•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fujinon FMT-SX 10x50

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 John R

John R

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 July 2005 - 09:27 PM

I was surprised to recently see these binos available at Eagle optics. I was not aware they were available in the US market. Having had several of their excellent binoculars in the past I could not resist and purchased a pair. I have only had a few times to use them but so far I am impressed. They have a very nice flat field with the stars remaining pinpoint almost to the very edge. They have more contrast than the 7x50 Fujinons I had in the past, due to the smaller exit pupil, and have much better edge performance.
I was wondering if anyone else has gotten a pair of these and what your impressions were.

#2 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 30 July 2005 - 09:29 PM

I haven't seen these, yet. What is their fov?

#3 holger_merlitz

holger_merlitz

Mariner 2

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:56 PM

Hi John,

I once wrote a review of the FMTR (rubber-armored) version:

http://www.holgermer...jinon10x50.html

They are surely the best 10x50 astro binoculars on the market. As a general-purpose binocular, they are a bit heavy and, due to individual focuser, not so comfortable.

Best,
Holger

#4 hvezdar1972

hvezdar1972

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:03 AM

I've been really impressed with my pair, I can't imagine a better 10x binocular. Unfortunately, I prefer a 7x-8x binocular most of the time, so haven't been using them as much as I would like. It is a rare night that I can hold them steady on the stars, so usually I switch to the 7x50 pretty quickly. But it is always with regret, because the wider field of view of the 10x50 is much more involving.

Watching birds at a stationary feeder seems to be the best use for them. For any other kind of bird watching, the individual eyepiece focus makes them less convenient. It is easier for me to deal with in the 7x50 because the depth of field is so immense, I rarely need to refocus. Although the depth of field in the 10x50 is excellent for a 10x binocular, it's still a 10x binocular so there is refocusing to be done.

One thing I notice is that the coatings appear very different from those on my 4 year old 7x50. The 7x50s are green in color, and the glass is as invisible as I have ever seen glass in a binocular. You really have to look hard for reflections, which are much more apparent to my eyes in the 10x50. The coatings on the 10x50 are a purple-violet, not at all green. The fact that they appear to reflect light more stongly may be misleading. In actual use of course it means nothing, the view is absolutely sharp and color neutral just like in the 7x50, only wider, bigger and unfortunately a bit bouncy. But that's how it has to be at higher magnification - they are a great pair of binos.
Nils

#5 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 July 2005 - 11:45 AM

Before I purchased my Canon 10x42L IS WP's I had my eye on the Pentax PIF 10x50's that had a fairly good review .

Joe

#6 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 July 2005 - 02:43 PM

Holger,

Is the useable ER on the 10X50 FMTR-SX actually 20mm? You mention that they are good for eyeglass wearers, and I know from the review of the 10X50 Pentax PIF that you wear glasses. Were you able to see the entire FOV in the 10X50 Fujinon w/ your glasses on? I ask for two reasons: (1) the eyecups look shorter than 20mm, and (2) because of a post I read in Birdforum by Henry Link that said the eyepiece lenses on 8X30 FMTR-SX are recessed by 7-8mm with the eyecups rolled down, leaving only about 9-10mm of useable eye relief with glasses instead of the listed 17mm (the minimum for my glasses/facial features). Could you see the entire FOV w/ the 8X30 FMTR-SX w/ glasses?

(see Henry's comments in context on the Webpage below).
http://www.birdforum...on 8X30 FMTR-SX

I had a 6X30 FMTR-SX. The ER (listed as 20mm) was at least 17mm since I could see the entire FOV (8.3*) w/ my glasses. I had thought the the 8X30 would have at least 15mm useable ER if it used the same design as the 6X30.

#7 holger_merlitz

holger_merlitz

Mariner 2

Posted 31 July 2005 - 07:59 PM

>>>You mention that they are good for eyeglass wearers, and I know from the review of the 10X50 Pentax PIF that you wear glasses...

-----------------------------------------------------------

Oops, no, I am not wearing glasses! But I noticed with the Fujinon 8x30 that its usable eye-relief was in fact much less than the claimed 17mm. I did not notice the same with the 10x50, and as much as I heard from others, they caused no problems for eye-glass wearers. Anyway, let's better wait for some opinions from people with glasses.

Best,
Holger

#8 John R

John R

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:57 PM

I wear glasses and I am getting the full field of view. My guess is the 20mm of ER is correct. The FOV is 6.3 degrees if I recall correctly. Used them mounted last night and got great views. Very happy.

#9 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:08 PM

Eagle Optics lists the price of the FMT-SX 10x50 as $549.

edz

#10 scalkins

scalkins

Lift Off

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:36 PM

I wonder how the Fujinon FMT-SX 10x50 compare against the Oberwerk Mariner 10x60 binoculars. The weight is almost the same and the dimensions are similar in area. The Fujinon are 7.5 height and 8.5 width, while the Oberwerk are 8.5 inches height and 7.5 width. Field of view is better in the Mariner but is it worth 3x price increase

#11 holger_merlitz

holger_merlitz

Mariner 2

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:10 AM

What makes the Fujinon so special is the fact that 90% of its 65 deg. AFOV actually show point-like stars. A second plus is its excellent coating: When observing the moon, the sky just beneath remains absolutely black, no ghosting is reducing the contrast. Finally, it is constructed according to US military specs, a feature that is not needed in astronomy. However, its water resistance will extend the lifetime of that instrument, so that it may be usable for decades without any further CLA.

Best,
Holger

#12 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:09 AM

What exactlly make The Fujinon simply the best bino.?
I'm wonder if glass used to make this bino. is simply fluoryt?or is somthing more what makes no ghoes?
Best
Jack

#13 holger_merlitz

holger_merlitz

Mariner 2

Posted 02 August 2005 - 08:56 PM

It is not so much the glass but its coating. Fujinon has developed a highly efficient way to prevent light from being reflected on each of the glass surfaces. Uncoated, about 4% of the light is reflected on EACH glass surface. This does not only mean a loss of light. Much worse, that light goes somewhere else and becomes stray light and produces ghost images. An old fashioned single coating (and many of the Chinese "fully-coated" binoculars are hardly better) is reducing that value down to the order of 1%, high end multi-coatings go down to 0.2%. All that varies with the wave length, however. Modern coatings of high quality (and cost!) are sometimes made of more than 20 layers, each of them taking care of different wavelengths. It is not only Fujinon, but the high end of Nikon, Zeiss etc. who have got coatings of that quality. What exactly each of them are made of is kept secret - nobody wants to encourage those Chinese to copy these methods, too :-)

Best,
Holger

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics