•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New 15x70 Oberwerks and new to big binos

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 lakedawgs

lakedawgs

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2005 - 06:39 PM

Hello,
I have just started to play with my new 15x70 Oberwerks binos.
I have a radio tower about 400-500 yards away. When I view the top of the antennae I cannot seem to get the binos aligned to show one view. Am I missing something, I have a good view through each side, the image, in my minds eye, sees two towers right next to each other.
Can I adjust this on these binos?
Thanks much,
Lakedawgs

#2 MaritimeSky

MaritimeSky

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 August 2005 - 07:14 PM

Sounds like you've got some divergence in your collimation. This is when the image in the right hand eyepiece seems to be to the right of the image in the left hand eyepiece. The human eyes do not diverge well, so this should, and can be easily corrected.

The Oberwerk 15x70 which you own provides access to the prism tilt screws which will allow you to achieve "conditional alignment". Our moderator EdZ has written an article here which will guide you through the process in an easy to understand manner.

Best of luck. Hope your images are looking better soon.

#3 lakedawgs

lakedawgs

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2005 - 07:47 PM

Thanks Jamie,
Great article. I see in one of the pics a pair of binos that look like my 15x70s. How exactly do I 'peel' up the rubber armor? Carefully from the edge I could lift it with a jewlers screwdriver, but I want to make sure this is correct.
I think I am going to play with these for a while and get a few nights in before I start trying to adjust.
Thanks,
Lakedawgs

#4 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 07 August 2005 - 08:20 PM

Great article. I see in one of the pics a pair of binos that look like my 15x70s. How exactly do I 'peel' up the rubber armor? Carefully from the edge I could lift it with a jewlers screwdriver, but I want to make sure this is correct.

Yes, you just slip the screwdriver under the rubber and gently pry it up. It will lie flat again when the screwdriver is removed. I've done this to mine many times as I tweak the alignment.

#5 nodaknewbie

nodaknewbie

Vostok 1

Posted 07 August 2005 - 10:11 PM

Hi,
Just curious, you mention two views on a tower 400-500 yards distant. How are they at star/planet/moon distance?
I have a large pair of binos that also seem to be out of sorts on "near" targets but work fine on astronomical distances.
Gary

#6 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:27 AM

The reason for using distant objects for collimation testing is to avoid parallax problems caused by the left tube being displaced from the right by a few inches. 400-500 yards should be plenty of distance to make these problems non-existent. However, I have had problems using objects around 50 yards away.

#7 lakedawgs

lakedawgs

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 08 August 2005 - 01:14 PM

Interesting comments about the parallax.
I am going to play with these for a while before I try to adjust.
We are packing/moving our house this week so I have not had much time to get out at night.
Thanks for the comments,
Lakedawgs

#8 Brian B.

Brian B.

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 08 August 2005 - 04:56 PM

You should also check to see if one of the objective barrels has jumped its threads. When I received my 15x70s back from Oberwerk after being repaired, I had the double-vision problem and it turned out to be from one of the barrels being "popped" out of its threads. You can tell by looking at the joint between the barrel and the prism housing - if there's a gap, and the gap is not uniform around the joint, that might be your problem. I was able to get the barrel back into the threads by applying a moderate amount of force to the objective end of the barrel, and it just 'popped' back into place. Not exactly a reassuring feeling, but it was what Oberwerk told me to do, and it worked.

Brian B.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics