•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DIY Monopod

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Steve F

Steve F

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:05 PM

I finished my monopod this weekend. I started it while waiting for my 20X80s to come in. After starting the monopod I shelved the project and built a parallelogram mount instead. I have 7X50 Bushnells on the monnopod in these pictures but I hope to get a pair of 15X70s to serve as my always in the car astronomy instrument with the monopod.

There are three handles on the mount so you can find a comfortable position to hold on at any angle. As you step toward the mount the head pivots up and the binos raise to a higher level to facilitate viewing near zenith.

The idea here is to lean on the monopod to steady not only the binoculars but your body as well.

It is really very comfortable to use.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5019332-viewing near horizon.jpg

#2 Steve F

Steve F

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

Viewing near Zenith.

I just got back form playing tennis so please forgive how I look and how I am dressed.

My wife says be glad you can not smell me! :shameonyou:

Attached Thumbnails

• 5019345-Viewing near zenith 2.jpg

#3 Steve F

Steve F

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

Here is the business end of the mount.

These binoculars have a rocker focusing mechanism that limits how you can fasten them to the mount. Other binoculars would be easier to fasten to the mount. This will have to do until I upgrade to the 15X70s.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5019347-monopod operator side.jpg

#4 Steve F

Steve F

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

The staff comes off of the head and breaks into two pieces so the whole thing can be thrown into the trunk.

My assistant is showing you the bolts that fasten the two ends of the staff together.

Again, leaning on the monopod really helps me to steady my head and makes viewing less tiring. When my hands and /or arms get tired, changing position to one of the other handles helps to get the blood flowing again.

Here is hoping you have clear skies, tonight I don't!

Attached Thumbnails

• 5019360-Monopod break down bolts.jpg

#5 Steve F

Steve F

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:10 AM

Here is a front view showing the bolt attaching the staff to the tilting head.

That white stuff is not a bandage it is Teflon pipe tape. The Teflon tape makes the head tilt more smoothly.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5020330-Monopod swivel.jpg

#6 Steve F

Steve F

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

The wood blocks are spaced so that the binoculars are set to my IPD. This is the only way I could think of to mount these particular binoculars. The monopod works really well and deserves a better set of binoculars, when that happens a 1/4 X20 bolt through the top of the tilting head will allow me to mount binoculars in a manner similar to a traditional tripod.

I have less than $10.00 invested in this project and it can be thrown together in a couple of hours.

Have fun.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5020355-Front View.jpg

#7 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

Not bad for $10.
Just got Garret Pistol Grip Monopod which is more get up and go portable; plus I like the quick release and screw lock.

#8 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Skylab

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

Nice little DIY project. I made one out of PVC pipe a couple of years ago. May have to post a pic.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics