•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Return policies

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 clw54

clw54

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2005 - 03:42 PM

A recent thread dealt with vendors' return policies. This is good, of course, but what happens to the returns. If you buy from a vendor with a good return policy, does that increase your chances of getting returned items when you order from them?

#2 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 06 August 2005 - 04:08 PM

A recent thread dealt with vendors' return policies. This is good, of course, but what happens to the returns. If you buy from a vendor with a good return policy, does that increase your chances of getting returned items when you order from them?

ABSOLUTELY! But, that is not NECESSARILY a bad thing.

A few days ago, we sold a great binocular to one of "A" type personalities who come in with the Cornell Review tucked under their arm and who can't make a decision about anything. We worked with gentleman for 2.5 hours.

The following day, he brought it back to trade for another. I looked through it--NO problems.

The following day, he called to say the new bino was doing the same thing.

Still trying to help, I told the fellow he could trade again, or get a full refund.

However, there is NOTHING wrong with the bino and it will be sold to someone who will happily use it the rest of their lives.

Retailers who want to stay in business, simply cannot condemn binos that have no problems simple because PEOPLE WITH PROBLEMS look for boogie men behind each rock, or expect everyone to be out to cheat them. We inspect the binos, here. If they are not worthy to go on the shelf, they don’t go on the shelf.

For doing so, we frequently take some heat. Some people believe that if a photon has ever touched one of the objectives, the bino should be sold as used. To those people I say, “get a life.” I reject more binos each year than some stores sell. But, in order to do so, I have to test them . . . photons and all.

Rant off.

Cheers,

Bill
:rant: :rant:

#3 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

Posted 06 August 2005 - 04:13 PM

Bill,

I'm a bit curious to hear more about your entertaining little story. Did the gentleman describe the fatal flaw in the binoculars you had sold him?

#4 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 August 2005 - 04:14 PM

Maybe. I think it's a question that needs to be asked to the dealer before placing an order. A good one will pay for the shipping back. I would think a dealer wouldn't want to send a returned bino to another customer only to incur more return shipping charges. If it was a new conditon bino that only needed a simple collimation that the previous customer didn't want to do, then I would't mind accepting it if it had been collimated and arrived that way. If it had lens flaws, scuffs or other less than new appearance problems, it should be offered as used or a blem.

#5 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 06 August 2005 - 04:26 PM

Bill,

I'm a bit curious to hear more about your entertaining little story. Did the gentleman describe the fatal flaw in the binoculars you had sold him?

It was a glare issue that was only a problem when he stood in one spot. Yet, if I went so far as to remind him that the world is a relatively large place and that he had other options for standing, I would have been rude.

Giving a "review" to some people is like handing a child a hand full of bullets and a hammer and telling him to go play in the street.

I need a rest . . . Can 'ya tell?

Cheers,

Bill

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 06 August 2005 - 04:51 PM

"Giving a "review" to some people is like handing a child a hand full of bullets and a hammer and telling him to go play in the street."

:question: :bow: :lol: :lol:

#7 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 06 August 2005 - 06:40 PM

"Giving a "review" to some people is like handing a child a hand full of bullets and a hammer and telling him to go play in the street."

Tell 'em, Bill! :waytogo:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics