•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Small Maks: Orion vs Meade ETX?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Doggie

Doggie

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2005 - 08:44 PM

I am going to buy a small Mak for a grab and go scope. I have whittled the choices down to a 102mm Orion or Meade ETX. I am tending toward the Orion because it seems to get good press here and will allow me to use my existing Televue diagonal without buying an adaptor. It is also cheaper ;)

Based upon pure performance does anyone have a preference between these two? I will mainly be using it for Moon and planets. I have a small refractor for wide views.

Thanks a lot,

Paul

#2 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

Posted 22 August 2005 - 09:28 PM

Hi Paul,

Both scopes are popular choices. The ETX series even has its own forum here.

If it's going to be an L/P scope, you might not want to bother about the GOTO, since you really don't need a computer to find those targerts. Could allow a little extra cash for a good planetary EP. The Orions are especially noted as good L/P performers.

#3 Blair

Blair

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 August 2005 - 09:59 PM

I use the 102mm Mak for Double stars. It performs very well at 186X on Izar. The secondary star easy to see. Mars is getting closer and it will be good for that.

I have Celestron's C5 and the Orion Mak gives sharper views on double stars (less diffraction rings on Izar, for instance). Of course, I keep the C5 for DSO viewing (as it is the largest scope I want to deal with).

At about five pounds it is hard to beat the portability of Orion's 102mm Mak. :grin:

#4 ccvle

ccvle

Mariner 2

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:16 PM

How is the ETX series with the one arm mount?

#5 Michael Morris

Michael Morris

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:02 AM

If you want a grab-and-go scope I'd go for a fork mounted model to save on the weight of counterweights on an equatorial mount. I've had an ETX 90 for 41/2 years now and think it's a great little scope.

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:38 AM

How is the ETX series with the one arm mount?

If you mean the DSX-90 that is offered through the Meade Factory Outlet for $275, be forewarned you may have some problems with the mount - the altitude mechanism has a slip ring that is prone to popping out, requiring you to disassamble the mount to fix it. Stability may also not be the greatest due to the flimsy tripod. Optically, it should be pretty good. If you like to tinker, it's one heck of a buy.

#7 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 30 August 2005 - 03:52 PM

I have never had an opportunity to look through an Orion/Synta Mak. I have viewed through the ETX Maks, and own a 127mm version tube assembly that is not the usual model, and an ETX 90RA (old, pre computerized). The optics on both are extremely good. While it cannot show as much as my larger stuff, i think it (ETX 90)has the best quality optically, i have owned.
The Orion Maks clear aperture is about 5% less than there stated size, since Orion/Synta uses the measurement of the primary, not the size of the primary not blocked by the corrector plate. That may not matter much. On the up side, the Orions do not have the bodily intergrated diagonal assembly the ETX series does. That would make them easier to use if you want to mount it on a small equatorial or an alt-azm mount.

#8 Doggie

Doggie

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 August 2005 - 05:17 PM

Thanks to all for the feedback. I have a line on a very reasonably priced Orion 127mm OTA and will see how it does with a Giro Mini. I will post when I get it set up..

Best,

Paul

#9 scupking

scupking

Mariner 2

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:34 PM

I have an Orion 127 and love it. You will like the scope.

#10 UWastronomer

UWastronomer

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:35 PM

I like the Orion 127. Just one complaint. It came with the rubber o-rings on the R/A and Dec axis, it's fine for the first few months or outings. Just one year later, the shaking will get on your nerves. I took mine apart, polished the gears (well, sort of. Took a dremel buffing wheel to it), changed out the black guck oil that was in it to something better (but I should have used something even better than I did...), pulled out plastic bushings that didn't help, changed the o-rings to nylon bushings, etc. etc. and made it better than new. :D That's something to consider, a new optical tube, but a used mount that has been tuned from the previous owner. Strange how some things get better wit age, seriously! :waytogo:

And as you can see, I really like to use my Mak Too! That's me looking through it, not at nothing in particular and standing as still as I could for a friend to photograph me.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics