•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX 200 classic f/6.3 ,need help

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Suresh

Suresh

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 August 2005 - 08:54 AM

Hello friends,
I was very excited to buy the LX 200 f/10 but thats sold and the only one that remains is f/6.3.Can I go for it as it is the same price(USD 1500).your opinion will be reaaly useful.

#2 Joel

Joel

Gemini

Posted 27 August 2005 - 01:39 PM

I would wait for an f/10 if you can. The 6.3's are no longer manufactured that I know of and most all are f/10's out there. f/10 gives you a very versatile scope. You can use focal reducers to get down to 3.3/5/6.3 and still have an f/10 for visual observing. Actually the 6.3 focal reducer can be used visually giving you the options of 4 focal lengths with one scope. Of course you could probably use a focal reducer with the 6.3 scope but I'm not sure you would want to.

#3 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:25 PM

Plus, the f6.3 has a larger central obstruction,(I think) which will make it less appealing for visual observing.

#4 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 29 August 2005 - 10:27 AM

well that all depends on use.

if you want to look at full color images the 6.3 is the way to go it offers a fuller flater field then a steped down ten and will drop to an f4 or even closer to f2 with the focal reducers are used. but if you want visual the 10 will better on planets...the 6 will be better on wide fields..
I bought a 6 and a 10 both about the same price
both lx200 classics

either are great scopes with good light gathering ability.

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 03 September 2005 - 12:08 PM

Years ago, I had a Meade LX-6 Premier f/6.3 ten incher. It was a wonderful optical instrument, both for DSOs and the planets. I was more interested in deep space than planetary, though. And the wider field was really nice for that purpose.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics