•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A really F-U-N eyepiece! My new 28mm RKE!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
339 replies to this topic

#326 RobDob

RobDob

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

Beautiful, just beautiful!

#327 izar187

izar187

Aurora

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:14 AM

I really enjoy my RKEs 28mm, fantastic contrast and light transmittion, better than GSO Plossl 32mm....

I too feel that my 28 RKE's outperform my GSO 32mm Plossl's. I was interested to hear that you feel they also do better than the ES 24mm. I almost bought a pair of either 24 pans or ES 24's, (I binoview) but I got a pair of Edmunds and I held off on my purchase. I am concerned (in particular with the 24 pans) that I would spend what is to me a great deal of money only to find out that the "crispness" of my RKE's was better than the pans.

I am sensing that my lowly RKE's may have been the better choice. (Which is a good thing, because I blew my panoptic fund on a microscope, which has gotten me through a very cloudy New England winter!)

Peter T.

I believe the binoviewer makes a difference here.
For my mono viewing circumstances, in faster newts, I much prefer my 32mm GSO to my 28mm RKE.
When out under darkness, I find them equal on the deep sky on axis, with noticeably less off axis astigmatism in the 4 element plossl vs the 3 element RKE.
So sharper stars, over a larger patch of sky with the plossl. Making small fuzzy's easier to find.

#328 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:16 AM

I really enjoy my RKEs 28mm, fantastic contrast and light transmittion, better than GSO Plossl 32mm....

I too feel that my 28 RKE's outperform my GSO 32mm Plossl's. I was interested to hear that you feel they also do better than the ES 24mm. I almost bought a pair of either 24 pans or ES 24's, (I binoview) but I got a pair of Edmunds and I held off on my purchase. I am concerned (in particular with the 24 pans) that I would spend what is to me a great deal of money only to find out that the "crispness" of my RKE's was better than the pans.

I am sensing that my lowly RKE's may have been the better choice. (Which is a good thing, because I blew my panoptic fund on a microscope, which has gotten me through a very cloudy New England winter!)

Peter T.

I believe the binoviewer makes a difference here.
For my mono viewing circumstances, in faster newts, I much prefer my 32mm GSO to my 28mm RKE.
When out under darkness, I find them equal on the deep sky on axis, with noticeably less off axis astigmatism in the 4 element plossl vs the 3 element RKE.
So sharper stars, over a larger patch of sky with the plossl. Making small fuzzy's easier to find.

In my test in binoviewer, my RKEs 28mm CLEARLY beats GSO 32mm plossls in every vay!

#329 dickie

dickie

Explorer 1

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

Bought a used Edmunds reflector setup a few years ago that came with a pair of RKE 28mms. I've been back in astronomy for six years and have gone through all the eyepieces out there from Pentax on down, currently using Antares Elite, Celestron Ultimas and Tuthills and Meade 3000 9.5 and 16mms. The other night I rummaged through the closet and grabbed the 28s,one unused in the original box and one left in the focuser by the previous owner and headed to the beach for Panstarrs. I pulled the Antares Elite 25mm (one of my favorite eyepieces) out of the diagonal and popped in the RKE 28mm,Two minutes later I stepped away from the scope and said " so this is what all you guys have been talking about!" could not believe the crisp contrast and sharpness along with the famous "porthole effect" of this eyepiece WOW! Well in and out went my others single,barlowed and stack barlowed,then onto Jupiter and some DSOS' and still could not believe the image put up by both 28s. I even told my Antares,"what are you letting this guy push you around for?". Finally left the RKE 28 in and many people came over to look at the comet and all were awed with the views. I should have listened to all of you earlier. All were used in a Burgess 127 f/8, wished I had broken them out in my now gone f/5.9 Megrez. This is truly a fun and unique viewing experience! Soon to be here summer constellations and with these in a 12 inch dob it should be a real trip into the stars. It was well worth the wait!

#330 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

Bought a used Edmunds reflector setup a few years ago that came with a pair of RKE 28mms. I've been back in astronomy for six years and have gone through all the eyepieces out there from Pentax on down, currently using Antares Elite, Celestron Ultimas and Tuthills and Meade 3000 9.5 and 16mms. The other night I rummaged through the closet and grabbed the 28s,one unused in the original box and one left in the focuser by the previous owner and headed to the beach for Panstarrs. I pulled the Antares Elite 25mm (one of my favorite eyepieces) out of the diagonal and popped in the RKE 28mm,Two minutes later I stepped away from the scope and said " so this is what all you guys have been talking about!" could not believe the crisp contrast and sharpness along with the famous "porthole effect" of this eyepiece WOW! Well in and out went my others single,barlowed and stack barlowed,then onto Jupiter and some DSOS' and still could not believe the image put up by both 28s. I even told my Antares,"what are you letting this guy push you around for?". Finally left the RKE 28 in and many people came over to look at the comet and all were awed with the views. I should have listened to all of you earlier. All were used in a Burgess 127 f/8, wished I had broken them out in my now gone f/5.9 Megrez. This is truly a fun and unique viewing experience! Soon to be here summer constellations and with these in a 12 inch dob it should be a real trip into the stars. It was well worth the wait!

Yes, that is what I am talking about, some people realize all that you mentioned prior, some later, and some make negative judge at start without comparing them directly with some epcs simmilar FL!

Welcome to RKE club :smirk:

#331 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

I just picked up a 28mm RKE. The eyepiece is quite fascinating. First let me say that in my Vixen 140 the 28mm RKE is not all that great at its native FL - which gives 28x. Part of the mystique of the 28mm RKE is the "floating" effect and I think this in part results from the fact that the eyepiece essentially self-vignettes. It is not possible to see the field stop w/o blackouts. For me it was quite obvious that the edge of the field is very sloppy - stars are sharp but the light is sloppy - due to this self-vignetting.

That said - with 2x and 3x ES barlows(56x and 84x respectively) it is quite spectacular. The self-vignetting cleans up nicely with the ES Telecentric barlows and what is quite fascinating to me is that despite the 45 deg AFOV, the 28mm RKE is extremely immersive and feels like a much larger AFOV.

I had some really nice views of M35,M36,M37,M38,M81/82, and M46 and a few double stars. The RKE excels with large open clusters but did a really good job with fainter nebulous clusters such as NGC 2158.

It does not snap to focus as well as some eyepieces, but once you find sharp focus it is quite a treat.

So I really like the 28mm RKE and look forward to more opportunities to use it - especially with the summer Milky Way. But I'll be using it mostly with the 2x and 3x ES barlows.

#332 DNTash

DNTash

Apollo

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:49 AM

Enough contemplation. The fact alone that there are almost 12,000 views on this thread, regarding this F-U-N EP, is enough said for me to simply order one. To just do it. I just did.

#333 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:02 AM

Enough contemplation. The fact alone that there are almost 12,000 posts on this thread, regarding this F-U-N EP, is enough said for me to simply order one. To just do it. I just did.

Congrats, you will be happy for sure!

#334 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

For me it was quite obvious that the edge of the field is very sloppy - stars are sharp but the light is sloppy

Would you please clarify this?

#335 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• In Memoriam

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

Excellent report! Dr. Rank himself would no doubt be very pleased to read it... Edmund RKE's :cool:

Fred

#336 dickie

dickie

Explorer 1

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

Dr. Rank would also probably give me a good kick in the kiester for letting the 28s sit in the closet for so long without giving them a try.I have often become immersed in the latest and greatest highly touted eyepiece, be it new or an older,now newly appreciated,sleeper that would lead these aged eyes on the path to personal optical heaven,a road too often littered with ''buy then sell'' potholes.Still amazingly surprised that such good views could come from a fairly inexpensive and what some judge to be industrial looking eyepiece.A real prince dressed as a pauper.Sometimes ''Plain Jane'' is the real keeper.

#337 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• In Memoriam

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:11 PM

From speaking to folks who knew him, yes; I think that that could have been a distinct possibility! :grin:

If it came down to it, and one had to settle on a single set of eyepieces for the rest of one's life, there are far worse choices than the RKE line, with all their limitations (f.o.v. restrictions and close eye relief in the shorter f.l.'s).

The current over-vast selection of various and sundry eyepieces brings to mind a famous quote, originally referring to a gun: "Beware the man with one (set of eyepieces); he probably knows how to use them". ;)

#338 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:44 AM

For me it was quite obvious that the edge of the field is very sloppy - stars are sharp but the light is sloppy

Would you please clarify this?

What I think is going on is that it is impossible to see the field stop without bringing your eye close enough to cause blackouts. So you have to hold your eye back from the eyepiece a bit farther which causes some vignetting of the field and that always makes the edges look sloppy. If I rotate my head/eye around the exit pupil to catch the field stop then the stars are sharp near the edge.

I don't know how else to explain it. I like the eyepiece a lot with a telecentric barlow. For some reason that seems to clean all this up. Unbarlowed I really don't care for it all that much.

Dave

#339 JimV

JimV

Viking 1

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:27 AM

I have owned the older "blackie" 28mm RKE version, and the red band version.

I would say red band is superior in all aspects.

Blackies have bright powder blue coatings that can ghost at certain angles on bright stars.

Don't see that in red bands.

There is blue fringing on the moon near edge of field on blackies.

Red bands have no chromatic aberration.

Floating effect is slightly better on red band because of lens construction.

Red band is a simple metal tube with a spacer between lenses.

Blackie has more complicated internal threading and slightly smaller doublet lens.

I have also owned the 1 1/8" surplus version.  It seemed very junky in construction.

There are no filter threads.  I didn't know it was an RKE at the time.  I just noted

that it had a weird floating effect.  I gave it to my nephew with a telescope.

#340 Meadeball

Meadeball

Soyuz

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:49 AM

My brother and I bought a 28mm RKE in 1980 when we were both in high school and shared a Criterion RV-6. Everything said about the magic of this EP is true. Unfortunately, when my brother and I left home to start our careers, get married, etc., he wound up with the RKE. I think he still has it. I want one again bad, but I keep putting it off. I see the $85 price tag and remember that we paid $25 for it from Edmunds back in 1980. Of course, a loaf of bread was 49 cents back then too ... and Cokes were a quarter ... :sigh:

Lookie, Jim, you just resurrected a thread that's been sleeping for 2-1/2 years!

Edited by Meadeball, 26 August 2015 - 03:51 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics