•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

DSX-125

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

#51 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 August 2005 - 02:56 AM

(Carnival Barker's Voice:yay:): Hurry, hurry, hurry. Only 9 DSX-125's left in the Meade Factory Outlet. Hurry, hurry, hurry before they are all gone!

I wonder how the customer service folks at Meade feel about so many of these being unleashed on the general population :foreheadslap:.

#52 acc

acc

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 31 August 2005 - 02:39 PM

I wonder how the customer service folks at Meade feel about so many of these being unleashed on the general population :foreheadslap:.

Job security? :p

#53 silversurfer

silversurfer

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:59 PM

You know John, you are right! The image of the clips was one I took BEFORE my final assembly. While it fit on the shaft, it did not go into the mount cleanly. I ended up using a different clip like the one on the attached tile. Sorry for the confusion! :foreheadslap:

Attached Thumbnails

• 583945-clip.jpg

#54 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:20 PM

Thanks! My epoxy job failed. My first use of the clip you originally used failed. I'm now on my second clip, with the difference of having glued coarse sandpaper to the end of each aluminum prong. I'm waiting for the tube to come back from Meade to see how it holds up. If that fails, I'll try the clip in the picture. And if THAT fails, then it's time for the 'final solution', where you screw the big gear wheel to the aluminum casing.

#55 silversurfer

silversurfer

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:53 AM

That clip should work. It took some doing to get it onto the shaft even with circlip pliers. If the clip you install fits as snugly as the one I did, it shouldn't come off. Sorry to have stirred you in the wrong direction originally. It's been almost a year since I had to mess with this thing and forgot that I had played musical clips...

#56 Rainbow

Rainbow

Viking 1

Posted 14 September 2005 - 08:19 AM

Nice review John Z

#57 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2005 - 11:32 PM

Success!

I got my DSX-125 tube back from Meade today - they did a wonderful job of collimating it. Perfectly round diffraction rings at all points of focus. And the big clip I put in the mount is doing its job - I used the scope for an hour before the full moon came up and there were no problems.

GOTO's are still inconsistent, but synching makes them very accurate for a limited area of sky. It also seems to like running on AC motor - the motors sound awesome!

#58 mikee

mikee

Apollo

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:02 AM

That's great news! I'm glad they fixed it up for you.

Mike

#59 GUNER

GUNER

Throw Me A Clue Here

Posted 22 September 2005 - 12:14 AM

John,
Glad all is well. My 125 is running fine. I have the same GOTO problems as you but just SYNC on a nearby object.

#60 GUNER

GUNER

Throw Me A Clue Here

Posted 23 September 2005 - 03:50 PM

The 125's are back on the EB site. But I think there is only 1 available.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...9QQcmdZViewItem

#61 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2005 - 10:00 AM

The mark of a good telescope is one that leaves you with a good feeling after you've used it - especially when you take it out after not having used it for awhile.

I am continually surprised at how good the DSX really is, once you fix some of its quirks. Once you fix the slipping slip ring, and give it a decent power source, it's a very competent telescope.

It consistently gets closer to the initial alignment stars than I can get with my ETX-90PE. And while GOTOs over the entire sky aren't as accurate, within a limited area where you have synched on an object, they are very, very good. Tracking isn't as good as the ETX, but the movement of the tube is smoother, with less backlash, 'rubber banding', and other oddities.

The optics are the same as the ETX. The portability is wonderful, and even the mount/tripod, while not as solid as the ETX, is serviceable, even at high power.

So, surprisingly, this bargain basement priced closeout telescope is actually quite good.

For those who are interested, I've attached a file explaining how to add a power jack to the mount so you can power it with a standard Meade power plug instead of the funky 9 volt connector.

Attached Files

#62 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2005 - 01:13 PM

We had a public event at the local observatory last Saturday night. There is a 16" Meade under a dome, but you have to climb a tall stepladder to look through it (dome originally configured for a 12" newtonian circa 1980). I normally don't bring a telescope, but becuase the DSX is so light and portable, I brought it along. I'm glad I did!

There were some elderly people who could not get on the ladder, and if it weren't for my DSX, they would not have been able to look through a telescope.

The DSX performed okay, but GOTO's got progressiveley worse during the night, and then I noticed some slippage in the azimuth axis. So I've made some adjustments to see if they will make a difference. The DSX GOTO's have always been off by a few degrees when I slew to a portion of the sky that is away from the alignment stars. So I wonder if the slippage was the cause - we will see.

#63 RBTinFL

RBTinFL

Messenger

Posted 11 October 2005 - 07:21 PM

John, Mike and others,

Received my DSX90 MAK last Thursday. Had the same issue with the manual addendum that Mike reported. Leaving the darn thing the way it came turns out to be the only way to get the drives to work. The next day the AC adapter came, great improvement in drives.

Since we have no sky to work with I have been playing with the Goto in my home office with my The Sky6 software. I set the software and Goto for the same date and time. After training drives, getting a level mount and going for Easy Align the two stars it always wishes to align on are Rigel and then Pollux. The OTA slews to about the right AZ and ALT for both. However, when I then use the Goto to slew to Polaris (as it’s handy from the Star by name menu ) the Azimuth appears to be fairly accurate but I’m not too confident in the ALT settings. Keep in mind I cannot align either guide stars so the whole shootin match can be off by a good deal.

My Rigel came today. I will get a couple of zip strips and put it on the OTA. Overall I’m happy with the hardware, although I haven’t seen star one through it yet. I’m hoping the clip for the drive won’t have to be replaced. I get busy signals to the cranium when picking up a screwdriver, so I don’t know if I trust myself to replace the ALT shaft clip.

I might just be real happy starhopping with the Rigel if we ever get any sky to look at.

Cheers,

RT

#64 RBTinFL

RBTinFL

Messenger

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:14 PM

Tonights the big night. Clear Skies!! I installed a Rigel on the DSX90 OTA, have the AC power all set up, and have been training the drive and playing with it in a daylight setting. I'm finding the ALT motor slipping some. I press the up or down key, the drive whines for three seconds or so, then the OTA "jumps" in the direction sent.

I'm just not a handy kinda guy. I don't trust my ability to take apart the arm and perform surgery. If I do get the "impulse", what is the diameter of the shaft clip I need to buy to replace the one that appears to be slipping?

Will report back with a first light report tommorrow.

Cheers,

RT

#65 mikee

mikee

Apollo

Posted 14 October 2005 - 04:20 PM

I just noticed on my DSX-90 that I'm getting Alt slipping too. But in my case I noticed that it depends on the slew speed . When set to Max it seems to force it to engage but when I have it at 6 or 7 it slips.

Mike

#66 RBTinFL

RBTinFL

Messenger

Posted 14 October 2005 - 04:30 PM

Mike,

Same here. I find if I don't REALLY tighten down the ALT arm lock, I get a good eigth to quarter inch play in the arm that I can move back and forth.

Cheers,

RT

#67 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2005 - 11:53 PM

If your ALT is slipping, but engaging after a short delay, I wouldn't worry about getting a slip ring just now - the slip ring is needed when the the tube won't move at all.

Go into the SETUP/TELESCOPE menu and play with the ALT/DEC PERCENT settings. This lets you adjust the amount of backlash in the gears by adjusting the motor speed so that it will take up the slack you are seeing. The numeric range is 0 - 99. The higher the number, the faster the motor will run before engaging.

Also, and before experimenting with the backlash, make sure you have Calibrated the Motors and Trained the Drives.

#68 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2005 - 11:57 PM

Tonights the big night. Clear Skies!! I installed a Rigel on the DSX90 OTA, have the AC power all set up, and have been training the drive and playing with it in a daylight setting. I'm finding the ALT motor slipping some. I press the up or down key, the drive whines for three seconds or so, then the OTA "jumps" in the direction sent.

I'm just not a handy kinda guy. I don't trust my ability to take apart the arm and perform surgery. If I do get the "impulse", what is the diameter of the shaft clip I need to buy to replace the one that appears to be slipping?

Will report back with a first light report tommorrow.

Cheers,

RT

I'll see if I have an extra clip, and if so, I will measure it. If not, you can do what I did. I bought slip rings in a variety of sizes and tried different ones until I found one that fit. They are very inexpensive, so this approach doesn't cost a lot.

#69 mikee

mikee

Apollo

Posted 15 October 2005 - 07:49 AM

Mike here. I'm think I'm also having an Azimuth problem. When the DSX azimuth locking nut on the bottom of the tripod is firmly tightened, my scope swings freely in Azimuth. I tightened the locking nut inside the battery compartment and that did one of two things -
1) If it's tightened enough so that the base won't swing in azimuth, then the motors can't move it either
2) Tightened enough so that moves relatively easily and then the motors seem to work.

I seem to recall that it shoudn't move in Azimuth unless the motors are driving it. Is that correct or am I hallucinating?

Thanks
Mike

#70 RBTinFL

RBTinFL

Messenger

Posted 15 October 2005 - 11:05 AM

Don't have time to write a full first light report this morning, but overall it did not go too bad. The moon was the biggest factor in seeing overall.

John, Thanks for the feedback re: the slipring. I will play with the ALT/DEC Percent settings. I have already Trained the drives numerous times

Regarding the CALIBRATE DRIVES. I don't remember seeing anything in the manual to do this. Is there a link somewhere or will the menu system walk me through the proceedure.

Thanks Again!! Having some support from other uses is quite reassuring.

Good Luck Mike!!

Cheers,

RT

#71 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2005 - 02:18 AM

Mike and RT -

My DSX developed an azimuth problem where it eventually moved freely and consequently there was a lot of slippage when slewing. What I discovered is you have to turn that nut counterclockwise to tighten it up (go figure). Turn it too much, and the scope won't move - so it's a bit of trial and error to get just the right tension. But again, clockwise to loosen, counterclockwise to tighten.

As for calibrate, it's one of the menu items, and there is nothing fancy about it. Select it, and each motor will move the scope a small distance. I honestly don't know what it does, but it doesn't hurt to do it once very now and then.

#72 mikee

mikee

Apollo

Posted 16 October 2005 - 08:09 AM

Thanks John - Meade has some odd stuff going on inside their hardware software don't they! I'll try the counter clockwise turn.

I did a retrain last night and am still having altitude slipping. I hit the up arrow and the motor spins for 2 seconds and then "catches" and jumps up 2/3 of the through a 26mm eyepiece FOV.

The rubberbanding seems to have quieted down a bit since retraining though. But this other problem is bothersome. My gut feeling is that when the motors are spinning the encoders are "tracking" and then as soon as you GOTO another object the scope is totally out of alignment. That's just my guess though.

Mike

#73 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2005 - 12:27 PM

Mikee -

That much slippage doesn't sound good - and as I recall, that is what led me to discover the slip ring problem. I kept tightening the clutch to minimize the slippage, and then I heard that "pop" of the slip ring inside doing it's little dance.

So, you may want to try gradually tightening the clutch and see if it can minimize the slippage, bearing in mind that there is a good chance you'll pop the ring. I've attached a file that has information others have provided that explains how to replace the ring.

The backlash adjustment is designed to compensate for play in the gears - ans to some extent, it can help with a slipping clutch, but not completely.

Attached Files

#74 mikee

mikee

Apollo

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:47 PM

John -

Thanks a lot for aggregating that infomraiton into a single document - gave me the confidence I needed to tear it apart.

I took mine apart and the slip ring was in the correct place so that's not the issue. But after putting it back together, I was able to slew up and down the full altitude range in several different slew speeds without any slipping. The only thing I did while I was in there was to mop up the grease that was dripping off the large gear. I'm not sure if that could cause the slipping or not.

One question though is that when putting it back together, how tight is the flat nut on the altitude lock supposed to be (step #6 in your document)? I thought I should tighten it fully but then the altitude gear didn't appear to move. Maybe that was where my problem was - could it have been too loose?

Anyway, I still need to try it under the night sky so I'll post back what I find.

After all this I think I'm going to buy one of those Vixen Icarus alt/az mounts to put my OTA on and have some fun doing some good old fashioned astronomy instead of mechanical and electrical engineering... ;)

Mike

#75 mikee

mikee

Apollo

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:42 AM

Hi John -

As I said, I'm not sure what I did other then tighten up a few things and remove some excess grease but taking it apart and putting it back together seems to have fixed my main problem - the motors now engage as soon as (or shortly enough after) I click the up or down arrows on the keypad. Yeah!!

I still don't know what's up with alignment but only have a #494 Autostar to compare it to. When I do a two star alignment, why does tracking start before I've completed the alignment? My #494 doesn't do that it waits until you align both stars and it finishes with "Align Successful" before the motors start tracking. Is that the normal behaviour of the #497 controller? An example is that I select Altair as my first alignment star and then as soon AutoStart stops slewing and beeps, the gears engage and the motors start tracking.

Thanks again for all the help.

Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics