•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Collimation or My Eyes?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Moffatt

Mike Moffatt

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2005 - 02:16 PM

I have a new pair of Celestron Skymaster 15x70s and don't know if the problem is the binos or my eyes. When I first start using them star images are great. Occassionally the stars will begin to split almost like I am deliberately clrossing my eyes, seperation can get quite large but varies with how hard I stare. Sometimes I can watch the star image drift further and further apart in real time. I have notice this happens either when I'm tired or been in the EPs a long time. Looking away at distant objects will fix this but once it starts it always comes back, and comes back faster each time.

When it is not happening it never happens, in other words, it does not appear that my eyes compensate unless it is an instant thing that happens so fast I can't tell it.

Is this a collimation thing? If so, can I adjust my Skymasters or do they have to go back. If it is a collimation thing how in the world do I collimate them if I can't see the problem.

Is this an eye thing? I am using the binos uncorrected but I do have an astigmatism in my left eye, about a 1 the Dr. said.

My observing partner noticed it Saturday night but it was 0300 in the AM and we both had been on the lake all day prior so were tired. I find it strange that he should see it as well and it makes me think binos. BUT, I don't see it all the time.

#2 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 08 August 2005 - 02:52 PM

< we both had been on the lake all day >

Mike ,

This sounds like a very unusual problem !

This " on the lake " you mention.

" lake " doesn't happen to be a pseudonym for anything illegal by any chance ? :-) :-)

Yes -- I'm only JOKING !

Regards , Kenny

#3 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 08 August 2005 - 10:20 PM

Astigmatism has nothing to do with collimation. In addition, an inordinate # of new 70+mm binos arrive out of collimation.

Cheers,

Bill

#4 Mike Moffatt

Mike Moffatt

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2005 - 10:27 PM

Kenny,

Working for Uncle Sam so party favors are pretty limited. :bawling:

Bill,

I am hearing that about collimation but don't understand why sometimes I see it and sometimes I don't.

Does anyone know if the Celestron Skymasters can be adjusted by the user and where the screws are?

#5 MaritimeSky

MaritimeSky

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:07 AM

The Celestron Skymasters are easily adjustable by accessing the prism tilt screws in the same location as on the Oberwerk 15x70's. They are easy to "conditionally align".

I'll refer you to an article by our moderator EdZ here on how to do just that.

I also own the Celestron 15x70's and have found this article immensely helpful in achieveing comfortable images, without having to resort to sending the binocular back to the vendor for collimation.

Hope this is helpful.

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:34 AM

It could be a blend of your eyes and a collimation issue. Because your vision seems to go from fine to less-than-fine is suspect, but that is not to say that your bins could be well collimated either.

I would check both out. When you're eyes are rested, try to check the collimation. Some types and amounts of mis-collimation is tolerable...and some aren't. The "best of" section has some good information about this.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics