•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I like binoculars

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 clw54

clw54

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2005 - 10:12 PM

Thought I'd post after lurking a few weeks. This is a good forum. I've learned a lot about binoculars just reading the many posts here. There is a lot of expertise.

I have four pair that are usable.

Pentax PCF III 12X50

Orion MiniGiant 8X56

Old 7X50 Bushnells from a department store. I like them actually.

Fujinon FMTR-SX 7X50

Plus, I have a couple old pair that have been in the family for years. One is terribly out of collimation and says Highest on it.

The other is the household pair my father used. It's out in the garage and I'm too lazy to go get it right now. Just discovered it the other day.

#2 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:22 AM

Very nice collection!

Rich

#3 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:34 AM

Welcome aboard clw54! You might want to try a different alias. At Penn State, staff, faculty, and students all have computer-generated IDs that contain three initials and a number. Are you a student? Three of your binoculars have 7mm exit pupils so I'm guessing you are young. Do you use your binoculars exclusively for astronomy? If so, which is your favorite?

You might want to weigh in (pun intended :-) on the question about the Fuji 7x50 on the "Asking an expert" thread. Having a 7X50 Fuji makes you an "expert."

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 05 August 2005 - 07:03 AM

Greetings and welcome to CN! That's a decent collection you have showing. Especially the Fujinon...which is getting some lip service in the thread Brock mentioned.

Any plans for moving up to bigger bins?

#5 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:28 PM

Welcome aboard clw54! You might want to try a different alias. At Penn State, staff, faculty, and students all have computer-generated IDs that contain three initials and a number.

But, I'll bet that the Alphas are initials and 54 was his age when getting the internet account.

Cheers,

Bill

#6 Swedpat

Swedpat

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 August 2005 - 05:32 PM

Welcome clw54!

If you like binoculars you have went to the right place, you will really not be alone here in this nice interest!

Regards, Patric

#7 clw54

clw54

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2005 - 07:36 PM

Welcome aboard clw54! You might want to try a different alias. At Penn State, staff, faculty, and students all have computer-generated IDs that contain three initials and a number.

But, I'll bet that the Alphas are initials and 54 was his age when getting the internet account.

Cheers,

Bill

Initials and year of birth.

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 05 August 2005 - 07:48 PM

Well Bill, I guess you nailed that one. Was that knowledge or wisdom?

#9 pcad

pcad

Vanguard

Posted 05 August 2005 - 07:55 PM

clw54

Not much differance if 54 is a persons age or the year of his birth. But if I had to pick one, I'd rather be born in '54 than '51. Glad to have you aboard CN.

Peter

#10 clw54

clw54

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2005 - 12:50 PM

Greetings and welcome to CN! That's a decent collection you have showing. Especially the Fujinon...which is getting some lip service in the thread Brock mentioned.

Any plans for moving up to bigger bins?

No, I don't plan on getting anything so big it needs a mount. I like the simplicity of just picking up binoculars and looking at stuff. They get used more that way.

#11 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 06 August 2005 - 01:16 PM

Well Bill, I guess you nailed that one. Was that knowledge or wisdom?

Anytime I have the opportunity, I will say "wisdom." The world is FULL of knowledge, but desparate for folks wise enough to know what to do with it.

Besides, I could be wrong. :o

Bill

#12 clw54

clw54

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2005 - 07:18 PM

Welcome aboard clw54! You might want to try a different alias. At Penn State, staff, faculty, and students all have computer-generated IDs that contain three initials and a number. Are you a student? Three of your binoculars have 7mm exit pupils so I'm guessing you are young. Do you use your binoculars exclusively for astronomy? If so, which is your favorite?

You might want to weigh in (pun intended :-) on the question about the Fuji 7x50 on the "Asking an expert" thread. Having a 7X50 Fuji makes you an "expert."

First I want to thank everybody for the welcome.

The Fujinons are clearer and show more contrast and reveal what's in shadows better than any of the others. For example, looking at a tree will show leaves more clearly. At night it will reveal the body of an airplane when others won't. Plus it looks cool.

But it's heavy and the individual eyepiece focus makes it difficult to casually look around. My pair doesn't have the best edge performance either. If I focus on a star in the center of the field, stars above it are not focused precisely. Stars below it are okay nearly to the edge. It's this way in both barrels, but it's worse in the right. As an experiment, I tried turning it upside down and found the problem was toward the bottom, and worse on the left side. Maybe I expect too much from them. It isn't something I'd notice without checking for it because I center whatever I'm looking at.

So there are pros and cons to Fujinons, in my opinion. I'd like to find something lighter with center focus that gives the same views. I'm going to have to check out the high end stuff pretty soon, I think.

#13 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 08 August 2005 - 12:39 AM

clw 54 ,

First ,

A very warm welcome to the CN binocular discussion group.

Following a ten day absence from a PC , I had ,as usual and as expected , much interesting reading to catch up with here.

Your thread title appealed to me , because " I LIKE BINOCULARS " is a statement which used to apply to me , until I discovered that market places and boot sales are infested with undesireable items of toys or junk ( call it what you will ) which actually LOOK like REAL binoculars even to the trained eye -- until they are offered up to those trained eyes for 5 seconds.

Of course , one consequence of " liking binoculars " can be the compulsion to always TRY a model or specimen never before see , and one of the pitfalls of doing that in front of the stall holder is that he or she always them think that you are genuinely interested in BUYING the item.

Seldom do these people seem to react amiably once informed that I am just checking to see how BAD they are :-)

clw , your first post made no mention of the fact that you are " on the look -out " for a high quality centre -focus binocular for ALL -ROUND use ( rather than for astronomy exclusively).

As you probably know , there are many very fine " top - end " roof prism models available for at least twice , if not three times the price of your Fujinon FMT SX , but I see no reason to go for a top -end ROOF prism model unless you are intending to use it for " hard" all - weather activities.

Nikon Superior E is a fine centre - focus model , with the 10 x 42 , or even 8 x 32 , probably safer bets to recommend to a stranger than the 12 x 50 for extended hand -held use.

Regards , Kenny

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics