•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

25x100 Celestrons and a Skywindow

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:49 PM

I really like my 25x100 celestrons, but have found them difficult to use and share, because of their shear size, and inability to tripod mount them and share with others, as I am 6'4". Early after I got them, I began looking into first surface mirrors, and bought one. This was before the manufacturers made it clear that most were float glass, and 1 lambda......... Needless to say the first mirror, shown in the picture below, didnt cut it for 25x. It worked fine for 7x50s and was usable up to 11x80's.

Periodically I would scour the net for a quality affordable first surface mirror with enough size to do the 25x100s. Well I finally found one at surplus shed $225, that was said to be 1/10 wave...... I ordered 3, a spare and one for a friend, and crossed my fingers.

Well the swamp that has been over eastern PA finally cleared, and it was the best night ever with binos..... the 25x100's and the 18x70 astrolux were unbelievable. I thought I would share my success with the group. I am not in any way affiliated with Surplus shed, but when I bought mine, they had about 20 of these mil specs surplus items on the shelf.... The bad news is that one of the three should signs of degredation of the aluminization and had to be returned, but the other two are in great shape. Below is a picture of the original mirror, and mount, and the new mil spec sky mirror, many happy evenings will be had with this. The rare earth magnets on the bino are used to attach a green laser.

Attached Thumbnails

• 553899-skywindow.jpg

#2 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 10 August 2005 - 08:18 PM

Where'd you get the winged ep cups for those? That's not standard Celestron issue...

MikeG

#3 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2005 - 08:55 PM

The winged "eyecups" are from Baker Marine, and are a winged eyeshield, very similar, although better than what was on the venerable mark-41 Wide anges. They are greatb ut expensive $25. They really make a difference, even more so on wide angle binos.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics