•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tightening the "Alt" lock-knob on the Oberwerk 100

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2005 - 06:04 PM

Here's a question for a select audience. As I've mentioned numerous times here, I have the older model Oberwerk 45° 100mm binocular telescope with the special compact mount that preceded the arrival of the fork mount that now comes standard with the 45° binos. The mount I have has a locking knob that you twist to tighten when you have adjusted the binocular at the "alt" position you wish to view at. Over the past few months that knob has become less secure when tightened at high altitudes and no longer simply locks on as one approaches maximum altitude. I can fuss a bit to get it locked, but I wonder if there is any way to restore the locking knob to its original performance level when locked on without any trouble. Any suggestions? Thanks.

#2 Alby

Alby

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 August 2005 - 06:27 PM

Joad;

My suggestion is to ask Kevin B. at Oberwerk.
I hope it works out for you!

Cheers

Alby

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 August 2005 - 09:24 AM

Whew, I have no idea. Talking to Kevin would be a good idea.

#4 grbrown

grbrown

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 August 2005 - 06:42 AM

Joad,

We have the same mount and problem, OK until around 60 degrees elevation, then the bins just slowly 'relax' until at max elevation! I haven't found a way of stopping it yet.

Ours has a plastic knob that is difficult to get a good grip on, so I wonder if an alternative might fit?

Graham. :confused:

#5 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

• topic starter

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:18 AM

Joad,

We have the same mount and problem, OK until around 60 degrees elevation, then the bins just slowly 'relax' until at max elevation! I haven't found a way of stopping it yet.

Ours has a plastic knob that is difficult to get a good grip on, so I wonder if an alternative might fit?

Graham. :confused:

That's exactly it. The knob on my mount is very grip-able, though, and I tighten it like thunder, but there is still that "sag" you describe. I just noticed a large screw head in the middle of the knob, however, that I tightened as best I could but haven't tested yet. I've also sent an email to Kevin Busarow. I'll keep you posted on my progress with this.

#6 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

• topic starter

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:34 AM

Update. I tightened the large headed screw in the center of the alt. lock knob (it didn't feel loose to begin with, but a hard turn counter-clockwise appeared to have some effect) and it worked. Last night I was able to point near zenith again without the binocular slipping down. This morning, however, I received a nice email from Kevin Busarow that gave detailed instructions on how to adjust the alt. lock mechanism. I was going to simply paste his instructions in here, but have decided not to because my mount may not be identical to one purchased from a company other than Oberwerk and I would not want to be responsible for passing on instructions that are not appropriate to what others may own. The good news remains: from what I gather these mounts are built to be readjusted and tightened.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics