•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Binoviewers Article

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 mloffland

mloffland

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 29 August 2005 - 09:27 AM

Binoviewers Article

#2 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 29 August 2005 - 01:59 PM

Two of the biggest advantages I am finding in the early going with my Denk II's is comfort, and the ease of low-contrast objects. At the end of a 4 hour observing session, my eyes are not fatigued at all. When I do go cyclops (for very low power finding, or lack matched eyepiece pairs) I do notice the difference.

For tracking down low surface brightness objects (like dark nebula) it is VERY much easier to identify them with two eyes. They just seem to stand out. I've tried using a 15 Panoptic to get magnification close to my 24 Panoptic in the binoviewer, and it is always easier to detect objects in bino mode.

#3 AstroRon

AstroRon

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 August 2005 - 05:13 PM

Well written article John! Thanks to you for writing it and to Mike for posting it!

I should be receiving my Burgess Binos soon and will post my experiences with them, especially combined with the PST.

Regards,

#4 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 29 August 2005 - 06:52 PM

Great job (as always), John! :bow:

#5 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

Vanguard

Posted 29 August 2005 - 09:42 PM

John,

Thank You for the very nice write-up! :)

No mention of the WO and their recent hat in the ring? Any reason, perhaps publishing deadlines?

Later,
Mark

#6 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 29 August 2005 - 09:50 PM

John,

Thank You for the very nice write-up! :)

No mention of the WO and their recent hat in the ring? Any reason, perhaps publishing deadlines?

Later,
Mark

Hi, Mark.

Thanks for the kind words. That article sat in the supply line a little longer than usual; the WO hadn't been announced when it was written.

As folks probably know by now, it should be a good alternative to the Burgess and StellarVue units mentioned. For the same price it will include a simple corrector plus compression ring EP holders. Of course, I haven't seen the WO version but it's not a complete mystery because it comes from the same source as the others.

#7 kfred

kfred

Vanguard

Posted 03 September 2005 - 04:57 PM

Nice article, John - way to go !

Fred

#8 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 03 September 2005 - 06:36 PM

Well done! It's good guide to binoviewing for anyone thinking about jumping in.

#9 Chris Schroeder

Chris Schroeder

Cosmos

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:17 PM

Thanks for article John:waytogo:

#10 astrodon

astrodon

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 September 2005 - 11:27 PM

What about all the additional optical surfaces (more for prisms than mirror BV's I assume)? Don't they potentially degrade the image resolution since they are not perfectly flat? I imagine this is most important for lunar and planetary viewing.
Thanks,
~Don

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics