•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Konus 130 mounting issues

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 August 2005 - 10:05 PM

Does anyone know a way to mount the Konus Motormax 130 to a Celestron CG-4 mount? I got a great price on the scope, but it didn't come with a mount. I currently own a Celestron C102HD, a 4" refractor, and I love it. But in my haste to purchase the Konus, I didn't check for scope to mount compatibility. Does anyone know how to mount a dovetail to a non dovetail head? Ideally, I'd like to incorporate both scopes on this mount, because I live in a tiny apartment in Brooklyn, NY and space is at a premium.

As for the optics of the Konus, I borrowed it for a few nights in the dark skies of the Adirondacks before deciding to purchase it. I must admit, the views were quite stunning. The contrast, detail and portability were very good. The only complaint I have, which is a small one, is that the flip mirror assembly is a bit clunky and the focuser could be smoother. All in all though, I'm very pleased with the scope. My only concern now is just being able to mount it in a way to use it to it's full potential. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :question:

#2 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 28 August 2005 - 11:17 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights! The best bet would be some rotating rings, available from any number of vendors. Measure the OD of your scope's tube (in mm), and get the appropriate rings. The other piece of gear you'll need will be a dovetail, and these, too, are widely available.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:36 PM

Well, I have resolved the mounting problem I had with my Konus 130. I just received a set of mounting brackets from Ken Dauzat(Ken's Rings), which allows the CG5 compatible dovetail on the scope to be retrofitted to my CG4 mount. Even better, I can mount my Konus onto the CG4 without removing the rings that hold my C102 in place! Just what I was looking for. Now my CG4 can pull double duty without too much rearranging in a given night. I can swap my refractor for the Mak and vice versa. http://www.kendauzat.net/ is a great resource for telescope rings and accessories!

-Bill

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics