•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SLT 130 Backlash problem Solved

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 snoopy3440

snoopy3440

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

I have been going crazy over the since last week trying to figure this out,after all the forum searches,firmware upgrades,call to celestron ,it took 30 careful min in the garage,the problem,from the time i got this scope i always had a little hesitation going from left to right [AZ]but nothing major,always got good alignment, last week we were out and it had a big delay,with rate on 9 it would take 4 sec to reverse,and forget about lower speeds, on the forums everyone suggested different backlash setting,tried them all no different,called celestron,lady read manual to me,useless [she tried]then i took it out to the garage and thought it me against this mount,LOL,which turned out to be a very simple fix,take the batts out there are 4 screws holding the the batt holder in place-remove the bat holder and you will see a nut in the center with some washers,carefully take them off in watch the order the washers come off and let the bottom slide down,now you will see a big gear there and has 2 screws holding it,this was the problem the screws were loose from day one,i put lock tight on them put them back ,put the rest back togather and wala,no delay no backlash,i never had a problem with the alt only the AZ now when i stop while slewing right and go back to the left it instantly goes left no delay,as you can tell i am a happy camper,i am having a zhummel 8-24mm zoom eyepiece delivered tomorrow, cant wait for the weekend,i know this is no big dob but to me its the hubble, LOL and me and the family have a great time with it.
Hopefully this will help someone else out and they dont have to spend 4 days going crazy trying to figure it out

Ron

#2 Herr Ointment

Herr Ointment

Cosmos

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

One must be brave, grasshopper. All will be revealed if one chooses to see!

#3 snoopy3440

snoopy3440

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

One must be brave, grasshopper. All will be revealed if one chooses to see!

How about 'snatch the pebble from my hand 'thats what would have happened if i did not fix it,celestron would have snatch a few pebbles from my wallet to fix it LOL so i had no choice

Ron

#4 Herr Ointment

Herr Ointment

Cosmos

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

Swedesboro NJ......Home of Swanson and Svenson and Jensen?

I digress. I had one of these mounts and quite liked it once I opened it up and did the work that it needed. A wood tripod and some weight really made it shine and now I'm tinkin I vish I still had dat der ting.

#5 Tel

Tel

Voyager 1

• In Memoriam

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:02 AM

"It's English, Jim, but not as WE know it" !

:rofl2:

#6 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:14 AM

Nice job, Ron! And good to know for future reference when someone else has this problem. Now ... go enjoy that scope!

-Dan

#7 Peter9

Peter9

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

Thanks for the report Ron. Pleased it solved your problem, and it will stand others in good stead.

Regards. Peter.

#8 snoopy3440

snoopy3440

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

-----[quote name="herrointment"]Swedesboro NJ......Home of Swanson and Svenson and Jensen?-----

Well i don't know if any of those guys live here maybe in year 1600 when it was settled,but i do know there is one happy guy here that owns a 130slt and has a smile from ear to ear LOL,i couldn't wait for the weekend got home and fedx had my new zhummel 8-24 zoom lens,set the scope out back it was still daylight,ran it threw some slewing and all looked good with the new lens with 2x barlow,did not have much time, so the first thing i see in the west is Venus,sun is just setting,so i thought i would try solar align,i usually do 2star or sky align,but being in a rush i wanted to try it to test the gears,it confirmed in the handset and slewed 180 deg to Saturn ,but it was low on the horizon and i still could not see it and still not dark yet [bit impatient]so i waited a bit then i saw a faint glimmer over head and realized it mars ,now i had a target to test,hit goto and with the ep on 24 it hit it on the corner of the lens,not dead center but thousand times better than before,so i set the rate on 3 and nugged it on center, the motor and controller worked better than the day i got it,now i selected Saturn and it slewed right down i peeked in and there it was not dead center but in the FOV,i centerd it up on lower rates and played with the new zoom lens ,which i thought was great,i walked away and let the scope sit for about 30min and went back and tracking was dead on,wow what a great night,it was a quickie just to test it out but i feel like i got a new scope again,and very pleased with only needing one EP,just as i was finishing up and putting the scope away i see with the naked eye this glimmer going by,it was a satellite,dont know which did not have the ipad ,but it was a great night to be out for a few hrs with the scope working properly,now i cant wait for the weekend,scope tuned up,little fire going some good wine with family and friends ,it doesn't get any better,LOL

Ron

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics