•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

telescope covers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• topic starter

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:18 PM

Alright, before I had asked about covering the Hardin with cloth, paint or contact paper to decorate it. But now I would like to make a cover for it while at star parties and leaving it out in the field all day. Sue gave me some great ideas on how to make one for the Hardin, but I'll be making one for the LX200 as well.

My question is, there are several types of material I can use, one of which would be a relective material. Other's would be canvas, cotton/linens/or rainproof.

I'm worried about the rainproof one and thought maybe a breathable cloth would be best. Wouldn't a linen type cloth be good enough as it will shade the scope as well?

Thanks!

#2 Sue

Sue

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:46 PM

Erika, I used a lightweight duckcloth type fabric and sprayed it with waterproof spray that I had for my kids tennis shoes. I wanted it to be moisture resistant, not necessarily waterproof. It would be simple to cut a pattern and sew a cover for any type of telescope. The one I'm designing for my NexStar actually has a tie criss-crossed along the length so I can tighten and loosen. If I haven't told you before, there's a round piece of foam sewn into the top of my Hardin cover to protect the glass. I'll include that in my NexStar cover as well.

#3 MMICKELS

MMICKELS

Aluminum Knight

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:55 PM

For star parties I would just get one of those thin reflective emergency blankets to wrap it in. I'm only thinking of keeping it cool though.

#4 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:06 PM

Erika,
Here is the "mother of all cover sites":
Camera Concepts
Look down the page to Desert Storm Shields, which are waterproof, heavy, mylar covers that will last for years. The cover will be too long and need to be cut for your scope, but these covers are fantastic--sticking your hand up under one in the middle of the day reveals that the scope is kept near nighttime temperatures, as well as being shielded from sun, wind, dust, and rain.
[mine even protected my scope from a passing dog who was marking his territory :lol:]

#5 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:22 PM

astrosystems.biz has dob covers made out of white nylon. Keeps my dob cozy on the patio year round. Although it is NOT intended for that kind of storage.

#6 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 16 August 2005 - 06:05 PM

Ron,
Their covers (and others) are listed on the CameraConcepts link I posted. I know of NO other site with as big a choice in covers.
Don

#7 Brent Burton

Brent Burton

Mariner 2

Posted 16 August 2005 - 06:24 PM

My wife made me a light cotton cover for my 10" Hardin from bright yellow "Sponge Bob" print fabric from the fabric store.
Works great. I mainly use it to cover during the day at dusty star party sights to keep the dust from getting too bad. The bright yellow also reflects enough light to make it fairly cool under the cover.

#8 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:56 AM

Ron,
Their covers (and others) are listed on the CameraConcepts link I posted. I know of NO other site with as big a choice in covers.
Don

Indeed! I had no clue they sourced outside their own website. Thanks for heads up. :bow:

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 17 August 2005 - 10:17 AM

How about a simple and inexpensive garbage bag?
That is what I and many here use.
Mike

#10 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 17 August 2005 - 10:42 AM

Gargage bags?
How eminently practical:
--cheap
--available in white
--available with thick gauges for durability
--available in hundreds of stores
--waterproof.
[I wonder how many of these I could have bought for the price of one Desert Storm Shield? :question: :lol:]
But:
--no custom sizes to fit big scopes.

#11 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• topic starter

Posted 17 August 2005 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I appreciate your input and will hunt down some material hopefully this weekend. :bow:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics