•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Obie 15x70s and eyeglasses??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:45 AM

I'm close to ordering a pair of Oberwerk 15x70 as my first
entry into big-bino land! I see that eye relief is 16mm.
I wear eyeglasses and am concerned that this may be a bit tight for me.
Do any owners use these with glasses?
Any comments?

Thanks,
Rob

#2 lakedawgs

lakedawgs

Messenger

Posted 04 August 2005 - 11:40 AM

I just got my 15x70 Obies and wear glasses.
I have no problem with it if I fold down the rubber eye cups, but that might depend on your specific glasses.
If you do not have astigmatism, you should be able to take the glasses off for viewing. I am fortunate that I can also do this.
Good luck,
Lakedawgs

#3 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2005 - 02:08 PM

Well, I went ahead and ordered a pair of the 15x70s.
I'll post my impressions.
Thanks all,
Rob

#4 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:38 PM

I use ALL my binoculars while wearing my glasses. I find that I need a minimum of about 15mm in order to see the full field of view. I think IIRC, when looking straight ahead I'm missing a few percent of the filed in the 15x70s. but when I look off axis towards the edges, I can see the filed stop.

I find binoculars with 20mm to 22mm of eye relief difficult to use because it requires me to use my thumbs up against my glasses to hold the binocular a few mm away from my glasses.

edz

#5 Swedpat

Swedpat

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 August 2005 - 08:10 PM

EdZ,

My experience is that in the most cases it needs at least 16-17(stated) mm ER to see the entire FOV with my eyeglasses on. My Oberwerk 11x70 with 23mm ER is too long even with eyeglasses, and it's impossible to get an optimal distance with the rubber eyecups. Other people wearing eyeglasses who tried my 11x70 asked why the image became partly blackened.

According to my experiences I doubt about to get the 15x70 because the most binoculars I tried with less than 17mm ER didn't work well for eyeglasses. The Nikon Action Extreme with stated 17mm ER had too short ER for me. Do you have any understanding about the difference in practice between Nikon AE and Oberwerk 15x70?

Patric

#6 Brian B.

Brian B.

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 August 2005 - 04:46 AM

I wear glasses and find that my Obie 15x70s actually have too much eye relief, I guess, because sometimes I get blackout unless I pull back a little. But it's a problem I can handle! It might also have something to do with the new glasses - the wife convinced me to replace my over-sized 1990-style rims with some newer and narrower frames, and they sit much closer to the eyes. And as an added bonus, my wife's not embarassed to take me around with her now. Or maybe that was the main idea.... :question:

Brian B.

#7 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 05 August 2005 - 06:20 AM

Patric,

The Nikon AE (for Me) have plenty of eye relief). You can read about them in this article which includes a few other popular binoculars.

The Oberwerk 15x70 are right at the limit for me to see the entire filed of view. You can read about them in this 4-way comparison article which also includes the Fujinon 16x70 and a few others.

edz

#8 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

Posted 05 August 2005 - 10:10 AM

Hi Ed,

I'd be interested in knowing your experience with the Burgess 20X80LW and eyeglasses the next time you have them out. The listed ER of the 80mm LW is 13mm but I can just see the full FOV with my -3.75 glasses on. I recall another forum member who purchased the Oberwerk 80mm LW recently reported the same.

I don't wear glasses to observe but I would like to be sure when I recommend the LW to others who do....

Erik D

#9 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 05 August 2005 - 10:43 AM

I measured the Burgess LW 20x80 as having 15mm total with 12mm availble when the eyegaurd is folded down. I lose a little bit around the edges in the view, maybe 5-10% total.

edz

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics