resolution, of course.

Mine normally rides on a Twilight 1 - complete overkill, but I put other scopes on it too.

If you use a photo tripod, you’re going to want to figure out how to get the axis of rotation off to the side of the mount - you can mount it “sidesaddle” with a pan head, or with a ball head tipped over into the notch (my preference). You can find examples of both in the thread.

You won't need to have the C90 ride sidesaddle on the mount.  It can ride on top like a real cowboy, if the mount has balance stabilization (an internal spring).

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 14 August 2021 - 06:47 PM.

#2693 ellevy12

ellevy12

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 15 August 2021 - 06:36 AM

So it's OK to assume i can use this on regular "cheap but strong" camera tripod , with ball head ? and how do i turn the telescope right/left up/down ? with the hands like dob ?or maybe i should i use a pan handle?

if anyone here using camera tripod, i would like to hear if its suitable

Thanks

#2694 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Aurora

• Administrators
  • Loc: 3rd Stone from the Sun

Posted 15 August 2021 - 05:22 PM

So it's OK to assume i can use this on regular "cheap but strong" camera tripod , with ball head ? and how do i turn the telescope right/left up/down ? with the hands like dob ?or maybe i should i use a pan handle?

if anyone here using camera tripod, i would like to hear if its suitable

Thanks

I would look for a camera tripod with a pan head or fluid head.  The long focal ratio (slow) of the C90 gives a more narrow field of view than a scope with a shorter focal ratio (fast); I cannot imagine this is in combination with a ball head will lead to nothing but frustration...

I use a photo tripod, but have a more expensive head with fine adjustments, the dampening time takes a few seconds.  I still prefer a dedicated astronomy mount and tripod when available.

I've posted this image almost a bajillion time in this thread...  please forgive me.

IMG_20190831_184138 - small.jpg

Clear Skies,

Jaimo!

• paulsky, Sarkikos, titanio and 1 other like this

#2695 Jim1804

Jim1804

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 August 2021 - 05:31 PM

If you tip the ball head over, it moves like a dob - very stable. If you balance it right, you can leave the clutches unlocked and it stays where you point it.

#2696 titanio

titanio

Ranger 4

• Loc: Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Posted 15 August 2021 - 06:58 PM

I do not have a c90 Mak but I have the SW 90 Mak f14, If God wants, I will insulate with Reflectix once I come back  from my hollidays. It is needed not only to use the telescope faster, without waiting to cold down, but also, and what is more important for me, to avoid the temperatures changes during the night. 

#2697 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 16 August 2021 - 10:24 AM

I would look for a camera tripod with a pan head or fluid head.  The long focal ratio (slow) of the C90 gives a more narrow field of view than a scope with a shorter focal ratio (fast); I cannot imagine this is in combination with a ball head will lead to nothing but frustration...

I use a photo tripod, but have a more expensive head with fine adjustments, the dampening time takes a few seconds.  I still prefer a dedicated astronomy mount and tripod when available.

I've posted this image almost a bajillion time in this thread...  please forgive me.

attachicon.gifIMG_20190831_184138 - small.jpg

Clear Skies,

Jaimo!

What is the head in the picture?  A picture is not always worth a thousand words.  wink.gif

Will this head allow the C90 to point to zenith?  That's also not clear from the picture.

Mike

#2698 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Viking 1

• Loc: 40°28'36.8"N 75°12'30.5"W

Posted 16 August 2021 - 12:58 PM

A basic EQ mount like an EQ2/CG-3 would be perfect for one of these and are not at all expensive.  In fact, that's how my vintage C90 is mounted, on an old EQ2.

51342274386_db9c74c836_b.jpg

Edited by BlueTrane2028, 16 August 2021 - 01:06 PM.

• paulsky and Jaimo! like this

#2699 barbie

barbie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 16 August 2021 - 02:28 PM

I use good quality fluid head photo tripods with a fine adjustment accessory from Vixen for each and have no problems keeping objects in the field of view with my 90mm Maks. After years of using equatorial mounts, it took a little time to get used to alt azimuth mounts but I eventually became accustomed to keeping objects in the scope's field of view at high powers.

Edited by barbie, 16 August 2021 - 02:29 PM.

• Sarkikos likes this

#2700 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 16 August 2021 - 05:02 PM

On my 501HDV, the fine adjustment accessory is a panhandle!

:grin:

Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics