•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

BVD is back online

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:48 PM

Better View Desired website appears to be back online. Good reading for those who may have missed it......

http://www.betterviewdesired.com

#2 Swedpat

Swedpat

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 August 2005 - 02:04 PM

Better View Desired is a great site. I'm just sorry about that they only review the top-end optics the most people don't afford to buy. Why they don't compare the low-priced porros to the mid-priced roofs? ( They are according to my understanding of the same optical class.)
Why they don't make serious reviews of Pentax PCF WP, Minolta Activa WP FP and Nikon AE? Those binos are actually of interesting value even for birders who can't afford Zeiss, Leica and Swarovskis. Some birders prefer porrobinos.

Patric

#3 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

Posted 09 August 2005 - 03:30 PM

I met Mr. Ingraham at the Cape May, NJ Birding show in Nov 2003. He had started working for Zeiss a few month before and told me he would not be involved with BVD any longer to avoid confilct of interest. I don't think the site has been updated for more than a year.

I have been doing casual birding for the past 2.5 years....most of the serious birders I've encountered during that time are carrying Leica, Swarovski or Zeiss Roof Prisms. I don't think many of them are interested in carrying a 2.5 lb 50mm porro prism bino for extended period.

Unlike astronomers who are constantly in serach of the next bigger, better optical gear birders seem to want to invest in one good pair, a birding book and go on from there. There is much less focus on the the hardware.... I feel is quite possible to derive 99% of the enjoyment from a pair of $300 binocular instead spending $1,300. This fourm enables us to share info about which ones are worthy of consideration.

Erik D

#4 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 09 August 2005 - 04:19 PM

Well spotted Bryant !

Regards , Kenny

#5 Swedpat

Swedpat

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:09 PM

Erik!

I expressed my opinion out from my personal thought. If i can't afford (as the most people) for example a Swarovski 10x50, a Pentax, Minolta or Nikon 10x50 is available for about a 1/5 of the price with an opical quality many people don't notice the difference if they don't attempt to notice it. They are even more lightweight than the Swarovskis, and also waterproof.

Swarovski is actually my favorite if I would be going for a 50mm or 56mm binocular, but for the moment I don't think it's worth the price. And I think many other think the same. For half the price of one Swarovski 10x50, I get a Pentax 10x50 PCF WPII, one Oberwerk 25x100, and a tripod a to the Obie...

My reaction is pointed to the claiming of birders that you have to invest at least half a monthly salary or more to get a good binocular. That isn't true.

Patric

#6 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:52 PM

I've been boidwatching for twenty years and I have never spent more than ~$100 for bird glasses. I'm sure I do not speak for many other birdwatchers, but I find bino-astronomy to be much more demanding, optically speaking.

MIkeG

#7 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:52 PM

< My reaction is pointed to the claiming of birders that you have to invest at least half a monthly salary or more to get a good binocular. That isn't true. >

Patric ,

One has to take into account what " half a month's salary " equates to in every case , but in principle , I agree with you entirely.

There is indeed a lot of " HYPE " involved with " top end " gear for almost any hobby , sport or pastime I can think of.

I think it very important that ALL such markets can provide REASONABLE , USEABLE equipment at prices people CAN afford , even if those people might have to scrimp and save a little to buy it.

This does not necessarily mean that a $100 Porro prism bino is going to be as wise an investment or as pleasure - inducing a purchase as a $1000 roof prism bino for someone who has spent the past ten or twenty years looking through Leica binoculars every day.

Thinking back to BVD , specifically , I think that companies such as Swift DID deserve that " award of special merit " that Stephen Ingraham so thoughtfully invented , for those wonderful , no - nonsense , original Audubon Porro 8.5 x 44s with 8.2 degree TFOV.

Many people , myself included , will continue to miss the STYLE of reviewing that Steve Ingraham provided.

Regards , Kenny

#8 Swedpat

Swedpat

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:16 PM

Kenny,

I actually really want to order the Swift 8,5x44 roof model but it costs more than two Pentax 10x50 PCF WPII together, and I think the optical quality is equal. I can get a Pentax 10x50 and an Oberwerk 15x70 for less the price and that is VERY attempting now when it starts to be starry sky at autumn...
A 8,5x44 is quite near a 10x50 in both the magnification and light gathering power. The Swift porro model shall be even sharper but the roof model is more compact and is better suited for eyeglasses. I will give a report of my decision soon...

Patric

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:59 PM

I've personally been looking in every nook, cranny, crevasse, earthquake fault, and gopher hole in search of that one best performing multi-purpose bino for birding, bugging, butterflying, girl-watching, neighbor-snooping, and casual wide-angle star-chasing, and having read most of the archived posts here, on CD, BirdForum, BVD, and many other internet links, have found a few jewels and specks of gold here and there as a result of my prospecting. In the end, it was more a matter of performance than price for me, more a matter of contrast and resolution than status-symbol. The Nikon 8x32 SE ended up on top of the short list in the general-purpose category.

Bryant

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics