•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Vernonscope 6" refractor

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2005 - 12:03 PM

Back in the 60's they used to advertise a 6" F/10 Vernonscope refractor.(name was Surveyor) I believe they sold for about $700 (way, way out of my price range at that time) I wonder if there is anyone here who ever owned or used one. I never saw any reviews or news about the performance of this model. :question:

#2 dougspeterson

dougspeterson

Apollo

Posted 08 August 2005 - 10:30 PM

I too have been interested in the history of this scope, there is a picture in Henry Paul's Telescopes for Skygazing. The mount looks like an Edmund or Jaegers. I asked Don Yeier about these scopes at the RTMC a few years ago and I believe he said they were made for institutional use.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2005 - 11:48 AM

No, at least for awhile they were advertised for sale to the general public. Since my first posting, I was able to find a giant postcard type ad mailed to me in 1963. The basic scope came with a plain GEM, tripod legs braced with a chain. The mount had a blue, marbleized finish and scope came with a 54 mm finder and 3 Brandon Orthos. Actually, the picture shows a rather attractive scope which, at a reasonable price, could well be sold successfully today. (assuming good optics) :o

#4 dougspeterson

dougspeterson

Apollo

Posted 10 August 2005 - 01:22 AM

I believe they were F10, it certainly was an impressive telescope. I recollect Don saying they had originally built one or more for a college under contract. However, it must have occured to them to tap the high end amateur market. I wonder how many were sold to amateurs? I have never seen one on the used market.

#5 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 19 August 2005 - 11:50 PM

There is a 6" f/15 designed and built by Chester Brandon in the 1950's still in use (and open to the public) at FOX OBSERVATORY near Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

Mr.Brandon, of course, later sold all of his designs for both scopes and eyepieces to Vernonscope.

It's been nearly thirty years since I last used this scope but I recall it being a wonderful performer (the first time I ever saw Sirius "B" was with this scope in the mid-70's).

This was, however, prior to my owning and becoming familiar with numerous fine refractors...including AP's, Takahashis, Alvan Clark's and TeleVues.
I wonder how I'd rate the old Brandon now?

I think a trip down to Ft. Lauderdale to find out is in order!

#6 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

Posted 20 August 2005 - 06:53 PM

I found an ad for the VERNONscope 6" f/10 Surveyor refractor in the December, 1964, issue of Sky & Telescope. It looks like a poster child for "undermounted telescopes" - a real shakemaster mount.

Clear skies, Alan

#7 Ralph Marantino

Ralph Marantino

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:48 PM

it used a Jaegersobjective

#8 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:34 PM

Don had at least one of these sitting in his shop for years. He still does, for all I know. I haven't been through Candor in a while. The scope certainly looked awesome to me when I was a kid.

#9 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:28 PM

Yup, I saw an ad in one of my '65 S&Ts. Undermounted, perhaps, but I wouldn't mind fighting with it. I'll make a call this weekend and see if the one in the shop is still there.

Keith

#10 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:43 PM

Update:

The 6" is gone from the Vernonscope shop. :bawling:

Keith

#11 rcg

rcg

Apollo

Posted 19 February 2006 - 04:17 PM

Drooling over 6" refractors again, deja vue anyone?

#12 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:24 AM

Drooling over 6" refractors again, deja vue anyone?

Yep!

However, I try hard to keep the feeling alive... :smirk:

Rob

Attached Thumbnails

• 835348-Picture_4743a.jpg

#13 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 February 2006 - 04:28 PM

Oh My!!!!!! :bigshock:

#14 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:37 PM

Please, sir, I want more...

Jess Tauber

#15 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:34 PM

Oh My!!!!!!

Here is a pic, without my dead beat self in the way.

Rob

Attached Thumbnails

• 836219-Picture_4741a.jpg

#16 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:44 PM

Please, sir, I want more...

I and my father built the green scope and the head-n-hydraulic pier.
I built the white 6"f/6.5 astrograph.
Imaging scope fer all you imaging folks.

Rob

Here's a second helping

Attached Thumbnails

• 836235-Picture_4740a.jpg

#17 Dave M

Dave M

In Memoriam

Posted 23 February 2006 - 02:06 AM

Wow! Those are both beauties Rob :waytogo:, love the green
color of the big refractor.

#18 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:59 AM

Wow! Those are both beauties Rob , love the green
color of the big refractor.

When building it, the decision to paint it green came when noticing all the other scopes on the field were either black or white.

It was thought that something was needed to make it different(Not to mention its size, and uniqueness).
Plus who wants to be like the other guy.

I followed the old CNC TMB feel with the smaller white 6".
The aluminum dew cap balanced it out. I think.

Thanks for posting.
If you're ever in my neck of the woods you're welcome at my EP.

Rob

#19 Ramon Miro

Ramon Miro

Vostok 1

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:21 PM

Hello. I recently picked one of these up from HandsOn Optics. Gary had it listed on his "fun list" as a "6-inch Brandon/Jaegers refractor." He said he bought it at the Stellafane swap meet together with an Edmund mount. He was selling the OTA alone. I've attached an image of it riding on my Atlas EQ-G. Although the paint finish has seen better days, the glass is in excellent shape. The pale purple Jaegers coatings are completely intact and there's not a scratch or blemish on the glass that I can detect. The OTA is very basic and utilitarian, without metal collars at the end of the tube or any indication of the make of the scope, except for the distinctive Jaegers focuser with red knobs. However, a comparison to the Vernonscope & Co. ad in the Dec 1964 issue of Sky & telescope confirms that it is the Surveyor. The black dew shield in the photo is a flexible astrozap-- not the original. I count three baffles. A very preliminary star test with a green filter shows good spherical correction and good collimation. My initial impression is that the color correction is comparable to a Meade AR-5. Can't compare it to a Chinese 6-inch as I haven't looked through any. I'm curious as to the history of this specific OTA. The fact that the previous owner had it on an Edmund mount suggests that it was sold to an individual rather than an institution, but not necessarily. If anyone out there is a previous owner of this OTA, I'd like to hear from you!
- Ramon

Attached Thumbnails

• 1257684-vernonscope-jaegerssmaller3.jpg

#20 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 18 November 2006 - 05:54 PM

Good scope, there, Ramon.

Keith

#21 Ramon Miro

Ramon Miro

Vostok 1

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:39 PM

Thanks, Keith. I'm very pleased with it thus far. I did some additional green filter testing tonight with the OTA fully cooled and it confirmed that the spherical correction is pretty good with no astigmatism. The color is there on bright stars, but my "soft touch " Sirius MV-20 filter controls it well enough. Can't wait to aim it at Saturn. :cool:

Here's a comparo of the scope as it looks on my patio and back in 1964: http://www.geocities.../Equipment.html

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics