•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

"Newbie" question re: Dobsonian

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 Nauset

Nauset

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2004 - 09:16 PM

I presently have an "old" spotting scope on an EQ and am intersted in getting a Dobsonian. I live on Cape Cod (Massachusetts), so I'm free of light polluted sky. I could keep it in my garage and "wheel" it out to my backyard on a homemade wooden platform with locked wheels. Am I crazy? Lost? Looney? Gone 'round the bend? or just plain blind?!!! Help!!! :help:
:help: :shrug:

#2 matt

matt

Vendor (Scopemania)

Posted 25 January 2004 - 01:53 AM

Seems like a very good idea to me. How big a dobsonian are you planning to get?

If you just plan on leaving it there, and want a big dob, you will not need a truss dobsonian, you can take a tube one which will be cheaper.

#3 Nauset

Nauset

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2004 - 08:11 PM

I'm thinking of an 8" Dob and am willing to spend around$500-maybe a little more...then some for lenses or ?

I'm in no great rush and am just starting to look around and gathering info and advice... so I'm all ears!

Thanks!

Betsy :winky:

#4 Blair

Blair

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 January 2004 - 08:25 PM

http://www.seansastronomyshop.com/

10 inch Dobsonian for $490 including shipping.

:jump:

#5 luckyman

luckyman

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 February 2004 - 08:57 PM

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with the 10" dobsonian scopes at seans astronomy shop? This seems to be a great price thanks

#6 Nauset

Nauset

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 01 February 2004 - 10:32 PM

Yes, I was I looked at them also. It didn't mention the manufacturer's name...or did I miss something. Hmmm... Any thoughts on this anyone?

Betsy :question:

#7 Harvest Moon

Harvest Moon

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 01 February 2004 - 10:36 PM

Hey Betsy, I don't know if you saw my last post in your other thread. Those scopes at Sean's are the same as the Hardin Deep Space Hunter. (See X-post thread in the equipment forum).

#8 erik

erik

telescope surgeon

Posted 01 February 2004 - 10:37 PM

i would reccomend the orion XT series dobs or perhaps the hardins. the meades use cardboard tubes and have a horrible plastic focuser. they also need a lot more modifications to be usable. discovery makes nice mirrors but they also use cardboard sonotubes, which i dont think look as nice as the steel tubes and aren't as durable.orion now also has the new intelliscopes that use a manual go-to pointing system. you can buy that separately for $149 later.(actually, you'd have to buy that later-i think the hand controllers are still backordered)-erik wilcox

#9 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 01 February 2004 - 10:39 PM

Hey Betsy,
I don't know if you saw my last post in your other thread.
Those scopes at Sean's are the same as the Hardin Deep Space Hunter. (See X-post thread).

They are the older models with the older base. The scope is the same one that you and I have, Carolyn. I was at Sean's today and used it to measure the rings needed to mount the 8".

#10 Nauset

Nauset

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 01 February 2004 - 11:38 PM

Okay guys, now you really have me chewing off my fingernails :bigshock: Thanks Carolyn and Tom. Yes I just saw your post in my X-Post thread. Two things. One, I was considering the Orion Skyquest XT8 IntelliScope that uses a manual go-to pointing system (bought separtely) as mentioned above by Erik...or is this a real waste of money and just a "gimick"? Second, since the scopes at Sean's are the OLDER Hardin Deep Space Hunter models, with the older base..what is the significant difference Tom?

I need HELP!!! :help: :help: :tonofbricks:

#11 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 01 February 2004 - 11:44 PM

The only difference is the design of the base unit. It isn't that big of a deal, in my opinion. The scope is what you care about and it is the same. The base is just a little bit different in design.

#12 Nauset

Nauset

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 01 February 2004 - 11:50 PM

Thanks Tom for your quick reply. I just reread your note on my X-Post - you did mention you wanted to mount it for astrophotography purposes I believe. Any thought on the Go-To?

Betsy

#13 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:16 AM

Betsy, I am putting mine on the EQ mount so I can get tracking. I don't really mind the nudge, nudge of a Dob and I have every intention of making a 12.5" truss dob in the future. They are a fine scope and a good, simple, intuitive design. I'll probably make an EQ platform for it also...but that is in the distant future.

As for the GoTo...it is nice and I have it on my smaller refractor, but I never use it. I use the motors for the tracking. If you mean the electronic setting circles on the intelliscope, I don't know...I've never had a chance to use them. I don't think that I would personally use them, but we are all different in what we like and don't like.

Good luck and don't let analysis paralysis keep you from getting a scope.

#14 erik

erik

telescope surgeon

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:29 AM

nauset, the manual go-to can be useful if you live in an area with light pollution, because it' sometimes hard to starhop if you cant find the stars! i dont know how accurate the orion pointing system is, i had an older sky wizard version that i was less than impressed with, but the new system is intregated into the mount(the sky wizard had these cheesy plastic encoders and gears that would slip).the orions and hardins also have a tension system built in so that you dont have to rebalance the scope every time you change eyepieces.i think the orion XT8 is the perfect starter scope, with an option to add on later(they also now have the "classic" XT8 for $399. -erik wilcox

#15 Nauset

Nauset

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:57 AM

Thanks again!
I think I'll look inyo the Hardin 8" Dob at Sean's and forgo the IntelliScope since I live on Cape Cod which has little light pollution (only people pollution during the summer).

#16 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

Posted 02 February 2004 - 01:04 AM

Get the 10" for $490!!!! you won't regret it. (just make sure it fits in your car, it probably will, usually the 12" is the one that's marginal)

.......Curtis

#17 Nauset

Nauset

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 02 February 2004 - 02:23 PM

Curtis,
I don't have a SUV. I have a Ford Taurus. Do you think the 10" would fit? :question:

#18 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

Posted 02 February 2004 - 02:34 PM

Do what I did, measure. The tube is 48" long. It might fit across the back seat.

.......Curtis

#19 Nauset

Nauset

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 02 February 2004 - 10:54 PM

#20 Nauset

Nauset

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 02 February 2004 - 10:57 PM

Whoops!
I could put down the back seats in my car and load it up like a pair o ski's!!!

#21 Harvest Moon

Harvest Moon

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 02 February 2004 - 11:16 PM

I have the 8 inch. It fits onto the backseat of my Sebring. The mount fits in my trunk. You just have to make sure it is shorter than the inside of your car.

If you live in a dark area and think you can handle the 10 inch scope, I would go for it but it is more cumbersome and heavier, which is something to consider because if you find it too hard to handle then you won't want to use it. That is where your cart will really come in handy. :grin:

I don't know anything about the Intelliscope's setting circles but I do know you still have to know your way around the sky to use it. I think you would be happy with the Deep Space Hunter because it is a lot of scope for a good price, it is well built and easy to set up. You can't go wrong. There are several of us who have that scope, and we all like it a lot.

Good luck!

#22 Nauset

Nauset

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 02 February 2004 - 11:31 PM

I apologize. I am having a problem corresponding tonight. I got caught up on one of my original callings in life... to be a silversmith.. and was busy with old stuff earlier. Anyhow....!!!! Back Now!!! I'm also concern about the weight. Also, as as I stated earlier, and as I had read from some "maskedman", about a week ago, that he had put a platform with locked wheels onto the base of his Dob.
I live on Cape Cod and could wheel the Dob from my garage to my front yard, in front of my pool, below is Plesant Bay with Nauset beach and the Atlantic behind it!
Damm the Street light to right at the end of the road!
PLEASE!!!! I want a Dob... I'm no young chick that can carry a ton of weight around but I'm willing to. But I do have the geographical position to afford the opportunity to view from a fairly light-polluted sky and would really appreciate the experience and recomendation on how to about applying the idea of a stable platform with locked wheels.

Thanks, Betsy
This life: USN,LT; USA,CPT, PDRL, R.D., R.D., R.D.

#23 Nauset

Nauset

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 02 February 2004 - 11:35 PM

Carolyn,
Please respond!
what do you mean by "cart" because I am seriously getting close to orderind this sucker soon and as you can tell by my spelling getting more nervous by the secound!

#24 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 02 February 2004 - 11:49 PM

Betsy...it will be there tomorrow. Take a deep breath, ok.

The base on the Hardin 8" dob is 20#. The OTA (the scope itself) is 20#. I pick mine up together and move it. It is bulky but not really heavy for me, being a big manly, man! (you're supposed to chuckle)! :lol:

It is mainly bulky more than anything else. Like Carolyn said, most of us like or 8" dobs. Guess what...If you buy and decide you don't like it, sell it on Astromart for $350 and chalk it up to learning. I doubt you will sell it anytime soon, though.

You could always get a smaller refractor...most Dob owners end up with one...why not start there and move to the dob later if you are uncomfortable.

#25 Nauset

Nauset

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 02 February 2004 - 11:59 PM

I just had to tell you about the experience I had this evening while I was walking the dog at the end of our road on the bay. Two white swans were positioned right on the ice at the end of the landing which is not unusual..I quiclly took the dog back hom and went back with the camera. The swans were right at the end of the land ing. I kept taking shots and THEY kept posing!!! I took 9 shots all within 5-9 feet of the pair either siiting or standing. It was surreal!! The bay is partially frozen and where I live on the front of the water, is what is referred to as the "River" of "Pleasant Bay". This is the inlet from which (although very small and narrow now) was the home of the writer "Home Sweet Home" By the way,.. the Cape Cod Canal is the World's_________that does Not have Locks?
"Pleasant Dreams from Pleasant Bay, Cape Cod" Yes,....I do hear the atlantic surf at night.......

Betsy

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics