•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A really F-U-N eyepiece! My new 28mm RKE!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
339 replies to this topic

#26 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

I too wonder if this 'floating image' sensation happens when binoviewing 2 RKEs?

It does happen using two in my binocular telescope. It is not as pronounced as using a single, but it definitely is still there. They are pretty comfortable in bino mode. Still have the same eye placement requirements, but for those of us that use them frequently, it is not much different than having eye placement requirements of a Televue Radian or other long eye relief eyepieces. My 34mm SWA can do similar weird stuff if I don't keep my eye sufficiently away from the eye lens.

I frequently Barlow these which puts my eye relief even further out unless I use my TeleXtender or powermate.

The 45 degree AFOV appears much wider to me with the floating effect. It's as if the view is almost ready to spill over the edge of the eyepiece - like a cup of water filled to the very top just at the point before overflowing.

#27 enklined

enklined

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

Gah! I just picked up the 24mm ES 82 EP (which I love, btw), but am now seeing the issue people talk about...always wanting new EPs!

This thread makes me want to pick up the 28mm RKE to check it out. Does anyone have experience with both the 24mm ES 82 and the 28mm RKE? Specifically, what benefit will I see with the 28mm RKE over the 24mm ES 82? If it gives that pop image where the ES doesn't, it might be worth the $63!

#28 iceblaze

iceblaze

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

I purchased an Astroscan off eBay last week and I was worried that it was going to be a newer version that came with Plossl's. When it arrived I was so happy to see the classic "Edmund Scientific" sticker on the side of the Astroscan, and even more excited to see a 28mm RKE sitting in the focuser! :jump:

I can't wait to try this little guy out!

-James

Attached Thumbnails

• 5070575-1-IMG_0201.JPG

#29 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

I also enjoy the effect that my 28mm RKE produces.

Dave Mitsky

#30 Paraclete

Paraclete

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

It's as if the view is almost ready to spill over the edge of the eyepiece - like a cup of water filled to the very top just at the point before overflowing.

That is a beautiful description. Thanks Vondragonnoggin!

#31 Ira

Ira

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

Sold out for now. :(

/Ira

#32 ErnieM

ErnieM

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:36 PM

Dumb questions...On Edmund Optics site they advertise the 28RKE as mounted and unmounted.What does this mean.Also can I assume that the 28mm plossl that is on the Edmund Scientific site is not an RKE? :question:

#33 iceblaze

iceblaze

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:39 PM

I think the unmounted means exactly how they explained it:

Unmounted RKE Eyepieces include the eye Lens, field Lens, and black anodized spacer between the 2 lenses. Unmounted configurations are designed to provide OEMs with the components required to integrate these eyepieces into customer-designed applications.

So they give pretty much everything but the barrel so OEM's can put their own brand on it.

Cheers,

-James

#34 enklined

enklined

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:09 PM

Does anyone have experience with both the 24mm ES 82 and the 28mm RKE? Specifically, what benefit will I see with the 28mm RKE over the 24mm ES 82? If it gives that pop image where the ES doesn't, it might be worth the $63!

#35 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:23 AM

If you're as intrigued by this thread as I am, it's worth the $63.
I think I'll be ordering one ASAP. Probably tomorrow (a back order will be OK.)

#36 Jason B

Jason B

Fox Park Observatory

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:49 AM

Another one that comes close to the 28mm RKE in terms of the "floating affect" is the 28mm Meade RG Ortho. You don't see many of them around though...

A buddy of mine as the predecessor to the 28mm RKE that has the focal length in inches (1 1/8") engraved on the side. Every time we look through it I tell him I gotta find me one of these!

#37 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

I'm just stunned! Or maybe pining for the fjords!

• Administrators

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

A buddy of mine as the predecessor to the 28mm RKE that has the focal length in inches (1 1/8") engraved on the side. Every time we look through it I tell him I gotta find me one of these!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Jaimo!

#38 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:14 AM

the 1 1/8 is the really old model. I have the old model (Edmund scientific) and the newer model (Edmund Optics).

Attached Thumbnails

• 5073378-DSCN0347.jpg

#39 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:16 AM

The beautiful eye lenses

Attached Thumbnails

• 5073382-DSCN0348.jpg

#40 TMK

TMK

Soyuz

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:21 AM

I've been looking for a used one for awhile now. It's amazing as if you don't bid on it within an hour you have zero chance of getting one.

#41 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Vendors

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:29 AM

This is a great eyepiece as well. It is actually not a reverse Kellner design but a Symmetrical Plossl. It also has no field stop so the barrel is the field stop making it appear a little fuzzy at the ends but also getting you about another 10 degrees of AFOV. I actually like this better than the RKE. I got mine when I was a kid, on one of my many visits to the Edmunds show room in Barrington, NJ. That place was a wonderland of fun stuff inside...and they had a surplus room to that was fantastic to rummage through the bins. Much more fun than running through web pages like today.

#42 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

I'm just stunned! Or maybe pining for the fjords!

• Administrators

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

So Bill, what you're telling me is, it's a Plössl. I guess I gotta scrape up $63... :roflmao:

Jaimo!

#43 dscarpa

dscarpa

Skylab

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

Ok I'll bite! Backordred works for me given I just spent $500 for a Unistar and $135 for a observing chair. I love the infinity pool about to brim over effect that I get my 13 Ethos. Sounds like the 28 RKE has something similar going on. It also slots in nicely between my 24 Pan and 31 Hyperion Aspheric. David

#44 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• In Memoriam

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

(snip)I got mine when I was a kid, on one of my many visits to the Edmunds show room in Barrington, NJ. That place was a wonderland of fun stuff inside...and they had a surplus room to that was fantastic to rummage through the bins. Much more fun than running through web pages like today.

Have you had a look at the Wikipedia page on ES, Bill? There is a small photo of the inside of the surplus room here.

I well remember Edmund's retail store, even as a child... as my father was both a scientist and an engineer, making the pilgrimage there was de rigeur on any road trip whose route passed even remotely near it. Do you recall the big Japanese periscope, and the space suit? How about the freeze-dried ice cream (Just Like The Astronauts Eat!)? Or the blacked-out hall of mirrors and UV posters, lasers and such, that they had back in the early 1970's?

All that was fun, but the surplus optics and other strange mechanical/optical gear was the best, along with the telescope display.

Years later, my love and I stopped there while on our honeymoon, and she was totally into it... I seem to recall her buying a pair of binoculars and the aforemention freeze-dried ice cream!

Please pardon the drift, but I geek out when I remember all this... the whole concept of Edmund Scientific as a purveyor of science to the masses - what a wonderful company.

The 28mm RKE has both a great pedigree and and a great history... that they are still made is a testament to Dr. Rank's abilities as an optical designer.

#45 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

I still have a box of lenses in little brown envelopes that I bought from Edmund back in the early '70s. Back then I made a telecope out of some of the lenses and some cardboard tubes.

My first "real" telescope was an Edmund 4.25" f/10 spherical-mirror reflector. That was my introduction to astronomy. The images of Jupiter, Mars and Saturn were very nice through that scope.

Mike

#46 iceblaze

iceblaze

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

Someone on AM is selling a classic "Edmund Scientific" 28mm RKE in good condition for $42 shipped..

-James

#47 TMK

TMK

Soyuz

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

Someone on AM is selling a classic "Edmund Scientific" 28mm RKE in good condition for $42 shipped..

-James

Forget it. I tried for it yesterday morning and it was already sold. The 28mm doesn't stay on the market for long. I've whiffed three times and I was within a few hours of each posting. :(

#48 George Methvin

George Methvin

Vanguard

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

:lol: I was all set to order one then I saw the shipping... there is no way it cost $13.90 to ship this one little eyepeice maby $6.00. I did not just fall off the truck. Ok so now this eyepeice cost around $76.00 now I am not having so much fun :bawling: Do I hear the sound of being over charge on shipping. Might be a really fun eyepeice but I will pass on this deal for now. All funing aside I did own one of these eyepeices years ago and it was a fun eyepeice to use wish I still had it,are we still having fun :)

#49 Paraclete

Paraclete

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:46 PM

...are we still having fun :)

Yes indeed! This has been a very fun thread to read through. :)

Do I hear the sound of being over charge on shipping.

I think a lot of people will agree with you, and that includes me too.

There is another thread regarding the 28RKE in the binoviewers forum. There are some legitimate concerns from some VERY experienced observers. This eyepiece isn't for everyone. (But it definitely is for me!)

#50 dscarpa

dscarpa

Skylab

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

Given that the Unistar I ordered shipped from Mass. to Ca. for $20 $13.90 does seem a tad bit steep for one eyepiece. Even so it sounds like it's worth it. I think they would have been better off charging $70 with $6 to ship. I have a feeling that a fair number of people will resent being over charged on shipping and not get one. That was my first reaction. David

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics