•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Suggestions: Good 10x50 Binos?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 John Kocijanski

John Kocijanski

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:00 PM

May pick up a pair for astro and terrestrial viewing. Looking to spend around $300. Suggestions? Celestron Ultimas seem to get high praise.

#2 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 August 2005 - 06:53 PM

Here is an interesting pair of 10x50's.

#3 Alby

Alby

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 August 2005 - 07:12 PM

John;

Pentax PCF WP II 10x50........sweet!

http://www.pentaxcan...wpII_series.php

Alby

#4 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:30 PM

I have owned and tried many of the moderately priced 10x50 binoculars including the Nikon Action Extreme 10x50 and the Pentax PCF V and PCF WP series. However, for my money, the best pair out there in your price range would be either the Orion Savannah 10x50 or the Leupold Wind River 10x50.

Search for my review posted about a month ago.

Barry Simon

#5 John Kocijanski

John Kocijanski

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:35 PM

Search for my review posted about a month ago.

Thanks. I saw that. The Orions are on my list.

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 02 August 2005 - 07:56 AM

I've been using Celestron Ultima 10x50s for over 12 years, and they're excellent. I think that Orion's "Vista" series is the same line. I can't tell you anything about Celestron's new Ultima DX, though. I suspect that they're Chinese made and probably not up to the high standards of the Japanese made original Ultimas.

#7 John Kocijanski

John Kocijanski

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 02 August 2005 - 08:48 AM

Anyone know anything about Vixen Geomas or Celestron Nobles?

#8 HfxObserver

HfxObserver

Apollo

• ****-

Posted 03 August 2005 - 01:56 PM

I'm glad you asked about the Geoma's :)
I think I'm the only one on here who actually purchased a pair, though, the 7X50's not the 10X50's. From what I can tell these are the same as the older Celestron Ultimas, the 7X50 Ultima is unavailable so I went with the Geomas. If you can get the Celestron 10X50 for less then the Geoma, I'd be more tempted to go that way.

The Key here is to ensure that if you wear glasses that you have enough eye-relief. But you probably already know that.

In my experience both the Geoma 7X50 and Celestron Ultima 10X50, which I've compared side by side, both have adequate eye relief.

I really like both these binos and find they provide excellent optical quality and are lighter then many competing models.

-Chris

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 03 August 2005 - 03:34 PM

John,

I would seriously consider saving some more money and putting it into a pair of the Fujinon FMT-SX 10x50. You will never have to second doubt your purchase in the way of quality, durability, re-sale value, or performance, something that always nags in the back of my mind when I settle for a lesser alternative.

As others have often said here, there are no disappointed or unhappy Fujinon owners.

FWIW,

Bryant

#10 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

Posted 03 August 2005 - 04:00 PM

I would seriously consider saving some more money and putting it into a pair of the Fujinon FMT-SX 10x50.

...and I would just add that daytime viewing with binoculars having individual eyepiece focussing is not for everybody. In fact I consider it not for everybody even for astronomical use.

#11 blandp11

blandp11

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 August 2005 - 01:17 PM

I agree - I've had my pair of Celesron Ultima 10X50's since 1996 and love 'em. I use them with my glasses, with the rubber eyeguard rolled down, with no problems seeing the entire FOV. YMMV.

Philip

Celestron Ultima 10X50, which I've compared side by side, both have adequate eye relief.

#12 ChrisR

ChrisR

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:36 PM

The Celestron Nobles are definetly a good buy and will serve you well. You may want to also check out the Minolta Active 10x50 WP-FP. While the Celestron Nobles beat the Minolta's in just about every way a bino can. The Minolta is definently a good solid performer at $215.00 and definently worth a look if your are on a budget.

#13 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

Vanguard

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:27 AM

I picked up a pair of the Oberwerk Mariner 10x60s. These are excellent IMHO. I would put them on the comparison list with the mentioned above: Orion Savannah, Pentax PCF, Nikon AE, Leupold Wind River and even Fujinon. It should at least get a mention... :)

Later,
Mark

#14 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 06 August 2005 - 02:47 PM

One of my favorites is the Carl Zeizz Jena 10 x 50's. They are always on eBay for between $140 - $225, and when I dropped mine, I had a heckuva time trying to replace them for $300 - $400, so I gave up.

Use Jenoptem as a search term, and the serial number should be over 6000000 (7 digits) to be assured of having the better coatings. I use them for the night sky and also football games because they have such a good fov. They also don't have hardly any serious pin cushioning - that was one of the harder things to avoid (for me) on the newer bino's at the $300+ price range.

I'm sure there are a lot of people on this forum with a lot more experience than I have that have good suggestions, though.

#15 photonovore

photonovore

Moonatic

Posted 07 August 2005 - 01:41 PM

If you're after premium optical qulaity at a good cost/value with some class appeal, try looking for some 10x50 East German Zeiss binos? When I lived in Germany in the 80's, before the wall fell, practically every person I knew who travelled to East Berlin picked up a pair. Couldn't afford not to really... They were the same design as produced in the war years, came with the same hardcase. Get a pair that was picked up by a GI before the wall fell and they're even branded "Zeiss".

Funny part (and illustrative to me of what actually drives pricing in binoculars--which places optical quality a distant second to brand appeal) was that the West Germans also had their Zeiss factory, of course. Their products were more modernized, as far as style went anyway. But what struck me was not the optical differences between West & East Zeiss examples of the unbiquitous 7x50 (there wasn't any), but the difference in price--the Western Zeiss were marketed at many hundreds of dollars; the Eastern, well, a pair of 7x50's would set you back about 30$US! Obviously the communists had no understanding of marketing.... ;) Of course *now* these same East German "Jena" binos also go for a couple of hundred or more *used* on ebay & elsewhere... funny how that works out isn't it? :D Yet they are still worth it, I suppose, when the 'good son's' Zeiss' go for many hundreds more. Must be that 30$ heritage...

#16 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 07 August 2005 - 02:32 PM

Check out the Links section of this forum. Dr. Holger Merlitz reviews many European binoculars of older design on his site, including Jenoptems. It would be important to be aware that these venerable binoculars, although they possessed fine optics, had rather short eye relief. That is an important buying consideration if you wear eyeglasses.

#17 John Kocijanski

John Kocijanski

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2005 - 04:22 PM

I went to Highpoint Scientific today and tried out some binos. The Celstron Nobles were first on my list but they did not have 10x50s in stock. I tried the Pentax, Vixen, and Ultimas. The Ultimas and Vixen Geomas were sharper than the Pentax. I went with the Ultimas since it has a lifetime warranty and the Vixen is only five years. They are essentially the same bino and were equally as sharp. The only Ultimas they had though were the ones they had on the floor. I took them for a demo price of $175. They go for $239 new.

#18 John Kocijanski

John Kocijanski

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2005 - 09:24 PM

I just got in from a session with my new binos. The sky was very hazy except for overhead. I mounted the Ultimas on my Bogen 3026 tripod using my Microstar. I picked up an L adapter for the binos. I can use my PST mounting plate flipped upside down to mount the L adapter. The Microstar works nicely as a panning plateform for the binos. I was able to pick up M13, M11, M22, M8, M27, and M39. I also split Albireo.

#19 John Kocijanski

John Kocijanski

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:42 PM

I gave the Ultimas a go today on a group of Wood Ducks in a local pond. The view was clear and sharp with nice detail. They were about 40 yards away from me.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics