•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1126 replies to this topic

#26 jhubs

jhubs

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:36 PM

It would be fun to fit the scruffiest mk28 you could find with prostar optics then pass it around at a optics demo day. Ooh the mischief!

#27 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

• Loc: Crawley West Sussex UK

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

I'm not convinced the difference will be that great. But it's been a while since I got the tropical's out so I might start digging this evening.

#28 Jay_Bird

Jay_Bird

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Nevada, USA 36 N 115W

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

I understand Bill's caution about glass - I've seen old large-format camera lenses with imperfections, even a ~1/32 inch bubble in the front element of an Aero-Ektar, but nothing that obvious in the few older visual optics I've looked through.

All I can say about the Mk 28 is that a "coated optics" example is nicer for astronomy than the current $100 range Chinese, and pretty good c. 1970s Japanese, center focus models that I can compare it with. The B&L really opens up the Milky Way from a dark site.

#29 FrankKD

FrankKD

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

My contribution for the day to this thread. I picked up a Swift Holiday Mark II (Bak-4 prisms) a couple of weeks ago via the bay for the paltry sum of $35. Excellent overall condition minus some fungus in the left barrel. I will probably have it cleaned at some point but it isn't affecting the view from what I can tell.

Excellent optical performance in the areas of apparent sharpness, apparent brightness and, of course, field of view. The sweet spot seems good but not great at around 65% of the field of view. More compact than the Swift Sport King circa 1965 that I have on hand with a more neutral color representation.

I took some pics via my cell phone but they certainly don't do the binocular justice.

Posted Image

#30 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

Nice Swift Frank, looks in mint condition. Are you collecting old Japanese binoculars too?

#31 FrankKD

FrankKD

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:06 PM

Yes. Those are my primary interest as they seem the most readily available in the US market and are vastly overlooked by the current roof prism craze. For that I am thankful as there are so many people out there that don't know what they are missing.

A relatively updated list of those models is found on my flickr page linked below.

From the traditional vintage porro list the Sears Discoverers are probably my favorites though each of the ones in my selection have something specific that makes them appealing. More recent, but out of production, porro favorites would be the Nikon WF and Golden Ring 7x35s.

#32 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

Ahh that is you! I wondered. Your on a very slippery slope now!
You need a Audubon or two to become a true Japanese binocular collector though.

#33 binman

binman

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:46 AM

picked up one of these yesterday in really nice condition, USSR made 8x30 monocular. i've heard a lot said about how good these are so thought i'de search one out. this ones dated 1982 from the serial number.
lovely little tool

Attached Thumbnails

• 5051230-small mono8x30.JPG

#34 BillC

BillC

on a new path

• Loc: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

I wonder why they used PART of a roof prism system as a design on the backplate of a Porro-based instriment?

BillC

#35 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

Nice find Binman. Thats a KOMZ monocular, see this link.

#36 binman

binman

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

the optical performance is i think pretty good! i paid with postage £15 i also picked up a pair of komz 8x30 binoculars also dated 1982 for £14 with postage and luckily there what i class "a good pair" ie nice build/assembly and selection of parts and well put together/collimated so will be keeping them as well

maybe "82" was a good year for soviet binoculars?

#37 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

I wonder why they used PART of a roof prism system as a design on the backplate of a Porro-based instriment?

BillC

Bill, it would appear that the semi-penta prism diagram is part of KOMZ's logo! ;)

http://www.baigish.ru/eng/about_comp/

Rich V

#38 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:16 PM

Here is a link to some common Russian emblem.
http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/logos/

#39 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

"Bill, it would appear that the semi-penta prism diagram is part of KOMZ's logo!"

Still, interesting; thanks, Rich.

BillC

#40 jhubs

jhubs

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

Russian binoculars must be one of the best bargains in used optics,I seem to be a bit of a magnet for them! Sometimes you get a hand signed Q.C certificate stuffed in the stinky leather case,nice touch I have pair of the 7x35 roofs that look like a notarem knock off they are unbelievably light and optically great(better than the notarems)I wonder if they use mirrors instead of prisms?

#41 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

Well if they are mirrors, you better hope you never have a reason to go inside!

Welcome to Cloudy Nights.

Bill

#42 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

Jhubs, no they do use prisms and I have a pair at work that people use for bird spotting at lunch..
Bill you might give people a chance. Sarcasm is not constructive, if this thread annoys or irritates you let us muddle through. I understand your knowledge and experience is vast in comparison to ours but let us voice our opinions.

#43 jhubs

jhubs

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

Thanks for the kind welcome Bill!
I would love to learn to clean/service some of the pairs I have picked up over the years but collimation just downright terrifies me! I think listening to you guys here may be what I need to overcome my "phobia". Is there a good book on the subject you could recommend?

#44 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

jhubs get a cheap binocular and try. Nothing to loose.

#45 jhubs

jhubs

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

I thought they might have been designed around the old leitz amplivid system ah well! nothing but plain jane Schmidt-pechan then!

#46 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

Jhubs, no they do use prisms and I have a pair at work that people use for bird spotting at lunch..
Bill you might give people a chance. Sarcasm is not constructive, if this thread annoys or irritates you let us muddle through. I understand your knowledge and experience is vast in comparison to ours but let us voice our opinions.

Simon:

There is a difference between having fun and being sarcastic. That's why the "curmudgeon" was invented. You have seen VERY few times when I have really been sarcastic.

If I were truly annoyed, I wouldn't be here; most folks KNOW that.

However, if I have offended you with my tongue in cheek ways, I certainly am sorry. I want to save all my sarcasm for nameless people . . . like, say, Marco! :shocked:

BillC

#47 Pinewood

Pinewood

Apollo

• Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

Russian binoculars must be one of the best bargains in used optics,I seem to be a bit of a magnet for them! Sometimes you get a hand signed Q.C certificate stuffed in the stinky leather case,nice touch I have pair of the 7x35 roofs that look like a notarem knock off they are unbelievably light and optically great(better than the notarems)I wonder if they use mirrors instead of prisms?

Hello J,

I used one of those, this week, to look at buffleheads in Central Park. They are certainly not extraordinary but are very usable, even without phase coating.
I think that those ubiquitous Chinese binoculars are providing better value and better optics, forcing those older Russian designs off the market.

Clear skies,
Arthur Pinewood :p

#48 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

I think that those ubiquitous Chinese binoculars are providing better value and better optics, forcing those older Russian designs off the market.

Arthur Pinewood :p

I certainly hope not.
Even though I only own one USSR made Tento 20x60 binocular I would not mind having more USSR binos in the future. :like:

Stan

#49 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

I recently tried to sell a Russian Foton 7x35 roof prism ,never got a sniff, think I was asking $50 and that included shipping, I also have a Russian 20x60, 8x30 monocular, 10x30 Tourist telescope and a nice Galileon 4x36, most of these are pre USSR collapse, some with leather cases, certificates etc, a few yrs back I also had a Tento 7x50,also worth mentioning that the Russians make some very nice mechanical watches of which I own several, also I have a couple of Russian mechanical cockpit clocks, I was in the RAF, cold war era and had a sneeky admiration for the Russians, however I never voiced it at that time for obvious reasons, Dave. :shameonyou:

#50 binman

binman

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:38 AM

I recently tried to sell a Russian Foton 7x35 roof prism ,never got a sniff, think I was asking $50 and that included shipping, I also have a Russian 20x60, 8x30 monocular, 10x30 Tourist telescope and a nice Galileon 4x36, most of these are pre USSR collapse, some with leather cases, certificates etc, a few yrs back I also had a Tento 7x50,also worth mentioning that the Russians make some very nice mechanical watches of which I own several, also I have a couple of Russian mechanical cockpit clocks, I was in the RAF, cold war era and had a sneeky admiration for the Russians, however I never voiced it at that time for obvious reasons, Dave. :shameonyou:

i wouldnt pay much for them, they are good but with iffy QC and build you take a chance, the charm is getting them so cheap! i probably bought 4 or 5 pairs to get a good set 2 or 3 years ago! i made the mistake of selling them though, but i got very lucky with the set i bought a few days ago. a couple years ago you could pick up russian/ussr made 8x30's for under £10 on the internet auction sights which ment you could buy a few and pick out the best then sell the rest or give them away.
nowadays people want £30 £40 or even £65 plus! for a set of 8x30's.
there not as good optically as the carl ziess jena 8x30's but they are tougher
i held out for a badly listed set of 8x30's and paid £10 for them plus a little for postage

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics