•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Fujinon roofies

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:55 PM

Greetings,

I'd like your thoughts on Fujinon roof prism binos, can't find any reviews. I was looking at the 10x60 12x60 15x60 models on the net. We all know Fuji makes some of the best porro's. Maybe someone here owns or has had a chance to look at these rare birds.

Thanks,

Mike Dwyer
West Grove PA

#2 lighttrap

lighttrap

Soyuz

Posted 02 August 2005 - 04:11 PM

Mike,
1st off, welcome to CN.
I've always held Fujinon binos in very high regard. However, after getting a set of their BFL 8x42 porros, and finding them to be identical to some lesser cost binos marketed under another brand, and finding out that Fujinon doesn't even make the BFLs in house, I'm a little more leery of any of their newer offerings. The Fujinon FMT-SX series are legendary. They are the industry standards in very tough, all weather, individual focus binos. And the Fujinon EBC coatings are worthy of the praise given them. But, sadly, much like the other bino brands, the name Fujinon itself is no longer a guarantee of quality optics. I'd highly encourage you to actually try the Fujinon roofs in person if you possibly can. I know nothing at all of them.

#3 John R

John R

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:04 PM

I had a pair of the 15x60's for a short time. I had high hopes for them both for day and night use. They were OK in daylight but not that great at night. Poor edge peformance. I also asked the opinion of one of the major sources of binoculars and spotting scopes on the web, who carried the Fujinon 15x60, their opinion and they actually suggested I stay away from them for astonomy use. I sold them on ebay about 5 months after I got them. Fujinon porros are much better for astonomy use.

#4 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 03 August 2005 - 01:55 AM

Hello all,

I agree with all of the obove. I purchased a FUJI 7x50 FMT-SX about, oh, in 1986 or later. They are still perfect and well cared for, and they serve as my de-facto standard by which to compare all others.

Only the coated WWII B&L 7x50's can even come close; but that's the point--come close. Of course, if you enjoy tunnel vision, go for the B&L.

Roof style prisims are not PORRO, to my knowledge.

Take care and good luck.

Regards,

Dave.

#5 Pinewood

Pinewood

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:27 AM

There were several B&L 7x50 binoculars during WWII. The most common would be the Mark 28 Model 0. There was also a wide angle model the Mark 41. To which are you referring?

Clear skies,
Arthur

#6 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Gemini

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:10 AM

I have a pair of 10x60hb's love them for day light (prefer over 10x50's), for night they are only fair. They are a huge bino though, keep that in mind...I would take a pair of 10x50's over them for astro. They are far superior to the Pentax roofies. I bought a 9x63 dcf pentax used, and the Fuji is a much much much better glass.

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2005 - 12:32 AM

Lighttrap:

What's the alternative brand for the Fujinon BFL series?

I just bought a pair of 8x42 BFL, myself. I like the binoculars quite a bit. They were only $250, though, so I assumed they were Chinese.

Nevertheless, they are a good binocular. They're very sharp in the center, and stay sharp a good distance away. They have excellent color delivery and contrast, too, I think. I thought they were a step up from the Nikon/Pentax in that size.

#8 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 August 2005 - 12:46 AM

Hi Pinewood,

I was definitely referring to the B&L MARK-41. Most of the other B&L binos are rather standard 7* to 7.15* FOV.

And then there was the SARD 6x42 UWA. I've never had the option to view thru either. Probably never will.

"A Guide to Handheld Military Binoculars of......" by Dr. Stephen Rohan is an excellent source of info. Few typos, but some, so one must read carefully and correct accordingly. I think I paid about $93 on Amazon.com--missed my bid on eBay.

My point was this: Most WWII 7x50"s were a fairly standard 7*+ FOV, but, tack sharp to the edges. Later models were coated with the standard MgFL of the time.

Regards,

Dave.

#9 lighttrap

lighttrap

Soyuz

Posted 04 August 2005 - 07:17 AM

Lighttrap:

What's the alternative brand for the Fujinon BFL series?

I just bought a pair of 8x42 BFL, myself. I like the binoculars quite a bit. They were only $250, though, so I assumed they were Chinese.

Your Fujinon BFLs should indicate "Japan" on top of the hinge cap. At least mine do. I can't prove it, but I've long suspected that whoever makes those for Fujinon, also makes the Cabela's Pine Ridge porros. I own both the Fujinon BFL 8x42 and the Cabela's Pine Ridge Porro 8x42. I believe the Fujinon BFLs have slightly better coatings, but aside from that, the binoculars are so similar that if you rubbed off the brand names, it'd be tough to tell them apart. Both are made in Japan.

I can't remember if I'm at liberty to say who told me that Fujinon doesn't actually make the BFLs, but suffice it to say that I have it on enough authority that I have no reason to doubt it. I used to think Fujinon might've made the Pine Ridge Porros for Cabelas (and some others that use alternative branding), but now I believe it's a third Japanese mfr. that actually makes many, many of the Japanese porros that get variously rebranded. Note: some of these may be made to slightly different specs, so just because 2 binos look very, very similar doesn't mean they'll perform identically. Also note, that I have no idea who makes the roof prism binos that get the Cabela's "Pine Ridge" brand, nor do I know who makes the Fujinon roof prism binos. Fujinon might. Or they might not. Unknown.

Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics