•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Another pier design to critique

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
329 replies to this topic

#326 GrassyPond

GrassyPond

Messenger

• -----

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for the response Jeff. How high is your base ring from the floor? High high is your first floor "ceiling"? I guess that I am trying to figure the whole step thing.
Thanks

#327 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:56 PM

Joe --

Ceiling height is 80"; floor thickness is 8"; bottom of base ring is 28" above floor (116" from ground).

At my height (6'1"), I don't think I want to lower the ceiling by more than 2". So I'd probably raise the wall height by around 6", giving me a 8" higher wall above the floor. (Any more than that and I think you'd need something taller than a small 3-step ladder to open/close the shutter. If you're mechanizing the shutter, then I might go another 2" to 4" higher.)

-- Jeff.

#328 GrassyPond

GrassyPond

Messenger

• -----

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:26 PM

Thanks Jeff
My dome is mechanized. My current plan is to use a 36" wall to support the base ring. I am tempted to go to a 42" wall. I am planning to have my ceilings at 84" to give plenty of head room. I plan to use the lower floor as my warm room/controll room. I am worried about the heat rising fro the lower floor and creating a moisture problem similar to your moisture problem at the beginning although a cold night here is 32 degrees. I am planning a 16" concrete filled chimney linner to 6" inches below the to deck where I will mount a PierTech pier...
Thanks for your help! This thread has been great to help in my planning.

#329 slitherjef

slitherjef

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:52 AM

WOW. Just wow. A truly impressive and inspiring trip you led us through.

Thanks for the read, Jeff

#330 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:18 PM

Thanks Allan.

I've actually got another small update to post (hooks on pier for handbox and thermostat for electric pants/socks), but I keep forgetting to take pictures.

-- Jeff.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics