•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Weight of Orange Tube C8 OTA

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Michael2

Michael2

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

Hi could someone tell me or direct me to where I can find the weight of an Orange Tube C8?
I am seriously considering removing the forks and going to a iOptron Mini Tower or CG-5 type GOTO Mount for strictly Visual.

Michael
Australia.

#2 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

Michael:

It will be in the neighborhood of 12.5# with a CG5 rail installed. A bit more with a D-series/CGE rail installed.

Regards,

Jim

#3 Michael2

Michael2

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:17 AM

Thanks for the information Jim. :bow:
I forgot about a Rail. :shocked: I guess the widest rail would be best to resist flexing.

Michael.

#4 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

Here's a superb website with information on the Celestron C8:
http://www.astronomyasylum.com/c8.html

I'm searching the diameter of the secondary mirror of a Celestron C8?
:question:

#5 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

A bare OT C8 is 11# two less than an "Ultima" type.

Early G8s (Ultima type C8 on the early CG-5) came with a wonderful dovetail that had flanges like the CGEM 3" dovetail. This dovetail was drilled for the rear cell's 1.75" tapped accessory mounting holes. Later G8 optical tubes were drilled and tapped for the narrower and less substantial extruded 1.7" dovertail bar.

I like to machine the common 13" extruded bars so they fit the C8 tightly with no bridging. I often find the OT C8 optics have to be removed for cleaning and will take the opportunity to drill and tap the rear cell for a #10-24 screw to make mounting easier.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics