•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

DSX-125

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

#76 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:23 AM

Hi Mikee -

I'm not sure if it's normal for Autostar to start tracking or not - Later today, or tonight, I'll fire up my DSX and observe its behavior, then get back to you. I guess I've never paid attention to that, although it would seem silly to have the tube start tracking before you've finished alignment.

One thing to check is the Autostar Menu. Under the Setup Menu there is a selection called Targets. The choices are Terrestial and Astronomical. When you first turn on Autostar, it should default to Terrestial so that the drive motors aren't running. After alignment, that should automatically change to Astronomical. You may want to check and see what that selection says before you start alignment. If it says Astronomical, then that might explain why it's tracking, but that would mean the drive motors are running even before you begin the alignment process.

#77 mikee

mikee

Apollo

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:08 PM

Thanks John - Yeah, I checked the Targets and it was set to Terrestrial. I'll wait to hear back what you find.

I'm also going to try and update my Autostar to the 4.0 version that's out to see if that helps.

Mike

#78 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2005 - 05:01 PM

Hi Mikee -

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

I just checked my DSX-125 in the daytime. Before starting the alignment process, I do not hear the motors running. As soon as it's finished slewing to the first alignment star, I do hear them running, so I suspect the scope has begun tracking even though alignment hasn't been completed. I suppose this makes sense. If the scope wasn't tracking, you would not get as accurate a centering on the alignment star.

#79 mikee

mikee

Apollo

Posted 21 October 2005 - 08:19 PM

Hi John -

No problem and thanks for the report. I just wanted to make sure my scope wasn't acting "funny" being that it was such a great deal!

BTW, I just bought a vixen Icarus Alt/az mount to put the OTA on for "organic" grab and go access and I really like it a lot.

Thanks again!

Mike

#80 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:54 PM

Hi folks! Can somebody tell me how much the DSX-125 OTA (just the tube) weighs? I'm planing to replace my orginal DS-2114ATS tube with a new 127 mm Maksutov OTA (about 3,2 kg = 7 lbs) and want to be sure that the mount (DS-2000 goto) can handle it. Thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics